Thursday, August 15, 2013

Mexican Salad/Dip

Missy, here. The Yank and I switched days this week.

I'm sharing one of my very favorite things today. Picture this if you will...




It's Christmastime... we're having the church staff Christmas party...a few people are late, so we're having appetizers...my friend Kelly, our Family Life Center Director, has brought her famous dip...and her husband Britt has made homemade tortilla chips (fried, no less!)...

I stand there and eat chips and dip...

And eat more dip...

And more...

Then it's time for dinner. We eat our meal. And as we're cleaning up before we head home...

I eat a few more scoops of dip...just to help Kelly and Britt so they don't have to haul the last bits from the bottom of the bowl home.

:) :)

I had a craving this week so texted Kelly to get the recipe. And you're the lucky beneficiaries!

Mexican Salad (but I call it dip since I love it with chips!)


1 can black beans drained and rinsed
1 can Mexi-corn
1 cup grape tomatoes quartered
1/4 cup chopped red onion
1/2 cup Hidden Valley Spicy Ranch Dressing
2 Tbs. chopped cilantro



My grape tomatoes were huge, so I cut them in 6ths or smaller. Must try to make veggies disappear to appeal to middle child!


Same goes for the onions. Teeny tiny.


I'm laughing! I love that several of you are holding your noses right now over the cilantro!) :) :)


I did NOT take time to make homemade chips. So here's what I had on hand.


Scoops are perfect for this dip! Although, my hubby did eat his as a salad. My mouth is watering just looking back at the photos. Must make again soon!


Enjoy!

Visit Missy at www.missytippens.com


18 comments:

  1. yum! sounds good even without the dressing but guess that would be 'salsa' or some kind of pico de gallo huh?! it's a little after midnight here and I'm on my first week of night shift - worked 2 and am off tonight and tomorrow night so that means I sleep and eat - whatever happens! so I woke up early, ran errands, then crashed and woke up a little while ago craving quesadillas with chicken/cheese and avocado and salsa... I like those baked Tostitos- a little delicate for hefty scooping but they hold stuff pretty well! wonder if enough emails could convince them to do them in the blue corn...
    Susanna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scoops of blue corn sound good! And you're right about the baked ones being a little too delicate. I ended up having dip with chip bits sprinlkled on top the next day. :)

      Delete
  2. Yum! I've never been adventurous when it comes to snacking food. At a pot luck I'm always the one who brings dessert or a hearty veggie stew. Maybe I'll surprise people by bringing this next time. :-) Only I don't think I'll wait that long to make it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely try this Kav! It doesn't take long to make.

      Delete
  3. Missy, I know why you love this recipe, because I love it, too. Though my recipe has a chopped avocado and red wine vinegar along with a bit of salt and pepper instead of the dressing. We just call it black bean and corn salsa. But it is SO good. I could almost eat it as a salad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. how much red wine vinegar? sounds good@ I've bought different chunky salsas/picos at Kroger- they have a pineapple one and black bean...
      Susanna

      Delete
    2. thanks! didn't think it would take as much as the spicy ranch dressing...wish I could get the stuff already made more often but I only have RAndalls close by and theirs goes bad fast for some reason - think maybe it's the onion that's the culprit - sometimes I stir it in with some avocado.
      Susanna

      Delete
    3. Avocado would be good in it, too!

      Delete
  4. This is fantastic. Bringing some over to Seekerville today to feed the Rachel Hauck visitors. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh. My. I'm craving this right now! Why didn't I stop by the cafe before my run to the grocery store this morning?

    It looks like this would make an awesome lunch, wouldn't it? Make the salad ahead of time and you've got a great grab-and-head-back-to-the-computer lunch for those heavy writing days.

    Like the one I have today. Edits due on Tuesday, and I threw my hero and heroine a curve yesterday afternoon. Now I have to figure out how to get them out of this mess and on to their HEA in the next two chapters.

    Uff da. What we writers do to ourselves!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like an exciting ending if even you haven't figured it out yet! What fun. :)

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Hey, Rachel! I'm finally home from moving my son in college and will head over to the Seekerville site. Can't wait to read your post!

      Delete
  7. NOMNOM! But I've never heard of Mexicorn! Or spicy ranch. Those might be regional. :D

    Good luck Jan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Virginia, I'd never heard of the spicy ranch either. It's really good!

      Delete
  8. Missy, thank you for jumping in for me!!!! I loves youse this much!!!!!

    Oh my stars, my gut is reeling looking at that. I have this stupid stomach/gut that won't let me eat much of anything with the hint of Mexican or beans.... It's ridiculous because I love the taste and I miss out on all the fun and everybody STARES AT ME when I say in a teeeeeensy Tiiiiiiiinsy voice "I can't eat Mexican".... as if I just ruined their entire evening because I'm a wuss....

    I was in the car earlier and read Rachel's post on my phone... lovely truth in those words!


    So this looks amazingly good, but I'd die with my head in a pillow.

    Having said that.... :) I'm still so happy you traded days with me! You rock.

    I love party foods. They just make things special, don't they? The awesome appetizers (because I can never remember how to spell hors d'oeuvres. Yes, I looked it up, LOL!) The "e" kills me.

    I think we need a party. I'll bring the "wuss" food!!!! Desserts. Desserts never make me sick!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruthy, I'm with you on the word appetizers. I can't ever get close enough on the spelling of the other word to get spell check to correct it!

      I'll make you a deal. I'll bring the spice, you bring the sweet.

      Delete