Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Falling for Fall with Easy Chicken and Rice Casserole

Yes, it’s finally beginning to feel more like autumn here in southeast Texas. We can open the windows at the big house and allow all those paint fumes to escape.
Those cooler temps also mean bonfires and a longing to be outside after retreating from the heat all summer.
The nice weather makes the wildlife more active, too.

However, you'd better plug your ears if a water moccasin is seen scooting across the lake.


Of course, there are some things that never change, no matter what the season.

This glorious weather has me wanting to do anything but stay inside and fix dinner. Making it the perfect time for one of my all-time favorite casseroles.
My girls’ grandmother shared this recipe with me when I was a young bride and everyone who tries it wants to know the recipe. I guarantee you’ve rarely had rice that tastes this good. Best of all, assembly is quick and easy, allowing you to go outside and play while the oven takes care of the rest.

Here’s what you’ll need:

A whole chicken, cut up, or whatever part of the chicken happens to be your favorite. On this day, I had a package of 4 large chicken thighs, so that’s what I used.

1 ½ cups long-grain white rice, uncooked

1 packet dry onion soup mix

1 teaspoon Italian seasoning

1 1/2 teaspoons Beau Monde, a Spice Islands brand seasoning blend. Unfortunately, there are no substitutions for this and I’m convinced it’s what makes this recipe.

4 cups water

4-8 tablespoons melted butter

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Put the dry rice in a 9 x 13 baking dish and sprinkle with the soup mix and seasonings.
Add water and give it a quick stir.

Melt butter in a saucepan and dip chicken in butter to coat. 
 Nestle chicken into rice mixture.
I drizzled the remaining butter over the chicken.

Once you have all of your chicken in the pan, place the pan into a preheated oven and bake for 45 minutes to one hour, until chicken is cooked and liquid has been absorbed.
I will warn you that the aromas filling your house as this bakes will make your tummy growl and your taste buds eager for that first bite.

This dish is perfect for potluck dinners (though one taste will have folks fighting for more) or if you’re taking a meal to someone in need. Just add a veggie and you’ve got a complete meal with very little effort on your part.

Now it’s your turn. Are you enjoying fall where you are? Has old man winter tried to make an early appearance? Or is summer holding on forever?




Mindy Obenhaus lives on a ranch in Texas with her husband, the youngest of her five children and two dogs. She's passionate about touching readers with Biblical truths in an entertaining, and sometimes adventurous, manner. When she’s not writing, she enjoys cooking and spending time with her grandchildren. Learn more at www.MindyObenhaus.com  

11 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you're finally getting some fall weather down there! We're having beautiful weather this week, but no rain. It's been a dry year and the ranchers are hurting. So everyone is waiting for rain or snow - any kind of moisture that can soak into the ground.

    But we'll enjoy the sunshine and warmer days while we have them!

    And this casserole looks fabulous, and perfect for those dinners for new parents or carry-ins. I'm saving this one to Pinterest. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, the weather is so cyclical. I know I've seen us go from drought to floods many times here at the ranch. And let me tell you, I'll take rain, yes, even floods, over drought any day. But as they say, what goes around comes around.

      I can't tell you how pleased I am to have some fall weather, though. Most of Texas had no winter at all the past two years, dropping below freezing only a handful of times. We're due for a hard winter.

      You will love the flavor of this dish, Jan. That rice really is amazing.

      Delete
    2. Oh, and isn't Pinterest a wonderful thing? I've gotten so many ideas for our house renovations there, as well as decorating ideas and recipes. I love, love, LOVE it!

      Delete
    3. I love Beau Monde. That hint of celery salt and other good stuff is clutch. I use it in my rye boat dip, but never thought of using it with chicken and rice... adding it next time!

      I have to use boneless meat in this recipe.. I don't like fishing bones out of food, so I'll try it with boneless breast or thighs. The breasts will be dryer, so I'll keep that in mind.

      Can't wait to try this!

      Delete
    4. Ruthy, I've made this with boneless chicken many times and it's just as good. The breasts do get a little dry if they're in there the whole time, so sometimes I'll let the rice mixture cook 15 or 20 minutes before I add the chicken. I would love this with a whole panful of boneless thighs, though. Talk about heaven.

      Delete
  2. Mindy, this looks amazing! And thanks to your suggestion a few years ago, I already started buying Beau Monde! :)

    Today is our first really cool day. My husband actually turned on the heat this morning! It was in the 40's I think. It's only 61 degrees right now. But I have a feeling we'll see some more hot weather before the season is over. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Missy, Beau Monde isn't a seasoning I use regularly, but I love it when I do use it.

      We were in the upper 40s this morning, but warming up to 80 this afternoon, so no heater yet. I'm just happy to look at the 7-day forecast and not see any 90s. Looks like there's another from coming in this weekend and with each front our daily highs seem to drop from the time before. Like a downward sawtooth pattern. At least it's headed in the right direction.

      Delete
  3. Is a water moccasin a snake? Wait...never mind...I don't want to know. I'm just going to stick close to the bonfire with the dogs for protection. They'd protect me from things that go bump in the night, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Look like LeAnne already gave it away, Kav. See, you were correct. And yes, the doggies would protect you. One would be in your lap, the other laying on your feet. ;)

      Delete
  4. Oh my goodness! I forgot about water moccasins. Thank goodness I don't have to deal with those here in Arizona! Lots of rattlers, but not many water moccasins.This recipe looks amazing. Can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LeAnne, water moccasins and copperheads are what we usually deal with. Though there was a canebreak rattler at the big house several years back. He was hunkered down by the bird and squirrel feeders, just waiting for some unsuspecting critter to cross his path. Luckily my husband found him first.

      As for the recipe, I hope you enjoy it as much as we do.

      Delete