Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Quick and Easy Tex-Mex

Mindy here, and Monday's are just crazy around my house. The boys don't have much time between getting home from school and heading off to Boy Scouts, so I either have to plan ahead (which rarely happens on a Monday) or fix something quick. This week, I kind of did both.

This is a dish I normally fix as a skillet meal. This time I decided to put it together in the morning and toss it in the Crock Pot.

First, I brown two pounds of ground beef with one chopped onion.


Drain fat and pour into Crock Pot.


Add one fifteen ounce can of beef broth, one can of Ro-Tel (diced tomatoes with green chilies), I use the mild variety, and one can of whatever corn you like. I found a Chipotle White Corn I thought would be interesting. You can use the Mexican-style corn or just regular corn. Or, skip it all together. You'll also add 1 Tbsp. chili powder and 1/2 tsp. garlic powder.

Stir it all up then mix in one cup of uncooked brown rice.

Cover and cook on high for 4-6 hours. Sprinkle with 1-2 cups shredded cheese during last hour of baking.


Okay, if I hadn't been in such a hurry, and would have planned a little more, I would have added a couple of avocado slices for color. Hubby likes to top his with salsa. You could even add a dollop of sour cream.

Like I said, this can also be made in the skillet. After browning meat, mix in remaining ingredients, bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer until rice has absorbed liquid (45-60 minutes). I kind of like it in the Crock Pot, though, so all of the flavors have time to meld and I get that corn flavor throughout.

Also, this is one of those dishes you can make your own. Start with the basics and go from there.

Happy eating, y'all.

13 comments:

  1. Well, this just sounds delicious...

    And TEXAN!!!! Mindy, I love how Texans think. Lots of onion... Plenty of meat!!!!! And zest it up with some chilies! Oh my stars, I'm such a tame person by comparison, but I'm stepping out of my comfort zone.

    I'm making something really deliciously spicy this weekend and feeding it to the hordes of people who stop in.

    Our house has a revolving door policy, but sometimes when the door revolves, they manage to FORGET A KID... like the 2 year old sleeping in the cute bedroom next to mine right now...

    :)

    This looks like a crowd-pleaser... And the cheese... Oh, the Ruth-meister loves her some cheese!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! The revolving door is because you love 'em and feed them so well.

      And would you believe my sixteen year old told me there wasn't enough meat? Such a male.

      The green chilies are fairly mild, however, you could use bell pepper and just let the chili powder add a kick. Then trick it out with some avocado, sour cream, or whatever tickles your fancy.

      Delete
  2. This looks so tasty, Mindy! And I never would have thought to brown the beef first. Great idea so you don't have to cook for so long! the problem for me with the crockpot is to put it on early enough in the morning. Sometimes I forget.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Missy, I didn't get this going until shortly after noon and it was ready by five. But then I cooked it on high. If I'd have gotten it going earlier, I would have used low. And then if I would have forgotten all together, I would have just done it in the skillet:-) Nothing like having options.

      Delete
  3. This sounds like something my boys would love - especially if I added "taco" to the name.

    And Mindy, I'm with you on the Monday night to Boy Scouts thing - even though my boys aren't in scouts anymore, we spent many, many years heading out the door fast to get to scouts on time. Casseroles were my mainstay!

    BTW - my boys aren't in scouts because they aged out. Out of the three boys, two of them are Eagles, and we're just stinkin' proud of all three of them! They would have liked to continue on as adult leaders, but school and work interfere right now. They'll be great scout dads someday, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, our oldest just got his Eagle rank a couple of weeks ago. Brother is determined to have him beat, hoping to get his at an earlier age. Will have to keep you posted on that one.

      Congrats to all of your boys. You have every right to be proud.

      Delete
  4. I love all-in-one dinners (not to be confused with 'casseroles', which some of the men in our family think are wimpy female concoctions, so we have to change the name). This sounds hearty enough to please even our spicy-chili-loving gang. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it, Carol. It's all about the right word choice.

      Delete
  5. LOL Carol! I love how you know how to manipulate them. :)

    Jan, you have every reason to be proud!

    ReplyDelete
  6. gonna have to try this! this hispanic guy at work asked me one time why we called everything 'mexican casserole' around here and I said in East Texas 'mexican' translates to rotel tomatoes and cheese. pretty much any local church cookbook will have a ton of 'mexican' dishes and better stock up on the rotel tomatoes!
    now I"m hungry...
    susanna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's funny, Susanna. Next time, ask him what Mexican casserole means to him.

      Standing by with cheese and Ro-tel:-)

      Delete
    2. he says he'd never heard of Mexican casserole until he moved to Texas LOL! claims he doesn't eat Rotel - his wife makes the most perfectly awesomest salsa EVER though - gosh that stuff is super delish...

      Susanna

      Delete