Saturday, June 10, 2017

Savory Sage Roast Chicken with Orange


Hello, everybody! Mary Jane here with a baked chicken recipe that's a change from the usual. We eat a lot of chicken and I was a little burned out on roasted chicken, so I was looking for something new. We have a wonderful fresh herb garden (I've posted about our purple basil, rosemary, lavender, etc. before) and I decided to try something with sage!
I LOVE garlic. If you don't, just disregard that big ol' pile on the left. On the right, I shredded about 1/4 cup of fresh sage for 4 lbs of chicken.

 I think chicken always tastes better when it's been seared before it goes in the oven. So, I browned the chicken, about 4 pieces at a time in butter, adding salt and pepper. Preheat the oven to 425F.
 After the chicken had been browned, I removed it and added 3 cups of chicken broth, a few slices of onion, and the sage.
 Put the chicken back into the pot and add 2 TBS of lemon juice and one freshly squeezed orange. I added a little orange pulp because I love orange and chicken together.
 Bake for about 15 minutes or until chicken is done all the way through. I had to run a quick errand and when I returned, I could smell the dish from the driveway. The kitchen window was open and the smell was AMAZING. And of course our cats were gathered on the porch, licking their lips.
 We made some quick rice (with the broth), steamed some broccoli, and added the chicken. La voila!
The picture can't really do this dish justice. It was so deliciously savory and flavorful! I'm so glad we tried something new and I hope you'll give it a try, too!

Be sure to stop by my author page at Mary Jane Hathaway or Virginia Carmichael for all my book news!!

4 comments:

  1. I can smell the aroma from here! This looks so good!

    I'll have to try this, and it will be a good excuse to try to get an herb garden going again. They work well in containers, if I remember right. And with our horrible "builder's blend" soil, it's how I'm going to have to do it. I've had so many plants die over the last six years. :(

    Thanks for the recipe, MJ!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We live near a river and our soil is VERY rocky. Great for growing fruit trees and grapes, but not great for those more tender plants. We've worked hard to get our garden to a rich, rock-free soil, but most of my friends just use raised beds.

      Delete
  2. Yum! This sounds amazing! Thanks for sharing, Virginia. I, too, love orange and chicken.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd never thought of it (I always thought it was a duck thing) until I saw something squeezing oranges over drumsticks they were grilling. YUMMY!

      Delete