Friday, May 31, 2013

Salad Days--And a Wilderness Escape

Missy, here. I figured if you saw the title of the post, you would think it was a Ruthy day. But no, I, too, am trying to eat salads more often. Especially after a short vacation where we ate every meal at a restaurant!

We just went to spend a few days at my in-law's farmhouse. It's in a nice little oasis that sits smack-dab in the middle of a major metro-Atlanta county. So while we have 48 acres of wilderness...

Photo by Missy Tippens--the road to the farmhouse
Photo by Missy Tippens--panoramic view of the house

...we also have major shopping and dining nearby. Whenever we visit, we usually head to Panera Bread (just a couple of miles away) for breakfast (and wifi!). On Wednesday, we also ate lunch at Panera.

I had this wonderful salad. The Strawberry, Poppyseed and Chicken Salad.


So today, while trying to get back to my diet post-vacation, I tried to make my version of this salad with the ingredients I already had in the house (a week from my last grocery trip!)

So here's my take on the salad...


Romaine and baby kale.
Fresh blueberries (and any other fruit you have on hand)
Turkey breast (or leftover grilled chicken)
Honey roasted almonds (or walnuts if you prefer)
Raspberry vinaigrette dressing (or poppyseed dressing if you have it)

I also added some cheddar cheese after snapping the photo.

It made a yummy salad, even if I didn't have a variety of fruit like the one from Panera. It's a good way to get in your 5-a-day fruits and veggies!

So, do you like fruit on your salads?

14 comments:

  1. Oh, Missy! Thank you!

    I love Panera's salads...but guess where the closest Panera's is? More than a five hour drive. MUCH too far to go for lunch!

    It's also been a long time since I've had a salad there, so I couldn't remember exactly what was on my favorite salad from their menu.

    And yes, I love fruit on salad - baby spinach leaves with mandarin orange slices and slivered almonds...mmmm....

    And then there's Ruthy's broccoli slaw. I like mine with Craisins and sunflower seeds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, I love dried cranberries and sunflower seeds on a salad!

      Delete
  2. Panera is about 10 min from my house! parking is usually 20 min unless I'm there at a non-peak time which I try my best to do because I like to read on my ipad and check email and facebook and all that stuff so I look very important! plus I like their blueberry acai tea..I like just about everything there! and yes I thought it was a Ruthy post when I saw salad! and I wanna move to your in-law's! I like a big oasis with shopping and Panera nearby!
    Susanna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susanna, that would great to live so close! Although not so great on the budget. :)

      One of my favorite things is the cinnamon toast crunch bagel with hazelnut cream cheese. YUMMO!!

      Delete
    2. Luckily I'm too lazy to drive there too often not even monthly. No5 goofing the weight either
      Susanna

      Delete
    3. sheesh sorry all the weird typos/words- ipad is great but has this annoying auto spell feature that still surprises me :-(
      Susanna

      Delete
  3. For ages I didn't even know what Panera was and then I saw a commercial on an American station that left me drooling. Now I get it! LOL Funny thing, I never think of mixing fruit up into a salad. I'm so boring and predictable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kav, I never would have thought to mix all those fruits in a salad. In fact, I would have thought I wouldn't like it. But I decided to try the salad and loved it! Strawberries, blueberries, mandarin oranges and pineapple. It's more like a fruit salad with lettuce and walnuts added. :)

      Delete
  4. I make my own salads too. Panera is expensive. But it does work in a pinch.

    Chik Fil A has a new salad with strawberries and blueberries. And it was great.

    Peace,Julie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Julie, I just tried the new salad at Chick-fil-a and loved it!

    I guess I should have stated that the salad I showed in the photo was a half-salad. I had the combo with a half of a grilled cheese sandwich (which I actually thought needed some butter!). :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the new saldads too but why all the blue cheese?! Yuck chick fil a and Wendy's both put it on salads. I like fruit in salad but never had it til a quilt retreat when someone didi it to our salad
      Susanna

      Delete
    2. Susanna, I love blue cheese. But you're right, a lot of people don't. I was surprised to see them adding it to those salads.

      Delete
  6. That first picture is GORGEOUS!!! Like something from Pinterest!

    And I'd go for the salad, too. Gimme!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Virginia! It's always been a place I've loved! I wrote about that tunnel of trees in A House Full of Hope. :)

      Delete