Today I'm featuring some of the kitchen gadgets that I have or are on my wish list.
1. My favorite knives. Pure Komachi 2 Series.
From Amazon: A fantastic multi-purpose knife; large, reverse scalloped edge cuts through fruits, vegetables, and bread; spatula tip gets mayo out of jar and back of blade spreads
High-carbon stainless-steel blade retains super-sharp edge over time
Color is made by bonding food-safe FDA-approved resin to the stainless-steel blade
Non-stick resin coating resists corrosion makes cleaning simple and helps blade glide through food with ease.
Handle is lightweight and ergonomically contoured for a comfortable, fatigue-reducing grip
You can collect them one at a time as I do or buy them as a set with or without the holder.
2. On the top of my wish list! The Paderno Spiralizer from Williams-Sonoma for vegetables, including making zucchini pasta! There are a variety of models and price ranges. This is the 4 blade.
From Williams-Sonoma: "This simple-to-use machine produces spiral cuts, shoestrings and vegetable "noodles" for adding a new texture to pasta dishes, stir-fries, and salads. You can make long ribbons of cucumber, carrots, and radishes for salads, or apple spirals for apple slaw. Cut onion rings, potato chips, shoestring potatoes or curly sweet potato fries in seconds."
I recently learned that Ruth Logan Herne uses something called the Zoodle Slicer.
3. OXO Good Grips 3-in-1 Avocado Slicer. Available on Amazon here.
I ordered this product after mangling two avocados making taco salad. I love it and it's dishwasher safe.
4. I'm shopping new spatulas as well. The Best Review Guide recommends these.
But I'm looking for a one piece all purpose spatula. I'm tired of seeing residue between the handle and the spatula itself. Considering these. Any suggestions?
di Oro Living Silicone Spatula Set
5. Not a gadget, but I highly recommend that if you are not following this site, you start now. The Kitchn. Follow on Pinterest, FB, and Instagram. But start by checking out the website and signing up for the newsletter. You can thank me later.
6. Finally I present a gadget that's only four bucks, but once it arrives, you will wonder how you lived without it.
Hutzler 571 Banana Slicer
Has 5,551 reviews and 634 answered questions. You can't go wrong with this baby. A sampling of information customer comments:
Question: Is there a metric version? My mom lives in Europe and I don't want to send her one that won't work in her country.
Answer: Yes, the US version has the slicers spaced at 0.375". The metric version has the slicers spaced at 9.525 mm. I hope that helps.
Question: A friend used my H571 to slice a few bananas, but accidentally sliced too many. Is there any reverse mode to unslice them? The manual is not helpful.
Answer: Yes, I was confused as well, but after some experimentation, I found that instead of pressing down the slicer onto the banana to slice, you can unslice by pushing the unused slices back through the corresponding slots. I will post a video on Youtube when I have a free moment. I... just... can't stop using this amazing product.
That's it!!! Those are my Kitchen Gadgets. Any gadgets you'd like to recommend?
Tina Radcliffe is a two-time Golden Heart finalist, a two-time Carol Award finalist, and a 2014 Carol Award winner. Her 2015 release, Safe in the Fireman's Arms, is the recipient of the Holt Medallion Merit Award Finalist and a Bookseller's Best Award finalist.