Monday, March 10, 2014

Quick Delicious Chicken for Speedbo!

About half of you are reading that title right now and thinking, "What in the world is Speedbo?"

Speedbo is Seekerville's version of write-a-novel-in-a-month. You can read more about it here!


March madness has nothing on 165 authors putting everything aside to make writing their top priority for a month!

But one thing that doesn't have to suffer is your cooking. Here at the cafe, we're known for putting quick, easy meals together. Just scroll through the list of labels in that right-hand bar over there until you get to "Speedbo" and "Speedbo Meals." There are loads of great ideas!

Today's recipe is another one. Quick, easy, and everyone in my family loved it. It's a perfect dish to start in the crock-pot early in the morning, and then forget it until suppertime. Add some veggies and noodles or rice, and you have dinner!

Delicious Chicken in the Crock Pot
serves 6

Ingredients:
6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
salt to taste
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon celery seed
1/2 teaspoon paprika

1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can cream of chicken soup
1/3 cup cooking sherry (or substitute chicken broth)
grated Parmesan cheese


Place the chicken in your crock pot, and sprinkle with lemon juice, salt, pepper, paprika and celery seed. (I use those crock pot liners for quick and easy clean up.)



In a small bowl, mix the soups and cooking sherry (or chicken broth) together.


Pour the soups over the chicken, and then sprinkle with the grated Parmesan cheese.


Turn your crock pot on low, and leave it for 8 to 10 hours. 

That's it! About 20 minutes before you want to serve it, cook your noodles (or rice), and add a veggie and/or salad, and you're good to go!


Now, can it get much easier than that?

Are you Speedbo-ing this month? Or is there another reason you love quick meals? Let's chat about it!

16 comments:

  1. I'm speedboing. :-) Got behind last week, but I'm off for a week now and determined to catch up. Weather is cooperating -- snow. :-( I don't think I'm even going to open the curtains this morning let alone go outside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it great to have a week off? I hope your writing goes swimmingly :)

      I'm so far behind my Speedbo goals, I won't even talk about it...but I'm NOT giving up!

      Delete
    2. Enjoy being snowed in, Kav! I just wish you had some sunshine along with it.

      Delete
  2. I haev a problem with a lot of the crockpot chicken recipes i've tried- the chicken ends up tasting like the canned stuff :-( this recipe sounds good - may give it a try. so far the only long-cooked one that hasn't been canned tasting has been the one with the frozen chicken breasts with the salsa or ro-tel tomatoes and canned black beans then corn added later.

    and I don't know how ya'll cook with those liners! I'm paranoid the plastic stuff will leech into my food (ok yeah I know eating at mcdonald's is probably worse in the whole scheme of things LOL but still makes me paranoid!)
    Susanna who's anonymous here at work...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This chicken cooks long enough that it's fall off the bone tender (if there was a bone!). It ended up being almost like a chicken gravy with big chunks of chicken in it.

      And I started using the crock pot liners when I wanted my children to do the dishes - when I make things easy for them, they don't complain :) I'll have to look into the plastic/leaching thing, though. I don't know if it says anything on the box....

      Delete
    2. I"ve heated stuff in the microwave in plastic forever it seems but kinda gotten paranoid about it. They're already saying leaving those plastic water bottles in the car in the heat causes bad stuff to get in the water so just don't know. the woman I work with refuses to use the microwave - uses the toaster oven and brings stuff in glass
      susanna

      Delete
    3. Yeah, Susanna, I'm paranoid, too. I make the kids use water bottles that don't have the bad plastics in them. I'm assuming since these are made to heat, that they're safe. But I should probably do some research!

      Delete
  3. A huge big serious thank you! I will use this recipe tomorrow.

    I don't use plastic liners either, but only because cleanup really isn't that big a deal since I am a SOAKER. (leave crock pot in sink and let it soak)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll love the main ingredients, Tina: QUICK and EASY.

      See my answer to Suzanna regarding the liners. I'm not sure what I'll do when my kids all leave home and I have to do the dishes again!

      Delete
  4. Ooo...this fits all of my requirements, Jan. Quick, easy and yummy! Can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking I might have to make it again tomorrow! I didn't get enough :)

      Delete
  5. OH, wow, that really IS easy!! Thanks, Jan!! I have some chicken in the freezer right now. I can thaw for tomorrow night.

    Must go check to make sure I have the soup, though...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can change out the soups if you need to - Cream of almost anything would work :)

      Delete
  6. SOOO funny! I was just commenting to a friend that I've never used a cream of anything soup. She was horrified. And she sent a recipe with two cans of chicken and celery... An now there's this! It's a conspiracy! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL!

      I went for a long time without using the canned soups because of the added MSG. But when I'm in a hurry, I'll use them.

      I'll have to do a post on "Cream of Anything" soup substitutes. They really are much healthier!

      Delete
  7. Oh my stars, I think I started off married life using cream of something soups... and my mother-in-law was aghast.... and my husband was so happy!!!! I'm sure it was the soup!!! :)

    I still use them for lots of things, and one is for this Thursday's post, so that's FUNNY, VIRGINIA!!!! Because other than our potato bake, I don't use them often now.

    Jan, this looks so easy and wonderful. I must try it, because I'm on a cooking slow-down. I figure if I do 50% of the meals, Dave does the other 50% or...

    He eats cereal.

    Or bagels.

    He's getting better in the kitchen some nights, and other nights: TUNA!!! :)

    I feel so blessed for all the wonderful food options we have here.... America is amazing. And easy, tasty and quick clean up have my name all over 'em!

    ReplyDelete