Friday, June 16, 2017

Cranberry Apricot Scones with Orange Glaze

Ugh! I've been felled by a terrible stomach bug and so although there has been cooking in my house, I wasn't eating any of it, or taking pictures! So, I've dragged myself from my bed to repost this scone recipe. Strangely, even though I'm two months into "no sugar" these don't look tempting at all.
 It's a miracle! Or the flu, either one. So, thanks for bearing with me and I hope to be back to my perky self by next Friday! 
Without further ado, cranberry orange scones from November 2015. 


Hello, everybody! The Fresh Pioneer is back and I have a delicious dessert to share. Right around this time of year, I CRAVE cranberries. I want them in everything. Other people go seeking out pumpkin spice, I look for cranberries. I've already made some cranberry oatmeal cookies, but I wanted to try something new. 
 But before I get to the recipe, I have to share a photo or from a beautiful day we had here. It was probably the last sunny we day before it turned GLOOMY. And when I say gloomy, I mean it. Dark at 7AM, lightens up to dreary at noon, and dark by 4:30. We were just at the park and it was pitch black at 4:45. That's just unnatural, I'm telling you.
But this day, this one day last week, was marvelous! So much light and color! I got some beautiful pictures of all the kids. One at a time, and all together. 

I hope one of them will become a Christmas card... if I can get through my " to do" list in time!
Preheat the oven to 375F
The ingredients for the scones:
2 cups flour
1 tbs baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbs orange zest
5 tbs chilled butter
1.5 cups cranberries
1/2 cup dried apricots
1 cup whipping cream
The orange drizzle:
3 tbs butter
1.5 cup powdered sugar
3 tbs orange juice
So, as I said... cranberries. Delicious and packed full of antioxidants, and are high in fiber,vitamin C and K. Mine were frozen and a lot easier to chop.
 MMM. Dried apricots. I sent my teens to the store to get dried apricots but didn't specify how much. Instead of calling, they returned with two giant bags. YUMMY. I could hardly be mad, since they were so delicious. We snacked on them for a few days, completely ignoring our apples and pears.
 Mix the cranberries and apricots together.
 Add dry ingredients and cut in the chilled butter.
 Add the cream to the fruit.
 Looks terrible. I have faith this will be great! If it's not... I shall cry lots of tears.
 Mix in the dry ingredients with the fruit. I think we over stirred because it turned pink!
 Make 1 inch think disks.
 Hmmm... It smells delicious but I wasn't sure how this was going to taste.
 Cut it like a pizza.
 Lay out several inches apart.
 Crossing my fingers! Into the oven they go. Bake for 15 minutes. I checked them at ten and them seemed done, but I wanted to make sure they didn't fall to pieces, so I gave them another few minutes.
 With the orange drizzle...
 AMAZING! Even the pickiest eaters enjoyed these. My husband, who doesn't like sweets, thought they were really good. I think scones are more like pan dulce or the sweet bread he's used to. Also, the dried fruit gave it such a satisfying texture. Scones are soft and buttery, and the dried fruit was a great counterpoint.
That's all for now! My friend Christalee sent me this bowl because it matches my kitchen. Isn't it adorable?? My kids are calling it my new coffee cup. LOL

Be sure to pop into my facebook page at Mary Jane Hathaway, or at my blog The Things That Last. Until next time! 

5 comments:

  1. Ah, so sorry you've got the flu! No fair to get something yucky like that in the summer!!!! Praying you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I missed a really important wedding, too, so I'm feeling extra sorry for myself. :( :(

      Delete
  2. Looks so yummy!

    I'm so sorry you're sick! I hope it passes quickly and that you don't share with the rest of the family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, too late. LOL. But kids seem to recover much quicker than adults. We just don't seem to have the same bounce-back that they do. *sigh*

      Delete
  3. I need to make these! They look fabulous...and I know I said the same thing the last time you posted this recipe!

    But this time I have some cranberries!

    I hope you feel better soon. Take care of yourself!

    ReplyDelete