Today Christmas ads have taken the place of political ads. After a moment of relief, I realized there is no talk of Thanksgiving and I'm having trouble finding turkey napkins! I'm not a scrooge. I'm reading as many Christmas novels and novellas as I can and watching Hallmark Christmas movies. BUT....
This year I've had to be really conscious of gratitude and thanks. I constantly have to remind myself which is why this quote is on my email signature:
Here are a few things big and small I'm thankful for this November:
1) My hair has finally grown out to my preferred style:
2) I reached RWA Pro status, meaning I am serious about this writing thing and lived through rejection letters:
3) Lawboy graduated and has been sworn in as a lawyer. We are still praying for a permanent job for him but are thankful he passed the Bar and is past the stress of school.
4) My dad could have easily died in his sleep but, thanks to his wife and a new pacemaker, he is back to hiking in the mountains at the age of 84! Isn't he cute?
5) Speaking of hiking, my gratitude overflows that this guy of mine is back to hiking. Two strokes of the very rare kind since January, skin cancer surgery, and a bad appendix (yes, appendix removal can actually be scheduled and not an emergency) requiring surgery next week have honed my ability to see the good in everything. And yes, he was able to hike down into this canyon and then back up!
I have lots of other reasons to be especially thankful but these are a few of the major ones. Maybe you can see why I am all about Thanksgiving this year.
So, what are you especially thankful for this year? Has it been easy to be full of gratitude or have you had to work at it? What will you do to keep the focus on Thanksgiving during November?