Saturday, May 6, 2017

Easy Baked Garam Masala Tilapia

Happy weekend, everybody! Mary Jane here with a fun fish recipe. We first had this at a local Thai restaurant and we've been trying to reproduce it for a long time! I think we've finally got it down. 
But first...
                                                           
I love these spring flowers! I know flowers last a lot longer outside but flowers in the house make me so happy. :)

                               
For a friend's birthday party, we all decorated flower pots and filled them with flowers for her porch. She's such a good sport! Ten mismatched pots!!
                                                     
I love this one my daughter made. My favorite colors, too!
So, on to the recipe. This is one of those dishes you'd never think to put together because the ingredients are so... random. But the result is quite delicious!

 First, garam masala, one of our favorite seasonings! Use it to make a dry rub for the fish. You can also sprinkle it into melted butter and brush it on the fish if you prefer.
 Ignore how giant this jar of peppers is... The original recipe had picked Thai peppers which were VERY hot. I personally don't like the flavor of jalapenos but everyone else does so, there ya go. Dice about ten slices or one whole pickled pepper.
 The cheese needs to be a nutty, slightly bitter cheese like Swiss or Jarlsberg. Since we had Jarlsberg, we used that. Cut into very thin slices, enough to cover the top of the fish.
Bake the fish at 350F for ten minutes or until done. Remove it from the oven. Add the peppers and Jarlsberg and sprinkle on some fresh basil. Place back into the oven for about four minutes or until the cheese has melted and the peppers are heated through.
 Ta-dah! A fish curry that does take a lot of time and no frying in oil. We've tried it before with a little garlic and lemon, and it's even better with the garam masala.

Have a wonderful weekend and be sure to stop by my author pages at Mary Jane Hathaway or Virginia Carmichael to find out all my book news!

7 comments:

  1. Now I must try garam masala because I had no idea what that was.... and yet I'd heard of it so why didn't I investigate sooner? I love fun spice blends!

    This looks delicious.... and easy. I love easy. And I love fish, so thank you for this one! And I remembered to get over here at the beginning of the day/weekend.... and now I'm hungry but it's 4:48 and not exactly food time in the middle of the night or wee smalls of the morn!

    See you on the flip side!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try not to come by at night because everything looks sooooo good!

      Delete
  2. Love those painted pots and mismatched is tres chic! What a great idea for a birthday present! You are such a creative family. Happy weekending!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds so good! I've had dishes made with garam masala, but I've never been able to find the spice blend in the store. I might have to order on-line.

    But baked fish? Always so easy and delicious!

    And I love those pots. What a great party idea. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love garam masala, but I've never thought to use it with fish. Interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing, Mary Virginia! We love garam masala around here as well. We keep it on the kitchen table!

    Love the flower pots!

    ReplyDelete