Monday, April 16, 2012

Drop Back and Punt!

Missy, here. And I recently jumped in to try a new recipe. Here's the original:

Twice-baked New Potatoes from Ree Drummond, The Pioneer Woman.

Well, I had a disaster. The potatoes didn't get done in the time the recipe called for. It was almost 8 pm, and my tennis player kids were starving. They kept coming in the kitchen asking the age old question: Is it ready yet? (Like are we there yet?)

Most of the dinner was almost ready, and the potatoes were still hard!

No way could I scoop out of these hard new potatoes!


Since I already had the other ingredients in the mixing bowl ready to go, I decided to mash them. I sliced them up and stuck them back in the oven to roast for a ten more minutes. I also took advantage and tossed some asparagus on the tray to roast as well.



The kids loved them! I'll probably make them again.

Here's what I did...


Slice 12 new potatoes, coat them in olive oil, and roast in the oven.

While they're cooking, put these ingredients in a stand mixer:
4 oz. cream cheese (1/2 a block)
1/2 cup sour cream
1 clove garlic, pressed (see photos if you've never pressed garlic before)

put the clove in the gadget

mash and scrape into the bowl


Add the potatoes to the mixer. Top with desired amount of butter (I used about 1-2 tablespoons).
Turn on mixer and add milk as needed to get the texture you like. Add salt and pepper to taste.

I didn't add the cheese this time but may try it. Personally, I love old fashioned mashed potatoes with butter, milk, salt and pepper the best. But my family loved the garlic and sour cream. So I guess dropping back and punting was successful...this time.

So, please tell me I'm not the only one to have a failed recipe lately! Please share yours...

4 comments:

  1. So the cream cheese and sour cream are in place of the milk and butter you usually use in mashed potatoes? Talk about adding more calories to an already good thing! LOL. Love the garlic though.

    I make fancysmancy potatoes for special occasions by mashing 'em up with butter and milk until they are fluffy, adding in garlic and then ice cream scoop them into greased muffin pans. Drizzle with a bit of grated cheese and toast them in the oven until the tops get brown. Yum.

    My latest flop was actually a YankeeBelle recipe. (I want my money back! bwahhahhahha) It was Tina's chocolate drop cookies - the kind you make on the stovetop. Mine just wouldn't solidify. They ran and oozed all over the waxed paper. It looked like my countertop was covered in cow patties. Ugh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ROFL, Kav!!!!! I'm waking the neighbors laughing!!! Cow patties!!! Yes, we'll give you a 200% refund!

    ;)

    Yes, the cream cheese and sour cream replace some of the milk and butter. But I had to have butter flavor in there. And the new potatoes seemed to be thicker than regular, so I had to add some milk to get them to mash. But the flavors did well together! Very rich.

    I love the idea of your muffin tins and cheese! Will definitely try that! I could have actually done that with my failed potatoes and they would have been more like the twice baked ones. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like Kav's potato muffin idea, too!

    My latest flop was actually a recipe very similar to yours, Missy. My problem was that I tried to cut the recipe in half, but not everything got halved correctly. So too many potatoes, too much sour cream, and not enough garlic.

    It was a good recipe - but you really do need to follow directions!

    I've done the cow pattie cookies, too! The children still snarfed them down, though. They don't "eat with their eyes".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jan, I'm glad I'm not the only one! :)

    And goodness, I could certainly lick cookies off the baking sheet if needed. Just lap them right up. ;)

    ReplyDelete