Monday, May 22, 2017

Ravioli Stew

This is a recipe I made quite often when our children were young, mostly because it's one of those freezer recipes (make two, freeze one) that saves bunches of time. And it's so versatile that you can use whatever you have on hand!

Ravioli Stew

ingredients: (double the amounts if you intend to freeze half for a future meal)

1 pound ground beef, sweet Italian sausage, or ground pork - choose your favorite or go meatless
1/4 cup bread crumbs
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese (the kind in the green can)
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 cup chopped onion
canned tomatoes - sauce, crushed, diced - however you like them
1 quart broth - beef or vegetable



1/2 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1 Tablespoon parsley flakes

1 package frozen cheese filled ravioli


Brown the meat (if you're using it) in a large pot. Drain and return to the pot.

Add the onions to the meat and cook them until they're transparent.

Add the rest of the ingredients (except ravioli) and bring the stew to a boil. Simmer uncovered for 30 minutes or so. Stir occasionally, and add some water if the stew gets too thick.

At this point, you can put half of the stew in the freezer and save it for a busy day.

In a separate large pot, cook the ravioli according to package directions.

Put one serving of cooked ravioli in a large bowl and ladle the stew over the pasta. Top with additional Parmesan cheese and serve with a salad and some garlic bread. Seasoned croutons are also a great addition! Just sprinkle them on the top.


Like I said, this has been a family favorite for years!


This post is actually and two-in-one when it comes to meal ideas. :)

One thing my husband and I like to do on these long spring and summer evenings is to take a picnic to Custer State Park, find a quiet pull-off, and enjoy the wildlife.


A week or so ago, we stopped by a little grocery store and picked up some deli sandwiches. We found our quiet spot and watched the bison and antelope while we listened to the meadowlarks in the meadows around us.

Have you ever heard a meadowlark's song?



Meanwhile, we watched a storm pass by to the north.


The pictures don't convey even half the beauty.


Before long, the storm had passed, we had finished our supper, and we went on our way.


The evening was wearing on and we wanted to get home before dark. As we drove along, we spotted these two young bison making their way down a hill. They must have been grazing on top during the afternoon, but now were on their way to a watering hole and a quiet place to spend the night.

It's always a sad moment when we turn our truck toward home after a foray into the Hills, but the end of the day must come, right?

We'll be back soon, though. Maybe this week....


Don't forget - Naomi's Hope is coming out next month!!!

You can pre-order Naomi's Hope through my website: www.JanDrexler.com








Jan Drexler loves her family, her home, cooking and just about anything made by hand. But she loves her Lord most of all.

Stop by Jan's website to learn more about her books: www.JanDrexler.com

9 comments:

  1. I've never thought of doing this, Jan! And I love Ravioli, I love, love, love it... And this looks so easy. I wonder if I can convert my leftover pot of sauce to this??? Or I could just buy a bag of frozen ravioli and combine.... either way, you've inspired me again!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course you can use your own sauce! Just add a little extra liquid, and you have stew!

      And that frozen ravioli is convenience in a bag, isn't it?

      Delete
  2. What a neat idea! And I'd toss in some yummy vegetables as well like cheery yellow and green peppers. Wouldn't that be pretty? I have a weakness for ravioli. There's a great place close to me that makes them fresh. Delish!!!!!

    And now I can say I've heard a meadowlark sing. We don't have them up here...at least not in the city anyway. My happy chirrupy sounds come from robins. First to start singing in the morning and last to give it a rest at night.

    You live in a gorgeous part of the world, Jan. I'm always captivated by your photos -- so foreign to this city gal from the east.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! This is one of those versatile recipes that will go with anything! Some diced, roasted zucchini would go great in it, too. Yummm!

      The meadowlarks are beautiful. I always look forward to their return every year. The robins, too! And the red-winged blackbirds. I love their early morning symphony.

      And I grew up in a small city, but I've always been a country girl at heart. The farther I am from a paved road, the happier I am. :)

      Delete
  3. Jan, this looks so good! That sauce would be good on lots of different pastas. Yum!

    Love the photos as well. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just thinking how good this would be with tortellini!

      Delete
  4. Oh, I should know better than to check in before I have dinner. STARVING and this looks so delicious!

    I love Deli sandwiches, Jan, so your afternoon sounds delightful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wanted to do another picnic at the park this afternoon, but spotty thunderstorms made us decide to postpone. I can hardly wait for another trip out there. :)

      Delete
  5. We've had some spectacular storms here, too. Just gorgeous and so good for the alfalfa and wheat... but not the cherries. :O

    I love meadowlarks. :) So pretty and such a delicate song.

    ReplyDelete