Thursday, May 4, 2017

Chicken Asparagus Cheesy Bake

I found a recipe several years ago on allrecipes.com for a stuffed chicken dijonnaise with asparagus.... And it was delicious! That recipe is Here!

As good as that was, it was involved.... and when I'm working my day job, and writing sweet books, and we're entering farm season (which coincides with asparagus season) then I really want uninvolved.... So I tried a layered casserole this time, and here it is...

And remember in Fried Green Tomatoes when the investigator was literally eating the evidence of the missing person's case he was working? And how Idgy yelled "The secret's in the sauce!"

Well, that's the same thing here..... This sauce makes all the difference!


Sauce:

1/2 cup Hellman's Mayonnaise
1/4 cup Nancy's Hot mustard
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon Montreal Chicken Seasoning.

Mix together and set aside.




For the Casserole:

3 or 4 large chicken breast halves, pounded medium thin
4-6 asparagus spears per chicken breast piece, slightly cooked until bright green (I used the microwave to get them slightly cooked)
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar, provolone, or mozzarella 
4 slices thick, cooked bacon (not over-cooked) 
1 half sleeve of crushed Club or Ritz crackers or about a cup of fine bread crumbs

Line 7" x 11" pan with foil. (Use 9" x 11" if using 4 large breast pieces)

Pound out chicken breasts to an even level. You can butterfly them if that's easier. Spread sauce on each breast, using half the sauce between the breasts. 

Cover with shredded cheese. Layer lightly cooked asparagus onto chicken. 

Top with slices of bacon either whole/halved or crumbled. Spread the rest of sauce over the bacon strips.


Sprinkle bread crumbs or cracker crumbs evenly over whole thing.

Bake at 350° until chicken is cooked through.




Serve with side of rice or potato or salad.

Serves 3-4.

This came out amazing..... and the rice on the side was a perfect blend with the spicy chicken!!!

9 comments:

  1. This looks fabulous! So fancy, but like you said, very little time involved. Perfect for busy days. :)

    But for my asparagus-hating family, I think I would try substituting broccoli. What do you think?

    BTW, my copy of Peace in the Valley came in the mail the other day. It's on the top of my to-be-read pile!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Broccoli would work great, too.... Who doesn't love chicken and broccoli???? And I hope you love "Peace in the Valley".... I went to visit the book in WALMART this morning!!! :) I am so excited to have this third cowboy book out!

      Delete
  2. This is the first year we've had asparagus in our garden and I've been looking for some new recipes to use. This is PERFECT!! I can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LeAnne, it's so good. I was so pleased that the casserole version came out nice and moist and all the flavors melded ... we loved it!

      Delete
  3. Make it Asparagus Cheesy Bake and I'm all in. :-) But I like Jan's idea of broccoli too. Pretty much any vegetable with cheese is a win in my book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kav, that would work! And you don't even need the sauce with straight veggies, but I bet if we roasted some summer squash or zucchini, we could use THAT in place of the chicken, and then copy the rest. The roasted eggplant and zucchini lasagna last year came out great!

      Delete
  4. Oooh, this sounds so good! I'll say it again this year, I'm so jealous that you grow asparagus and get it fresh all spring!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness, this looks so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hold the phone! Ruthy made something spicy? Yes! She's come to the dark side. Okay, how about the dusk side?

    This sounds amazing, my upstate friend. And I love all of the ingredients. Asparagus is my fave. Hubby? Not so much. I only wish I could get my hands on some of your FRESH asparagus. Someday. Someday...

    ReplyDelete