Friday, November 13, 2015

Homemade Ranch Dressing

with Missy Tippens

Last weekend, my son and daughter came home for the weekend bringing friends (his girlfriend, her roommate) with them for their first visit to our home. We had a wonderful time! I can't believe I didn't take any photos. HOWEVER I did take a couple of photos Saturday afternoon as I was cooking.

I decided to serve chicken fettuccine Alfredo, which I've shared on here before (or maybe I shared a version without chicken).

I also served a salad and decided to make homemade dressing I'd seen Ree Drummond make on Food Network.

Here's a link to the original recipe. As I'm writing the recipe here for you, I realized I forgot the garlic, the paprika and the cayenne pepper!! I knew something was missing, and even wondered about adding garlic next time. LOL Man, I guess I got distracted. So you may want to check off items as you add them. :)

1 clove garlic (the missing garlic!) :)
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup real mayonnaise
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup Italian flat-leaf parsley chopped
2 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped
1 tablespoon fresh chives chopped (very easy to do with kitchen scissors)
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon white vinegar (I used red wine vinegar)
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 to 1/2 cup buttermilk (as needed for desired consistency)

dash of hot sauce (which I planned to leave off)

The recipe calls for mixing everything together. But I made it in the blender. It turned out nice and green!


I made the dressing ahead of time and refrigerated it in these cool new "jars" I bought--Ball Plastic Freezer Jars.


Here's the pretty green dressing on my salad. Next time I'll try making it with all the ingredients! :)

14 comments:

  1. Hahaha! I'm so glad I'm not the only one who does that!!!! And the green is sassy! If you'd hand-mixed it, it would have been white with green flecks, right? Missy, this sounds delicious... with the garlic. :)

    I must confess, I buy the jar of Hidden Valley Ranch at Sam's and use that. And I buy the big two-pack of premade for the kids and their nuggets and veggies. They love it, and it's easier than making it and possibly wasting half. :( But I've never tried homemade!!!!! You rock, Missy-the-adventurer!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruthy, I decided I didn't want chunks of parsley. LOL

      I buy bottles of Lite Ranch as well. But most recently had been buying ranch dressing made with yogurt in the refrigerator section with the produce. But I recently ate at a restaurant (while we were in the mountains) that made a homemade buttermilk ranch. It was AMAZING. And that inspired me to go look up that recipe I'd seen on Food Network. I can't wait to try it again with all the ingredients! :)

      Delete
  2. Wow, Missy. I'm impressed. Home made salad dressing! You must have felt inspired. And what a wonderful weekend, a house full of kids and friends. Love and miss those days.

    The Ball freezer jars are way cool. I haven't seen them before. Must go looking!

    Happy Friday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, I bought the jars at Walmart. I was looking for a nice sized glass jar, but they only came in 6 packs. Then I spotted these that came in a 2-pack. I decided to give it a try! The lids don't twist on. They press on and seem to seal well. Very cool.

      Delete
  3. I'm going to have to look for those jars! Are they glass? They look like the perfect size.

    I love home made salad dressing, but never take the time to make it. I'm going to be trying your recipe (with ALL the ingredients, LOL!)

    And isn't it fun to have the kids and their friends over? We're getting to know a bunch of newbies to our family - I love it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're plastic, Jan! And the top is rubberized so it seals well.

      yes, we really enjoyed having the kids here and getting to know them better. Loved them both!

      Delete
  4. Ohhhh....I love the jars too. LOL And the idea of making dressing from scratch. Still haven't tried that. Wonder how long it would last though? Now you have me craving a salad. Sigh. I'm already missing the fresh product at the farmer's market. Glad you had a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kav, I would think it would be good for a week or so. I ate it several times last week and am almost out!

      Delete
  5. I have a bad habit of throwing ingredients together for a salad dressing, tasting, throwing in more, seasoning, mixing well, and serving -- then, when we discover how much we like it, forgetting exactly what I used. Ack!!! I like the sound of this recipe. Will make it... and actually write it down to remember for next time. :)

    The jars look perfect. I wonder if they'll have them in our Walmart (Canada's). Must look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, Carol! Definitely write it each time in case you love it! :) I would think your Walmart would have the jars. Ball jars a big name brand, at least around here.

      Delete
  6. I use those freezer jam containers, too! And LOVE the green dressing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How fun, Virginia! I hadn't seen the jars before. They'd be great for jelly/jam.

      Delete
  7. The color reminds me of a green goddess dressing, Missy.

    Will have to check out those freezer jars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too, Mindy! I almost added my Penzey's Green Goddess dressing seasoning to it. :)

      Delete