Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Put on Your Dancing Shoes

It's time for a little salsa.

Okay, so we're not really going to dance. But with a bowl full of yummy salsa, you just might want to.

Here in Texas, salsa is a staple. Some is mild, some will send you running for the nearest fire extinguisher. Some is superb, some...not so much. But there's one thing salsa always is and that's easy to make.

Are you ready?

Good, then let's hit it.

Here's what you'll need:
  • 1 - 10 oz. can diced tomatoes and green chilies (Rotel, I like the mild version)
  • 1 - 14 oz can whole tomatoes
  • 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
  • 1/8 cup chopped onion
  • 1-2 cloves garlic, chopped
  • Jalapeno, diced (I used a half of one, but was told by my crew I needed to add more)
  • a nice-sized pinch of ground cumin
  • a bigger pinch of salt
  • a pinch of sugar
  • the juice of half a lime (except sometimes limes aren't very juicy, in which case I use add the juice of the whole lime)

Dump your tomatoes, juice and all, into a food processor or blender, then throw in everything else.
 
Pulse a few times.
Not quite there, so I scrape down the sides and pulse a few more times.
 
Once you get it to a consistency you like, sample and adjust seasonings, if needed.
Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour.
Pour into a bowl and serve with tortilla chips or whatever you like.
 
This is great for everyday or a party. And if you want to share with someone you love....
It makes a great gift. Maybe add a ribbon around the lid. (Mine was just going into the fridge, so no point wasting perfectly good ribbon)
 
The nice thing is that you can adjust it to your personal taste. Like it a little hotter? Add more jalapeno or start with original Rotel (or both). Like more garlic? Go for it.
 
And now, it's time to dance. This little fella has some awesome salsa moves.
 
 

9 comments:

  1. Cute video! Salsa sounds good too!
    Susanna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susanna, if my dogs were only half that talented.

      Delete
  2. That dog sure knows how to keep time with the music!!!! I may just try this..without the Jalepeno. (stop rolling your eyes!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't rolling my eyes, Kav. Probably because I thought you were talking about the dance:-)

      Delete
  3. Oh man, do I LOVE fresh salsa! Give me a bowl of salsa and a big bag of chips, and I'm set!

    And the cilantro....yum!

    I've decided I need to start an indoor herb garden. I love fresh cilantro so much, but the bunches they sell them in at the store are just too big. Half of it goes bad before I use it! I can freeze some, I know, but that doesn't give that fresh cilantro zing to the salsa or the pico de gallo.

    Googling indoor herb gardens now.... Oh. It looks like I need a window sill. They're non-existent in this house. Hmmm. More thinking needed....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, I cannot grow cilantro for the life of me. It definitely doesn't like the heat, which I totally don't get since it's used in so many dishes from warm climates. Did you grow it when you lived in Texas? Success? Secrets?

      Delete
    2. I've only grown it in Kansas - it did well in the garden, but went to seed so quickly.

      The rabbits loved it, too!

      You might try planting it now so you can harvest before it gets too hot.

      Delete
    3. Good plan. I'll just have to buy the bundles when July comes around. I wonder how it would do in the house when the temps got hot?

      Delete
  4. OH, YEAH!!

    I'll skip the stinky feet cilantro, but this really looks great today!

    ReplyDelete