Friday, April 14, 2017

Vegetable Soup...To Shrimp Stew: Part 2 (The Stew Part)

Missy Tippens

For Part One on making the vegetable soup, click here.

If you have services at church this evening and have the leftover vegetable soup on hand, then this is a quick dish for you!

Part Two: Shrimp Stew

Ingredients:
Leftover homemade vegetable soup
All purpose flour (or some other thickener of your choice)
1-1/2 pounds fresh shrimp, peeled, cleaned, tails removed and chopped


Heat the leftover soup in a soup pot.


Mix up a slurry with a little bit of flour (I think I used a tablespoon or two) and a little of the warm broth. HINT: It's easier to mix a small amount of liquid into dry ingredients (I learned this in chemistry lab ages ago!) until you have a smooth paste. Once you get it smooth, then you can add a little more liquid. That way you won't get lumps.

Then add the slurry into the soup to thicken it up.


Next add in the shrimp. Cook for three to four minutes, until shrimp is opaque and pink.

Enjoy!

OH! And a few days later, we ate the leftovers one more time! To change it up a bit, I added smoked turkey sausage, sliced into bite sized pieces. It was even better! Almost like a low country boil. :)


www.missytippens.com

5 comments:

  1. I love having a base to create multiple dishes from. And I love vegetable soup...not sure what I'd do to vamp it up though for a vegetarian alternative. I'd probably just add more vegetables. LOL And some crusty bread for dipping!!!!! Happy Easter, Missy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cool way to vary up the soup. I especially love the sound of the low-country boil. I've always wanted to try that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it's so good, Mary Cate! You need to try it next time you're down south.

      Delete