Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Chicken Alfredo

Mindy here and I'm wondering, have you ever assumed a favorite dish you only ordered when you went out to eat was really involved and difficult to make so you never considered making it?

That's exactly how I was about Alfredo sauce. It was so creamy, so decadent that it had to involve a long lengthy process. Then my son was studying for exams and asked for Chicken Alfredo.

Um, okay. Yeah, I'll look into that.

Well, I wasn't about to order out, so I turned to the internet.

What's this? There are only three ingredients in Alfredo sauce? Ingredients I actually have in the fridge?

This was so meant to be.

So I grabbed a couple of boneless chicken breasts from the freezer, thawed them in the microwave and tossed them on the grill. You could also bake them in the oven or simply cut them into cubes and cook them in a skillet on the stovetop. You could even use leftover chicken.

Now for the sauce and those three simple ingredients.
Oops. My bad.

1/2 cup butter
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1 -  1 1/2 cups grated parmesan cheese

Melt the butter in a skillet or saucepan over medium-low heat.
As if you've never seen butter melt before.

Add the cream.
Stir to combine, then add the grated parmesan.
Stir/whisk until cheese in completely melted and the sauce is smooth and creamy.

Add salt and pepper to taste.
Spoon sauce over your favorite pasta (the boy prefers penne), add the chicken and enjoy.
And enjoy we did.
I couldn't believe it was so easy. And that I'd never made it before. Now it's one of our go-to quick dishes. Okay, just not on a daily basis. I mean, with all that fat, it's definitely a treat.

The other day Mary Jane was lamenting the heat where she lives. And while we're not quite that hot here, it is summertime in Texas and everyone is trying to beat the heat.
Make that every thing.
The cows are doing their best to stay cool.

Even the bull decided to take a dip.

Now it's your turn.
Have you ever hesitated to make something because you thought it was too difficult, only to discover it was way easier than you expected?




Mindy Obenhaus lives on a ranch in Texas with her husband and the last of her five children. She's passionate about touching readers with Biblical truths in an entertaining, and sometimes adventurous, manner. When she’s not writing, she enjoys cooking and spending time with her grandchildren. Learn more at www.MindyObenhaus.com 

17 comments:

  1. I love Alfredo, and this is a variation on how we've done it... but it's an EASY variation and you know I love easy!

    I think that Parmesan cheese is the key no matter what recipe you pick, and I'm going to try this one, Mindy. I just bought a quart of heavy cream and there's chicken in the freezer. I learned from my buddy Sandy in Minnesota to use cream cheese to make Alfredo sauce... and that works, too. Same kind of idea and you thin it with milk. Either way, Alfredo is a big favorite and I'm so glad you shared this. And the cows!!!

    And I NEVER KNEW that Oregon got so hot until the last year or so.

    I still don't understand it, if you look at a map, they should not get that hot.

    And yet, they do!!!!

    What the heck???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, Ruthy, no place should get that hot. Except maybe Death Valley. And who wants to live there anyway.

      So there's a cream cheese version of Alfredo sauce? Interesting. But yes, Parmesan is definitely the key.

      Delete
    2. Haha! The key to understanding Oregon weather is knowing that there's this big mountain range that goes right down the middle of the state. The Western side gets all the rain and trees and ferns and moss and green. The Eastern side is all dust, tumbleweeds, cowboys, wheat fields, and 115F in the summer. That's why we head west in the summer. Otherwise we're all miserable.

      Delete
  2. Mindy, I was the same way with alfredo. It's one of my quick, go-to's also. And the kids love it. Sometimes I'll add chicken, and other times I'll add bacon and maybe some peas (frozen). I've also added asparagus. We love the dish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo, bacon would be a great addition, Missy. Hubby would not be pleased if I added peas, though. However, there are plenty of other things one could sneak in there. Thanks.

      Delete
  3. Mindy, a college friend of mine made us Carbonara sauce many moons ago. It's very similar but also has eggs (and sometimes olive oil instead of butter), but it also has pancetta chopped up in it. I guess that would be similar to adding the bacon. And I remember Patti adding peas. Funny how things stick with you since that was at least 35 years ago.

    You'll read tomorrow about the thing I thought was too hard to make. The joke was on me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I can't wait until tomorrow, Mary Cate. Nothing like leaving me hanging.

      Pancetta would be yummy in alfredo sauce. Then again, like you said, it's similar to bacon so what's not to like? Eggs in a sauce, huh? Interesting. Right now my brain is struggling to remember what carbonara sauce is. Is that a meaty one?

      Delete
    2. The meaty one is red, no? Bolognese?

      Here's a link to the Carbonara recipe I saw. Looks very much like Alfredo. http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/carbonara-sauce/1646c4be-dc43-42c7-917d-86e58c8dd68a

      Delete
  4. So I admit to spending a fortune buying Alfredo sauce at the Pasta shop down the way. Who knew it was 3 ingredients? The pasta place I go too (for special occasions, mind you) make all their pasta on site and you can watch them as you order from the counter. And oh, goodness, the fillings they come up with to stuff...don't know the name of the noodles...but you get what I mean, right? Divine. And tons of vegetarian options. They make all their own pasta sauces (including Alfredo) as well. Rats, now I want some of their pasta. LOL So, honestly, since it's just me, I'll probably still buy the sauce there instead of making a whack of it at home. And goodness but fresh pasta tastes so much better than the processed stuff you buy in the grocery store. Okay -- pasta rant over.

    I don't know if it's because I'm vegetarian -- but all the restaurant foods I think are complicated to make are! Mostly it's a long list of specialty ingredients -- seasoning and the like-- that I wouldn't normally have on hand. Or use enough of to justify buying. So I don't often try to recreate something at home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kav, this particular alfredo sauce does not keep/reheat well, so yes, keep buying your sauce. Unless you have company and want to wow them.

      Fresh pasta IS better, as are so many other things that are fresh. If only we all had Italian grandmothers, right?

      You are smart to try to replicate those dishes you love. Sometimes it's all we can do. But those special ingredients can be a killer.

      Delete
  5. I love alfredo sauce, and I definitely try to make it too hard. But three ingredients? No problem!

    The one restaurant favorite I've never tried at home is crab rangoon. I know, there are only a few ingredients in those, too, but it's the deep frying that's holding me back. Maybe I can find a baked version!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, thank you very much Ms. Drexler. Now I'm craving crab rangoon. It can't be too difficult. Cream cheese, won ton wrappers... I wonder how those would do in the air fryer?

      Delete
    2. This is so funny, Jan. I haven't thought of crab rangoon in ages, but I was looking at a menu for a Thai restaurant in Maine, and that was the one thing that jumped out at me.

      Delete
  6. O Mindy! I Love the HEB!!! We don't have any in East Texas, but I always shopped there when I went to Baylor & lived in Waco!! Happy Memories! And our cows swim, too (well, they waddle & wade)!
    Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jana, we didn't have one when we lived in the DFW area either, so I'm thrilled to have one. They have the best produce and meats.

      LOL! Waddle and wade is a good way to describe cows in the water. I think they just like to cool their bellies. And who can blame them?

      Delete
  7. That's the way I feel about biscotti! I really put off trying to make it because I knew it had to be baked, cut, and baked again. But really, it wasn't hard at all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I'd have just looked up recipe sooner, MJ, I would have seen just how insanely easy this is!

      Delete