Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Countdown to Thanksgiving

Yes, it's almost here. That one day of the year we set aside to give thanks for family, friends, our country and all the blessings God has so bountifully poured out on us. So it should come as no surprise that we celebrate such a day as most God-fearing people would--with food! 
And lots of it.

However, thanksgiving and leftovers go hand-in-hand. So before the turkey is even roasted, I wanted to give you at least one way to use those leftovers by revisiting a recipe I posted last year. It's quick, easy and, best of all, yummy.

So here's what you'll need for this easy Turkey Tetrazzini:
  • 1 - 8 oz. package of egg noodles, cooked
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1/4 - 1/2 cup chopped onion
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 - 6 oz. can sliced mushrooms
  • Salt (optional)
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 2 cups chopped turkey (I used a mix of both white and dark meat)
  • 1 - 10.75 oz. can cream of celery soup
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 1/2 grated Parmesan cheese (I recommend grating your own cheese for this so it melts better)
Cook the egg noodles per package instructions until al dente.

While the noodles are cooking, melt butter in a large heavy skillet. Sauté onion and garlic for a couple of minutes, then add mushrooms and cook for an additional minute.


Stir in the turkey, soup, and sour cream. Taste, then add salt and pepper as needed.
I didn't add any salt, but did add the 1/8 tsp. of pepper.

Place your cooked noodles into the bottom of a greased 9 x 13 pan.
It will be a thin layer, so don't panic.

Now pour your sauce mixture over the top, spreading as needed to cover and top with Parmesan.

Bake in preheated 375 oven for 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown.
(I wish you could smell this.)

Serve alone or with a salad.

Okay, I have to tell you, this dish earned my boys' stamp of approval. And we know how picky they can be. Matter of fact, the little bit that was leftover was gone before bedtime because someone got hungry. Which reminds me, if you're making this for more than 4 people, I recommend doubling the recipe.

There you go. Quick, easy, frugal, and oh, so tasty. :)

Now it's your turn. What's your favorite way to use your turkey leftovers?

Happy Thanksgiving, y'all!

9 comments:

  1. I love Turkey Tettrazinni. Your recipe is easier than mine too. But oh the carbs. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I must find a way around those, Tina. I'll probably substitute some variety of Dreamfields pasta for the noodles. Not sure about the soup. Will have to check.

      Delete
  2. Turkey Tetrazzini is one of our favorite ways to use leftover turkey! And of course, we plan to have leftover turkey. I bought a 21# bird this year, and then bought another 3# breast to make sure we have leftovers!

    The canned soup does add carbs :( But you can use the cream of mushroom soup cubes recipe I shared a while back (http://yankeebellecafe.blogspot.com/2014/03/homemade-cream-of-mushroom-soup.html), make the soup with chicken broth and add some chopped celery. And instead of pasta in casseroles, I've been using cauliflower. Tasty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure how I feel about substituting cauliflower for pasta/noodles, Jan. And o know my crew would turn up their noses. Especially my husband. He won't even eat my fauxtatoes. I will revisit your soup cube recipe, though. ;)

      Delete
    2. I make the family's casserole with normal pasta, and then my own little casserole just for me :)

      In most casseroles, you make the sauce/meat/cheese mixture, and then add the pasta last. I just ladle out some of that sauce and pour it over my cauliflower before adding the pasta for the rest of the family.

      Delete
  3. I made this last year. Must do it again!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Guess I know what we'll all be having for dinner Friday, right Missy? ;)

      Delete
  4. I'm trying this on Friday! I bought the ingredients tonight. It looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do, Virginia. Happy Thanksgiving!

      Delete