Friday, April 7, 2017

Vegetable Soup...to Shrimp Stew: Part 1

Missy Tippens

I told y'all a couple of weeks ago that I've joined Weight Watchers. Since then, I've been trying to find ways to eat vegetables to fill up without using many points.

Today, I wanted to share a healthy, tasty vegetable soup. I didn't follow a recipe. I just threw in whatever I could find on hand. And then next week, I'll share how I used part of the batch to make shrimp stew.

Missy's Everything But the Kitchen Sink Soup

Cabbage, chopped or shredded (I used a full head but might use half next time)
Carrots, peeled and chopped (I used two larges ones)
1 Onion, chopped (I used sweet--Vidalia)
2 tsp garlic, chopped
Cauliflower chopped (I used 3/4 of a small head)
1 large or 2 small zucchini, chopped
1 small bag frozen corn
2 large cans of crushed tomatoes (or diced if you prefer)
1 bunch of Greens, stems removed (I used Tuscan kale)
2 boxes broth (I used 1 vegetable and 1 chicken)
Additional water as desired
2 tsp dried Italian spice mix (crushed to perk up the flavor)

Heat a little olive oil in a large soup pot. Cook onions until translucent, then add garlic. Add in the carrots and cabbage and cook until beginning to soften. I usually add some kosher salt at this point and each time I add new vegetables. I tend to season as I go.


Add zucchini and cauliflower.


Add corn and broth. Add additional seasonings of your choice. I used about 2 tsp dried Italian spices.




Add additional water to bring the level of liquids up to the desired level. Let it simmer.

While the soup is cooking, cut or pull stems out of the greens. You can actually slide the greens right off the stems when using this type of kale. Then chop the greens.


During the last few minutes of cooking, add the greens. Once they're wilted, you can serve the soup. You can see here that I remembered the tomatoes right at the end! I'd suggest adding them when you add the broth.


This turned out so good! It made three huge Tupperware containers to store in the freezer or fridge. Next week, I'll share what I made with one of those containers of leftover soup: shrimp stew!

www.missytippens.com

6 comments:

  1. Missy! We're swapping roles. This looks so healthy! Which I need today because I made my white pizza again last night. It was that kind of day.

    Hope Weight Watchers is going well for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, Mary Cate! Yeah, I hope to be posting healthier recipes for a while. :)

      It's going well so far! I'm learning that some of my past food choices would have been a gazillion points! Who knew loaded queso was more than a day's worth of points (even without the chips)! LOL

      Delete
  2. This looks so good, Missy. Except I'd probably forgo the zucchini. Not a fan. And you go just about anywhere with your seasonings. Italian, Mexican, Asian... The possibilities are endless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I love Italian seasonings with vegetable soup, but I do like to change it up. Sometimes I'll use chili powder.

      Delete
  3. My friend made something like this a few days ago and shared it with me. It was sooooo good! Springtime always makes me think of vegetables and fresh food. SO glad winter is over!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Mary Virginia! I see all the recipes posted on blogs that include peas and asparagus and other greens, and I crave healthy food!

      Delete