Friday, February 8, 2013

Roasted Veggie Quinoa

Is it Friday?!! The Belle, here. And I almost forgot to post! I'm sorry I'm late.

Here's another fantastic recipe I've found from eMeals (altered to fit my taste and pantry). :)

Quinoa, Butternut and Kale Salad

2 c quinoa, cooked (called for red, but I used a packet of flavored regular quinoa)
6 shallots, quartered
1/2 butternut squash, peeled and cubed (see my note below about roasting halves)
5 T olive oil, divided
2 t kosher salt
1 t pepper
4 oz goat cheese
2 c kale, cleaned and torn into bite size pieces
1 t cumin
2 T balsamic vinegar
Salt



Heat oven to 375° F.

Place shallots (quartered) and butternut squash on baking sheet. Drizzle with 2 T olive oil, salt and pepper. Bake for 45 minutes.

You can see that I went ahead and roasted the other half of the butternut to use later. But I tell you what, cubing a butternut is HARD WORK! When I started, I got one knife stuck in the silly thing. Had to try to dig it out with another. So I'd suggest roasting it cut in half or quarters. Then slice off the peel and cube it.


While vegetables are roasting, cook quinoa according to package directions. I used two packets of the roasted garlic flavor white quinoa.

Crumble the cheese into the kale and then add the roasted veggies. The hot-from-the-oven veggies will melt the cheese.


Toss cooked quinoa with roasted vegetables, goat cheese and kale mix.


I forgot to take any more photos because I was busy tasting and serving! :)

The recipe called for an additional dressing. I tasted a bite with dressing and didn't like it as well, so I served it on the side...

Whisk together 3 T olive oil, cumin, balsamic vinegar and salt. Dress quinoa salad lightly with dressing--or serve on the side as I did.

Hope you like it! The whole family loved it (well, except for my son who picked all orange and green out of his). :)

4 comments:

  1. He picked all the orange and green out? Doesn't that mean he was left with shallots and cheese?

    Hmm...roasted shallots and goat cheese...sounds good!

    One question about the cheese - did you use any certain kind? I usually use Feta, but I'm open to suggestions.

    And this does sound scrumptious.

    PS - I've seen cubed butternut squash at the grocery store - already done. Convenience is pricy, though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, Jan! Yes, quinoa, cheese and shallots (which he ate with trepidation). :)

    I used herb coated goat cheese. It's the kind I already buy to eat on crackers. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I might add, though, that hubby and son aren't really crazy about the goat cheese, so Feta might work well, too. Or if they aren't daring enough for that either, maybe try ricotta. Something soft that'll melt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Yummmmm....I'm going to try this for sure. Had to laugh at your son picking out all the healthy coloured ingredients. Such a boy!!!!!

    ReplyDelete