Tuesday, May 9, 2017

Our Crazy, Busy, Good Eatin' Weekend

Whew! What a weekend.

As most of you know by now, my family is preparing for a big move. But there were a few events we had to get out of the way first. So, in typical Obenhaus style, we simply crammed them all into one weekend.

First there was this.
Our youngest son had his Eagle Scout Court of Honor. But it wasn't just about him.
These four young men started out as Tiger Cubs in the first grade. Together, they later transitioned into Boy Scouts as part of the Ninja patrol. And Saturday, they were all recognized for achieving scouting's highest rank of Eagle Scout.
It was so much fun to not only see these guys together one last time, but to watch the video one of the parents made, reviewing the kids' journey from little boys to men.
I laughed, I cried... Such a fun time of remembrance.

Then it was on to the same son's graduation open house. Of course, you can't have an open house without food. So I prepared my go-to meal for feeding a crowd--
Time to smoke a big ol' brisket for Texas barbeque.  
You can find that recipe here.

Throw in some beans (recipe here), Cole Slaw (recipe here), chips, salsa and queso and it's a party.

Oh, and the all-important graduation cake.
But before the party even got started, the most amazing thing happened.
I'd like you introduce you to my new grandson, Max (short for Maximilian), born Sunday afternoon.

You know, there's just something about babies that makes you forget about the worries of the world. So much love, pure trust and innocence all in one tiny, little package.
Thank you, Max, for making your grammy's life just a little bit better.

And now, the countdown is really on. Only ten more days until that big move. So let the packing frenzy begin in earnest.




Mindy Obenhaus lives in Texas with her husband and the last of her five children. She's passionate about touching readers with Biblical truths in an entertaining, and sometimes adventurous, manner. When she’s not writing, she enjoys cooking and spending time with her grandchildren. Learn more at www.MindyObenhaus.com 


8 comments:

  1. Oh, Mindy!!! This is so wonderful, the pages of life, opened and enjoyed! THAT BABY!!! BABY MAX!!!!!!! I love him already!

    So much going on, and the cake is gorgeous... and brisket... I must make brisket. I love meat. (KAV, I'M SO SORRY!!!!) But I love brisket and ribs.

    Congratulations to your handsome and wonderful son, what an achievement... and wishing you smoothness on the move!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love brisket too, Ruthy. And like you, I was thinking, "Kav's not going to like this," as I typed. But she loves us despite our carnivorous tendencies and we are so glad.

      We went to see Max again yesterday. He's so sweet. Just can't get enough of him. I'm seriously thinking about taking him with us to the ranch. Do you think his mama and daddy would notice?

      Delete
  2. Mindy, you amaze me in how much you can get done! I can't believe you cooked and had a party right before moving!!

    Congrats to Michael!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Thanks, Missy. My goal is to someday reach Ruthy's level of productivity. ;)

      Delete
  3. Congratulations to your Eagle Scout son! Having two Eagles in our family, I know what an achievement that is!

    And then the new grandson. I can't even imagine how sweet he must be.

    And then the graduation....and the upcoming move....

    You DO like to cram big events together, don't you?

    But the big question - how is your shoulder doing after such a weekend? Recovering nicely, I hope!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shoulder is coming along pretty much as it should, Jan. With three other families helping with the COH, I pretty much just had to show up. And I purposely kept the menu simple for the party. Good thing, too, since it left me free to breakaway to meet Max. Can you imagine if I'd had to wait until after the party? I would have been fit to be tied.

      Delete
  4. You sure do know how to do a weekend, Mindy!

    Wishing you well with the move. Congratulations on the wonderful new grandson!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary Cate, I'm just thankful every weekend isn't that way. But it was eventful. Had to go see Max again tonight. He and his mama are home now, so we took them dinner. Oh, what stress relief it is just to hold him.

      Delete