Thursday, May 11, 2017

Old Fashioned Coconut Custard Pie

Youse know me.

I love me some old-fashioned stuff, yes I do! And when it comes to pies I like to play and practice, and while I was playing with this, I DID save the life of a tree frog who didn't realize an Arctic cold snap was coming and found himself numb with cold on my porch.... so I tucked him in a bundle of bushes, out of the wind, where he might not catch the cat's eye when he finally warms up.... like in a week? Maybe?

Wicked cold snap here, but I know other parts of the country dealt with this, too, so we're going to muster up!


I let Farmer Dave decide what kind of custard pie he wanted. The chickens are quite generous with their egg-laying capabilities in the spring, so delicious custards and puddings are a fun addition to scrambled eggs and fritattas and omelets.

You'll need a 9" pie pan lined with a single crust.  I brushed the pie crust with the whisked egg white and then layered the coconut into the pie crust.



Filling: (For regular custard pie leave out coconut and coconut milk and use 2 1/2 cups whole milk instead)

3 large eggs and 1 egg yolk
1 egg white (in separate little bowl)
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup coconut milk
2/3 cup milk
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg (I used fresh nutmeg, but grated is fine, too)
1 1/4 cup flaked coconut



Whisk eggs, egg yolk, cream, coconut milk, milk, sugar, vanilla and salt in large bowl.


Sprinkle 1 1/4 cup flaked coconut onto pie crust. Pour well-mixed custard over coconut.


Set pie onto cookie sheet and bake in 400° oven for 40 to 50 minutes until filling is firm. (You can test filling by inserting butter knife into filling halfway between side and middle... If knife comes out clean, filling is set)


Cool. Chill thoroughly.

Delicious old fashioned pie with timeless taste!

I love trying new and old things.... and around the farm, life is always full of crazy.... Here's proof!!!

Baby girl having pizza after a busy day on the farm!!!!


And Baby Girl snitching out of Easter baskets!!!!

And.... hiding the evidence is CLUTCH!!!!

Down.... And then up!

She loves jelly beans, by the way!

And it seems I forgot to hit "Publish" so you're getting this mid-day when I actually got it together a WEEK EARLY....

My bad!

The Yank messed up, but the coconut custard pie.... and the little kid.... are totally worth it!

Find Ruthy in Seekerville at www.seekerville.blogspot.com , at her website ruthloganherne.com or her blog www.ruthysplace.com

And you know you can find her on facebook!!!!

5 comments:

  1. Custard pie is one of my favorites, but I've never had it with coconut! The is a must-try dessert!

    And that baby girl...such cuteness in one package. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jan, thank you for telling me I forgot to hit publish... I'm such a goof!!!

    But I'm a REALLY NICE GOOF!!!!

    Oh my stars, with the coconut in it, it's more like a Danish consistency, you can just PICK UP SLICES in your hand and eat them... the coconut soaks up the slipperyness! :) IT IS SO GOOD!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We've only ever had Entenmann's boxed Coconut Custard Pie. I love that, so I can only imagine how fresh and delicious this is. Thanks, Ruthy and Farmer Dave.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm late! I still haven't made this. I need to try this pie!! Thanks for sharing, Ruthy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ruthy, I LOVE coconut custard pie, yet haven't made it in forever. Probably due to fear that I will eat it all myself. That would be so bad. But what a way to go.

    ReplyDelete