Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Chocolate Peanut Bliss... And It Couldn't be Easier

Merry Christmas, everyone! Yes, now that Thanksgiving is behind us, the Christmas season is officially here. I spent the weekend putting up decorations. Yes, I tend to go a little overboard, which explains why it took so long. But put on a Christmas movie or some holiday tunes and it doesn't seem like work at all.

Now that the decorations are up, though, it's time to start on all that holiday baking. This is a recipe I shared as a guest blogger many years ago here at the cafe. This recipe is so easy, so delicious and, best of all, freezes well. It's the perfect thing to have on hand for last-minute guests, parties or gift-giving. 

So let's get to it.

For these Peanut Clusters, you will need:

1 package chocolate almond bark
1 package white almond bark
12 oz. semi sweet chocolate chips
1 - 4 oz. bar Baker’s German’s sweet chocolate
34.5 oz. dry roasted peanuts
First, chop up your almond barks. Just get a big ol' knife, a cutting board, maybe put on some Christmas music and you're ready to go. 
Then put the chopped almond barks, chocolate, and chocolate chips into a Crock Pot. 
Set the heat on high or low and stir occasionally until melted. Or, if you prefer to get it all done at once, melt the chocolates in the microwave, stirring every minute until melted. I usually just use the Crock Pot, though, since it really doesn't take that long. Once everything is melted and smooth...

Stir in your peanuts.
**Note: You MUST use dry roasted peanuts for this recipe. Anything else will mess with the consistency and the chocolate won't set. And there's nothing worse than having to throw out an entire batch of candy.

Once everything is mixed, drop by spoonfuls, as big or small as you like, onto parchment or waxed paper. They release easier from the parchment paper, but should you run out as I did, waxed paper will suffice.

Remember how I said this was an easy recipe? Well, now all you have to do is allow them to harden and ENJOY.
That's all there is to it.

Yes, this recipe makes a lot. But as I said, they freeze wonderfully. Meaning they can last the entire Christmas season. Perfect to pull out and serve on a pretty plate whenever company arrives. They’ll think you slaved all day. And the combination of sweet and salty will curb everyone’s craving.

So is it Christmas at your house yet or are you pacing yourself? Have you started your holiday baking? What's on your list of Christmas must-haves?

17 comments:

  1. the peanuts will say dry roasted? no salted? don't want any surprises..maybe I should do this for work...would have to do that or I'd eat them all :-( now to find parchment paper and be ready to make as soon as I get the ingredients or I'll eat the ingredients...
    Susanna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susanna, just look for dry roasted peanuts. From there you can find lightly salted, etc. I usually just get the regular salted (though the package won't say that) dry roasted peanuts. And you should be able to find parchment paper with the foil, waxed paper, etc. Your coworkers will love you. :)

      Delete
  2. I'll be continuing the theme tomorrow Mindy. It's the most wonderful time of the year! These look yummie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is indeed the most wonderful time of the year, Julie. (Can you hear Andy Williams crooning in the background?) Can't wait to see what you're sharing tomorrow.

      Delete
    2. Well, I can tell you I'm sharing a picture of my sister's kitchen counter that looks almost exactly like yours! The good news is that it wasn't part of the recipes. Makes me wonder how many kitchens across the land are smelling like chocolate this week.

      Delete
    3. Julie, are you referring to the black countertop, because that's my old one. I reused the pix from three years ago. And, ya know, I'm thinking this country might be a better place if more kitchens smelled like chocolate. ;)

      Delete
  3. THIS IS PURE GENIUS, MINDY. I love doing it in the crock pot idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know how much you love Crock Pot recipes, Tina. Though I have to attribute this to somebody else's genius.

