Friday, November 7, 2014

Slow Cooker Curried Chicken

Missy, here. Sharing a recipe I discovered yesterday while trying to find something to make with a package of chicken thighs I had bought (my first time to try them). I found the recipe at Foodnetwork.com.

Here's the original: Slow Cooker Chicken Curry

Of course, like usual, I didn't have all the ingredients I needed. I didn't have canned tomatoes. (What kind of person runs out of diced tomatoes, crushed tomatoes AND tomato sauce all at the SAME TIME?!) So here's my adjusted recipe…

Sauce:
2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
1 Tbsp flour
2-3 Tbsp tomato paste
2 tsp garam masala (plus more to sprinkle on chicken)
2 tsp curry powder (plus more to sprinkle)
1 tsp chopped garlic
1 fresh tomato, coarsely chopped or cut in wedges with juice 
1 inch piece fresh ginger (peeled and coarsely chopped)
½ tsp salt and ¼ tsp pepper (plus more to sprinkle)

Other ingredients:
1 lb. red potatoes cut in half-inch pieces (leave the peel on)
6 chicken thighs, skin removed
5 oz package of baby spinach or other greens (I used baby kale, spinach and arugula).


Put sauce ingredients (everything except potatoes, chicken and greens) in blender or food processor. Blend until almost smooth (a little chunky is fine).

Cover bottom of slow cooker with the potatoes.


Top with the chick in a single layer. Sprinkle spices on the chicken.


Pour sauce over the top. Cook on high 4 hours or low 6 hours. I did mine about 4 hours on high, then turned to low until dinner time. It was tender as anything and fell right off the bones.

When ready to eat, remove the lid, pour in the greens, and stir until wilted.


This was so tasty!! Not spicy at all, just very flavorful. And very tender and moist. Just be careful of the bones! The chicken falls apart as you're stirring and leaves the bones behind. :)

13 comments:

  1. did the peel stay on the potatoes? not wild about skins (though even less wild about peeling!) looks good. didn't know they sold chicken pieces with bones and skin nowadays!
    Susanna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Susanna, the potato skin stayed on. And with red potatoes it's so thin you don't even notice it's skin. Much easier than peeling! :)

      You know, I'm so used to buying skinless, boneless chicken breasts that I almost forgot to take the skin off! But yes, they do sill sell pieces with skin on. :)

      Delete
  2. I was shocked when I ran out of canned tomatoes too..actually think I'm low again and out of tomato sauce...
    Susanna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I finally got them put on my grocery list! It was shocking because I've usually always had enough to feed us through a weather disaster! I don't even remember using the last can.

      Delete
  3. I just pulled out my slow cooker now that the weather has turned cold and there's snow in the forecast. But I'm going to make minestrone soup. Love the way the whole house takes on the smell of all that yummy goodness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy your soup, Kav! Wow, I can't imagine snow. We're warming up again this weekend. Up near 70 degrees, I think. I'll be thinking of you all bundled up!

      Delete
  4. I'm going to try this, Missy! Sounds delicious, and I love chicken thighs (about only one in family who does)! Maybe they will enjoy them this way.
    Question...if you had canned tomatoes, what size would you use???And diced or crushed?? You got me on those fratelli (sp) and they are great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jackie, my sauce was a little dry. So the original recipe probably would have been better. It calls for 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes (which you'll be blending up). So if you have sauce or crushed tomatoes, you could just use those.

      Delete
  5. Do you know they used to make chicken pie with the bones???? and they'd just fish them out? I was amazed when I discovered that, and I suppose if you're working on an 1860's stove, you do what you must, but I'll be buying boneless thighs for this! I love dark meat, I love the tender, moist texture of it, but the bones mixed in would annoy me. Of course, darlings, what DOESN'T annoy the Ruthinator????? Must try this, though, because I love layered crock pot dishes! Thank you, Missy Tippens! (I just like to say her name.... It makes me smile, every time!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it just shows what a newbie I am at chicken thighs. I didn't even know you could buy them boneless. :)

      Delete
    2. I think it's a new thing. But how cool, right? I'm all for boneless and easy!

      Delete
  6. Given the weather I am thrilled to see this recipe. I am such a chicken thigh fan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't like dark meat, but the thighs seem more light than dark.

      Delete