Friday, May 26, 2017

Everything-But-the-Kitchen-Sink Pasta

Missy Tippens

First, I thought I'd share this fun gift I received the other night...

When my daughter was in high school, she frequently had her friends over to spend the night. Several times, they came to stay after concerts (they loved going to concerts!). Sometimes, the events were on school nights, and we'd get in very late. They would sleep in as late as possible, so I wanted to make sure the girls had something they could grab to take to school with them for breakfast. I always bought them muffins and Starbucks frappuccinos (the grocery store kind).

The girls all just finished their sophomore year of college. Recently, while having dinner together, they recalled the concert night tradition. Well, when they came to spend the night here at our home the other night, one of them brought me my very own muffin and Starbucks! I was really touched by the gift, and the fact that they remembered. I miss having them here all the time.



Now for my quick, clean-out-the-fridge pasta! The other day for lunch I found a small serving of spaghetti in the refrigerator. But I was getting pretty sick of it because I had already eaten it leftover twice. I decided to doctor it up with some vegetables. You can do this with any veggies you have on hand!

First, I heated a drizzle of olive oil and then sautéed some Power Greens that needed to be eaten. Then I added some chopped orange bell pepper, some leftover green peas, and some leftover corn. The corn and peas were in small plastic containers--you know, those tiny ones that barely hold enough to serve one person?

Then for some extra flavor, I added some chopped kalamata olives.



While everything cooked, I heated the spaghetti and meat sauce (actually, it was made with linguine noodles) in the microwave.

Then I topped the spaghetti with the vegetables and sprinkled on parmesan cheese. It turned out beautiful and healthy! And it stretched several small servings of leftovers, that probably would have ended up thrown away, into a serving that was enough for two people.



www.missytippens.com

10 comments:

  1. What a great way to use up leftovers! And a great way to change up your spaghetti rut.

    And how sweet of those girls to include you in their memories. I wouldn't be surprised if they ended up at your house for another sleepover someday. :)

    Have a wonderful Memorial Day weekend, Missy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, they've spent the night once already. And I feel sure they'll be back through the summer!

      I hope you have a wonderful holiday weekend, too!

      Delete
  2. I am getting more adventurous in the kitchen since stopping by the cafe. Love the idea of shopping your fridge and making something from leftovers. Plus, doesn't it feel all righteously pioneerish when you save food from ending up in the recycle bin? LOL

    Love you being surprised with the Starbucks and muffin! How sweet is that? And so lovely to know that you helped to created life-long memories for those girls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kav, I hate to waste food! So using it like this does make me feel a little pioneerish! LOL

      Delete
  3. Love those girls for remembering and cherishing the memories, Missy.

    Olives. Yum! Shopping the refrigerator sounds frugal and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary Cate, I love olives in pasta! I love the saltiness it adds.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so sweet! How lovely that they remembered!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very sweet, Virginia. I was touched by the gesture.

      Delete
  6. Oh my stars, the girls made me sentimental!!! What a nice thing to do! And look at you, putting all those leftovers together. What a great idea, Missy! I get tired of things by the third night, too... so this is a wonderful way to shake things up. Thank you for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my stars, the girls made me sentimental!!! What a nice thing to do! And look at you, putting all those leftovers together. What a great idea, Missy! I get tired of things by the third night, too... so this is a wonderful way to shake things up. Thank you for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete