Friday, May 25, 2018

Thrown-together Sloppy Joes

Missy Tippens

I had a pound of ground beef thawed out for dinner the other night and couldn't decide what to make with it. Then I saw a pack of hamburger buns and decided to make...

Sloppy Joes!

I looked at a couple of recipes, but of course didn't have all the ingredients. So I just shut the website and jumped in with what I had.


I browned the beef with some dried onions (I would have preferred freshly chopped Vidalia onions!), then stirred in some tomato paste. Then I seasoned the beef and tomato paste mixture with a spoonful of brown sugar, several glugs of Worcestershire sauce, and a hefty sprinkle of two types of paprika. (Don't you love those measurements?!)






Next was a large can of crushed tomatoes.



I let the mix simmer for a bit. Then it was ready to serve!


They're delicious on buns! We usually serve them open-faced so we can eat them with a fork. :)


www.missytippens.com

3 comments:

  1. Way to go, Missy! I bet these were good. However, if you eat them with a fork, you totally eliminate the "sloppy" part of sloppy joes. So I guess you just had joes. :P

    I still remember, mostly, how my mother used to make sloppy joes. At least I remember the most oddball ingredient. Chicken gumbo soup. Yes, this was back in the days when canned soup seemed to be a part of everything, but still... Why chicken? Then she'd add a bunch of ketchup and a bit of mustard. I also remember liking them. Until they came out with Manwich. Mom's sloppy joes paled in comparison.

    I still keep cans of Manwich (actually the store equivalent, which I prefer) in my pantry for those times when I need a need a quick meal. But if I need enough for a crowd, I use Jan's Sloppy Joes for a Crowd recipe.

    Happy Memorial Day weekend, everyone! Time to get outside and enjoy the heat. Unless you live in Texas, where it might be more like stay inside and escape the heat. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I don't make sloppy joes.....I make bbqs! In my mind they are rhe same thing, but I have been told they aren't because mine taste more like bbq. I have to say I don't know if I have ever had manwich! Doesn't sound appealing to me at all. I however might try some crushed tomato in my bbqs next time with tomato paste to thicken it up. Last year I bought and canned my own tomatoes and even made ketchup, pasta sauce, and pizza sauce! I used my ketchup to the last bbqs I made and it was AMAZING. I did use the prepackaged spices when I canned because it was easier.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was thinking of grilling burgers tonight, but I just heard thunder rumbling in the distance. Sloppy Joes are a great alternative!

    And I need to find some of that smoked paprika. It sounds delicious. :-)

    ReplyDelete