(Makes a BIG pot - so half the recipe for smaller families. We have a family of 7 and usually have leftovers)
It's a great low-cost dish for the amount you get.
1. 5-6 boneless/skinless chicken breasts - cover with water and boil until done
2. Take out chicken and quarter.
3. Return quartered pieces to water (pour out excess water until the water is about an inch above quartered chicken pieces)
4. Add 1 stick of butter
5. Add 1/2 cup milk
6. salt & pepper to taste
7. Use Bisquick recipe for dumplings (usually 2-2 1/2 cup of mix and 3/4-1 c milk)
8. Drop mixture by the spoonful into boiling chicken mixture. reduce to low or low-medium
9. Cool uncovered for 10 minutes
10. Cover and cook for 10 more minutes until dumplings are fluffy
Note from Pepper:
Chicken and Dumplings are fairly easy to add vegetables as well. Some people add peas into the chicken mixture, just before adding the dumpling mixture.