Friday, October 5, 2012

The Very Best Chicken Ever

Missy, here. I wanted to share a recipe for the best chicken I think I've ever eaten. It's my friend Evelyn's recipe. But of course I don't have photos! I only have a photo of my botched attempt. Actually, my attempt tasted good. It just wasn't as good as Evelyn's Chicken!

You see, I've always loved Evelyn's chicken strips, and I've asked her how to make it. But the other night when I had some chicken to cook, I couldn't remember how she made it. So I had to improvise. And when I asked her later, I realized I hadn't done it correctly. I didn't use the right bread crumbs. And I was in a hurry and couldn't wait for the oven to preheat, so I cooked it in a skillet.



So, here's the CORRECT way to make Evelyn's Chicken.

Use a pack of chicken tenderloins.
Crunch up Ritz crackers (see my tip for crushing the Oreos from last week. Put in a ziplock baggie and pound them until crushed) and place on a plate.
Melt 3/4 to 1 stick of butter in a bowl in the microwave.
Spray a baking sheet with Pam.
Preheat oven. (I forgot to ask her what temp to use! I'd assume around 350 degrees.)

Dip chicken in the melted butter and then coat with the cracker crumbs. Place on baking sheet and bake until done (no need to turn). This chicken is amazing and buttery!!!

Here's the photo of my pan fried chicken (a little over-browned!). If you don't have time to preheat the oven, this isn't a bad way to cook it. I just sprayed the skillet with Pam and cooked about 4-5 minutes on each side (these were thin sliced chicken breasts).


Thank you Evelyn! Oh, and by the way. This is the same Evelyn who made my hubby's 14-layer birthday cake I shared in May! :)

I'll be at the Moonlight & Magnolias Conference this weekend, so I may not around to check in. I hope you all have a great weekend! If you're in the Atlanta area, be sure to come by for the book signing on Saturday! (click here for info.)

5 comments:

  1. I'm doing chicken tonight, but I have no Ritz crackers in the house...so I'll have to save this recipe for later.

    The thing I like about baked chicken rather than pan fried is that the chicken turns out moister. I've learned to cover the dish of chicken with foil and bake for about 1/2 the time listed, and then remove the foil and finish the baking. It always turns out tender and well done.

    But you're right, Missy. You have to plan ahead for it!

    Have fun at the conference!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Minerva, Louise, Henny Penny and the rest of the gals in the library henhouse would object if I attempted this recipe so hope you'll understand if I pass!

    Enjoy your conference Missy!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so tasty!

    Kav, do you really have chickens with names? Ours have names, too, but we did have to off a rooster. He was attacking the little kids and also crowing. We live in town and we're allowed to have chickens but not roosters. We tried our darndest to give him away but he was too aggressive. MAde me sad. But he did have a really great 4 years of running our yard like the head guard at the pentitentiary.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahahaha on the roosters.... Oh my stars, they're a pip, aren't they?

    I put our new roosters in a book... I changed their names to protect the innocent. Maintain their anonymity. Think of the press, the papparazzi, the fuss, the bother. No, better that folks don't know that "Piper's" Raven and Starlight live at my house!!!

    Missy, I bet the mix of those crackers and melted butter melts in your mouth! This sounds delightful and easy and I'm all over that!

    I missed yesterday. Oh my goodness, I was gone last night and we had a nice day so outside with the little ones and I can't pop in when I'm outside. I'M SUCH A SLACKER!!!! I think I'm going to take Vince some chicken because he's been such a hero in Seekerville today! Good for you, Vince Mooney!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey everybody! Thanks for stopping by even when I burn the chicken and don't act like a good hostess. :)

    We're having a great time! Wish you were all here.

    ReplyDelete