Saturday, April 22, 2017

Cherry chip cake disaster!

Hello, everybody! We made the most DELICIOUS cherry chip cake for my husband's birthday. Unfortunately... it didn't want to come out of the pan! WHY OH WHY didn't I use Ruthy's recipe?? But I have pictures so you can laugh along with us. Since it's probably user error and not really not the recipe's fault, so I'll share it, too.
But first, some of our recent happenings!

 We have a new project. We've done trunk refurbishes before and it's a BIG project. This is a steamer that my grandparents used in the early 1900's and we've had it for quite a while. But now is the time! Stay tuned for updates...
 So, my kids raised a ton of money for the Cub Scout pack and this was one of the rewards, hitting the den leader with a pie. I rolled my eyes when I heard, but apparently to an 8 year old boy, it's the greatest thing EVER.
 They were all good sports about it...
                                                      
Also one of the prizes they won- a walkie talkie set. This was very useful for when we delivered all those bags of coffee.They would run up to the door, and then they'd stop at the curb until I sad, "RETURN TO THE MOTHER SHIP".
 We just turned the last of our Easter eggs into deviled eggs and I hated to say goodbye. Our hens lay beautiful brown eggs and they turned out looking like dragon eggs!
 Also... baseball season is here. Goodness. I'm not a sports person but seeing these kids in their teeny uniforms... like goats in pajamas. SO CUTE.
                                                       
Of course, all this running around is in between viruses. We're STILL fighting different bugs. This time it was the stomach flu. Yuck.
 Cherry trees are blossoming!! Pray for good weather and no hail. A few years ago we lost most of the cherry crop in the area. It was horrible.
 Those clouds better bring rain (good) but not hail (bad).
 SO. That brings us to this delightful creation!!
 Here is my husband accepting his fabulous cake. With a smile, no less!!

It was absolutely delicious, so I'm posting the recipe. Just make sure to let it cool before removing from the pans. I wasn't in the kitchen at the time and my younger kids didn't know that step. Now they do.

1 10 ounce  jar maraschino cherries
1/2 cup butter at room temperature
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
4 large egg whites
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp almond extract
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tspt salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/3 cups buttermilk
2 tablespoons maraschino cherry juice


I also added about three drops red food coloring. Maybe that was my mistake?? LOL. Anyway, cream the butter, sugar, egg whites, vanilla and almond together. Mix the dry ingredients. Add, in alternating batches, the buttermilk and dry ingredients to the butter mixture. Add in the chopped cherries. 

Pour into greased cake pans and place in a preheated (350) for 35 minutes or so. GOOD LUCK. :D

All in all, it was delicious. We used a buttercream icing but you can also use a cream cheese frosting if you prefer. 

That's all for now! Be sure to stop by my authors pages at Virginia Carmichael or Mary Jane Hathaway for book news. 

All the Blue of Heaven was free last week....
And on the 27th, Purple Like the West will be on sale for .99! All to prepare for a new historical release on May 15th! 

Until next time!




5 comments:

  1. I love our fails as much as our successes! You know what I've done with my Angelina's Cherry Cake since? I've split the layers and added a thin layer of Whipped cream and homemade cherry pie filling to it. With the whipped egg whites the cake rose a lot, and I wanted that broken up a little....

    I love that Cruz greeted his cake happily, LOL! Good man!

    And I love sports, and having three of my grands now old enough to play... two Little League guys this year, and one soccer-playing girl... I will love it! We lived in our car when our kids were young, and it looked like it, but I wouldn't trade it for anything. I love clean competition and the values of being part of a team... even the hard lessons learned. And it helps keep them in shape. It's so easy for kids to get out of shape these days... and in our climate here, the long, cold winters don't inspire a lot of folks outdoors.

    And yes... the little guys in uniforms are adorable. :) Even cuter than the goats!

    Happy birthday to Cruz and these are not the same covers you had for the historicals.... why did you change them? Is it a marketing thing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I noticed the new covers, too, Ruthy. I'm curious!

      Delete
    2. Yes! New covers because my cover girls were suddenly EVERYWHERE, even on two traditionally published books. NOT COOL. So I decided to make some covers that nobody will have... right out of my 15 year old daughter's imagination! Take that, cover thieves!

      And goodness... so many games. We have three games in three cities in one day and have TWO drivers. Ugh.

      Delete
  2. Well, I'll never make fun of collapsed or broken cakes, because I've had my share of them! I'm glad your husband is a good sport. My family has been as well--as long as it tastes good. :)

    Such fun photos of the boys with their new walkie-talkies! haha But poor baby on the couch with the bowl. I hate stomach viruses!

    My middle son, who is about to graduate from college, was sick with a terrible headache and congestion the last couple of days. When he didn't answer his texts for a while, I was ready to drive down there to check on him! I tell you, it never gets easier to have a sick kid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhhh, that would have made me very worried!! At least when they're here, I can check on them. And I always think of the worst. Cold and headache = spinal meningitis!!

      Yay for graduation, though! That's a big, big milestone and congrats to both of you!

      Delete