Saturday, November 1, 2014

Meat and potatoes

Hello, everybody! The Fresh Pioneer is back! I thought I'd try out some little Pinterest recipes. 
 I've heard these called hasselback potatoes but my friend says they're not hasselback if you don't add the beead crumbs. Which I didn't. So, get a large russet, slice very thin but not all the way through.
 Drizzle olive oil, making sure to get in between each slice.
 Add salt, pepper, any kind of seasoning. One of my kids wanted theirs with Seasoned Salt and that was really tasty. I opted for salt and pepper.
 Place them on a sheet with foil, into the oven at 425F for 40 minutes.
 They turned out perfectly! Crispy, salty, savory. And all in one piece. For once, not a Pinterest fail!
 
 I'm sticking this here because it's a bit too simple for its own post. My friend told me she makes delicious oven fries and the simple trick is to rinse in ice cold water to get off the starch that the potatoes leak when you cut them, pat dry and then put on the oil and salt. WOW. Big difference!
Yummy.... I cooked mine with a big piece of Kielbasa sausage and then sliced the sausage into individual servings. With some honey mustard and a big red pepper, my husband thought it was pretty tasty. Not a real vegetable in sight!


OOOPS! Sorry this post is so late! I had it set for the 8th. I'm finally ahead of myself... but it's not in a good way, haha. I came over here and thought, "Did I make soup? I don't remember making soup." Lol

Take care and see you all next time!

11 comments:

  1. I'm laughing at the soup comment! I love anything potato. I've never met a spud that wasn't a close, personal friend, and this is too easy to be believed. MUST TRY THIS WEEK. I'll grab me some potatoes and give it a whirl because I think this is a crowd pleaser! Sunday afternoon football supper! Perfect! But I haven't much been near a kitchen this week, crazy busy kid week and Dave was home working firewood so it's been slap-together stuff. This might make him smile!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My kids loved it! It was like potato chips... but all in one piece. And I don't usually have a big hunk of meat on a plate but hubby sure was happy!

      Delete
  2. YUM!! I'm with Ruthy. I love all potatoes! I'll definitely be trying this. Thanks, Virginia! The sausage looks good too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You just never know with Pinterest. Those recipes always look amazing and then... inedible. But this was easy and good! (Plus, my older kids can make it, so double win.)

      Delete
  3. I've always wanted to try those!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Potatoes are such a good staple. I also like cutting those slices all the way through and scattering them over the cookie sheet, drizzled with a little oil and sprinkled with powdered onion/garlic salt. Sooooo good, no matter how you do them. I'm going to try them your way next time. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know what was so nce about this? I could cook a lot of them and I didn't need two cookie sheets. I lost one of my smaller cookie sheets and now I just have two giant sheets that don't sit side by side in the oven, so... This worked!

      Delete
    2. Carol, we do something like that from an old Yankee Magazine cookbook, but with butter. You dip each thin slice in butter and roast it, but Virginia, that's exactly why this is better! MORE OVEN ROOM!!!!! And for Super Bowl Sunday, these could be turned into Cowboy Potatoes with chili and cheese, or cheese and bacon, sour cream on the side.

      These are for the I don't care if my clothes don't fit days when a girl's just gotta stinkin' relax and love potatoes and pasta!!! :)

      Delete
    3. LOL. I never get that around here because there are so many hungry little people (and one hungry larger person)!

      I will rue the day when there are only a few people in the house and I'm still cooking for a crowd. Adjustments will have to be made!

      But for now, I can cook with impunity. It's always MUCH more likely that there won't be enough than there will be too much. I never have to worry about picking at the left overs!

      Delete
  5. I wanna try this! I also keep meaning to try those the pioneer woman does- hot crash potatoes I think she calls them -smoosh and coat with the good stuff...
    Susanna

    ReplyDelete