Saturday, May 27, 2017

Lemon basil asparagus chicken

Hello, everybody! Mary Jane here and I have a delicious recipe for springtime meals! There are quite a few variations of this around on the internet so I read through a few of them and cobbled together my own version. I wondered if it might have too many flavors (I always overdo on the herbs) but it was perfect!
 So... fresh asparagus. Washed and cut into pieces. I love asparagus season! We live in a valley where it's a popular crop so we have no problem finding it for several months of early summer.
 One lemon. One red bell pepper. (I should have gotten two red bell peppers because I kept nibbling pieces. Fresh bell peppers is so good!)

 Oh, random roasted red new potatoes. We tossed them with melted butter, parmesan, salt and pepper. Not really necessary for the recipe. It just sounded good.
 First corn of the season!!!

So, toss the chicken (cut into 2 inch pieces), red bell pepper, asparagus, 1/2 cup melted butter, 1 tsp salt with 1/2 tsp pepper, and 2 TBS lemon juice. Roast at 400F for 15-20 minutes. Remove from the pan and salt/pepper to taste. Cut fresh basil into small pieces and add to the dish.

Easy peasy early summer meal!!
 Something about lemon and asparagus and butter.... YUM.
Behold, my ridiculous kitty. He makes me smile so much!!

OK, that's all for this weekend. I hope everyone is finding spring food popping up in your area. I'm SO glad winter is over and the farmer's markets are on their way!
Pop on by my author pages of Mary Jane Hathaway or Virginia Carmichael for all my book news!

4 comments:

  1. We do a lot of chicken and asparagus this time of year, too... and this looks wonderful, Mary Jane! We've got Florida supersweet corn in the markets now, so we know spring has arrived! After a long, gray winter, I am happily welcoming any vestige of spring that comes our way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, YUM!! I'm so jealous of you who have crops of asparagus nearby. We usually have to pay a small fortune for it.

    This looks so good, Virginia! I hadn't ever thought to cut up the chicken and roast it with the veggies. I'll have to do that next time!

    Enjoy spring! We're pretty much in full summer around here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is one adorably cute kitty picture. It makes me smile. I haven't had asparagus a lot. I always seem to miss the season when it's fresh and then it's uber expensive when it's shipped in. But this sounds divine (substituting the chicken for marinated tofu, of course) and I do believe today is our first open air market days so I might just try this recipe this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just bought some asparagus at the farmer's market this morning. My daughter and I were both surprised to see the first strawberries. As Ruthy said, it's been a long, gray winter in the northeast so the abundance of color at the market this morning was a blessing!

    ReplyDelete