      Delete
  4. Hmmmmm....they kind of look like homemade Turtles. Do you have Turtles in the states? (The chocolate kind) They look truly yummy. I started drooling at the picture of the melted chocolate. :-)

    Christmas is going to be low key at my house this year. No tree, minimal decorations. Doesn't that sound Scroogey? It's 'cause I'm off on disability leave from work until the end of December and I'm doing intense physio at home. Love that I have a physiotherapist who comes to me! But my wee little house is over run by equipment and I don't have the room...or the inclination...to decorate. I just want happy feet for Christmas. :-) I am baking though. That's considered therapy too as I work on my hands so I'm doing all my daughter's holiday baking. She's hosting a couple of parties and wants to give some cookies as gifts. Alas, she is also scheduled for some training on weekends and helping friends move another weekend so she was starting to panic about getting everything done. Mama to the rescue!!!! So my house is going to smell like Christmas!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Kav, I'm sure your house is going to smell absolutely divine. Makes me wish I could come up there and bake with you. Just think of all the tea and cookies we could scarf down. ;)

      So is this a new injury or a recurrence that's got you on physiotherapy? And is physiotherapy what we call physical therapy? Whatever the case, I'm so sorry you're not up to speed. But I'm really glad they come to you instead you having to get out in the cold.

      It's a mom's honor to come to their baby's rescue, so I know that all of that baking is going to be done with lots of love. Your daughter's friends might be knocking on your door wanting more.

      Turtles are one of my favorite candies. I assume you're talking about the ones with pecans and caramel, covered with chocolate, because that's what we have. No caramel in this recipe, though. Just chocolate, baby.

      And no, you do not sound Scroogey. Just practical. Doesn't mean you can't have a few Christmassy touches here and there. Even if you don't, your place will definitely smell festive.

      Delete
    2. Ewwwwwww -- I'm two days away from grocery shopping and have my meals carefully planned since I'm missing quite a few key ingredients. So lentil soup was on the menu. Got the veggies cut and the veggie broth simmering and then discovered I didn't have any lentils. Boohoo. Turned my supper into mashed veggies and a fried egg. LOL The saving grace was going to be my homemade rice pudding -- until these dark grains with legs floated to the surface. Ewwwwwwwwwww. Last of the milk wasted. Tossing out the rest of the rice and dancing a heebie jeebie dance up here. Ugh.

      So -- I have this neurological condition -- have had for the past four years. It's very painful -- traveled from my feet up into my legs and then when I was unpacking my library in September my left hand started giving me fits. I finally had a melt down in October and thankfully was divinely led to a physio group that specializes in neurological issues. I've been working with them for a month and am seeing some results. I can now type with two hands....yay...and I can wiggle the big toe on my left foot, and rotate booth feet a bit. Big improvement as pathetic as that sounds. Oh...and there's actually a space between my first three toes on my left foot. Woot!!!!!! LOL. A physiotherapist is someone who treats a patient with a combination of exercise, manipulations, acupuncture (not me!!!), stretches etc. And they have machines that help with inflammation and pain etc. Probably the same thing as what you call physical therapist.

      Delete
    3. Kav, I feel your pain not he floaty legged "grains"! That makes me so mad when that happens. I'm sorry it hit you at a time when you had the rest of the recipe started.

      I'm glad the therapy is helping! Keep up the great work!

      Delete
    4. Oh, no! I bet you were doing the heebie-jeebie dance. I hate it when I have to waste ingredients.

      I'm SOOOO glad they're taking good care of you and things are starting to get back to normal. That had to have been scary. Will be praying for quick healing. Who knows, perhaps baking therapy will be the best therapy of all. ;)

      Delete
  5. I peeked at your recipe this morning before I went to the grocery store - and, of course, bought the supplies to make them!

    We're preparing for Christmas baking around here. Last year I had a deadline mid-December, so delayed the baking. My poor husband has been complaining ever since. So this year, I sent my book in early! He's anticipating :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, hubby will be so happy. You'll have these knocked out in no time. Especially with all those helping hands around your house. Instant gratification.

      Those men do like their traditions, too, don't they? Especially when it comes to food. Heaven forbid we hear a comment like, "You didn't make such and such this year."

      Yes, it's best we keep those men of ours happy so we can keep writing. :)

      Delete
  6. I love these! I make something similar. YUM!!

    Now, I just need to figure out when to bake and make candy. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Missy, these are so easy that I usually do them after dinner. Can knock them all out in no time.

      Delete