Monday, November 30, 2015

Chocolate Swirl Cheesecake With a Purpose

Early last summer I was asked to contribute my time and talents to a wonderful organization, Love INC. Of course I said yes! Not only was it an opportunity to bake one of my favorite desserts, but it was a great way to support a fabulous organization.



Before we moved to the Black Hills, I had never heard of Love INC. The organization shows Love to people in need In the Name of Christ.

They do it joyfully, wisely, prayerfully and with respect and dignity.

The first time we attended the big fall fundraiser and I learned about this organization, I was very impressed. They really do live out the motto, "give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach him to fish and he'll eat for the rest of his life."

This organization teaches people to fish.

When you look at the causes of poverty for many people, you tend to find the same repeated cycles: unemployment because of substance abuse or felony convictions; ignorance regarding finances and budgeting, nutrition, and childcare; lack of access to transportation; lack of access to decent housing.

So how does Love INC help?

First, they address the immediate need that brought the individual or family to the organization asking for help. There is a food pantry, a furniture clearinghouse, and staff members who can identify the real need and start the family on the road to acquiring the tools needed to make better decisions for themselves and their families.

Then they ask for help. Anyone participating in the program is asked to volunteer. Volunteer hours help to "pay" for the assistance they receive, but more importantly, they provide a way for participants to extend a helping hand to others.

Next, participants are given the opportunity to participate in classes like "Money 101," "Employment Prep," "Nutrition on a Budget," "Strengthening Families," and "Christianity Explored." Classes are held in area churches on weekday evenings. Meals and childcare are provided, and there is no cost. Everything is provided by volunteers - participants, former participants, and volunteers from local churches.



This program changes lives.

And Love INC isn't only here - it's a worldwide organization. For more information, please visit their website. Look to see if there is a affiliate near you. Here's the link - go visit, then come back for the cheesecake!


You might remember that I've made cheesecake at the Cafe before. You can read that post here. What that post taught me was that my oven was never going to bake well. It wouldn't keep an even temperature, and would fluctuate up or down 50° during the baking time. Grrrr!

Fast forward a few years, and we have a new oven, and a wiser baker. :)

Chocolate Swirl Cheesecake

Let's start with the crust:

Pate Sucree

ingredients:
1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
8 Tablespoons butter
1 large egg yolk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 Tablespoon water


Pre-heat your oven to 375 degrees.

In a medium sized mixing bowl, whisk together flour, sugar and salt, and then cut in the butter.

Whisk together the egg yolk, vanilla and water in a small bowl, and then stir the liquid into the dry mixture.



The dough should be crumbly, but should hold together when you squeeze it.

Press the dough into the bottom of your pan and about 1/2 inch up the sides.


The dough tends to be a bit sticky, so I cover the bottom of a glass with plastic wrap and used that to carefully press the dough flat and up the sides of the pan.

Prick the bottom all over with a fork, and then bake at 375 degrees for 12 to 15 minutes.

It should be lightly browned.

Remove it from the oven and set aside to cool.





Now, before you do anything else, reduce the heat in your oven to 325°. You'll thank me later.

Before I go on, I have to put in a plug for my favorite baking cookbook. This is where this recipe is from -- The King Arthur Flour Baker's Companion. Put it on your Christmas list.



Now for the Cheesecake

This is a sweet, chocolate swirl cheesecake, so the ingredients are a little bit different than you'd use for a classic cheesecake.

ingredients:
3 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese at room temperature
1 1/4 cups sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 large eggs
1 Tablespoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups heavy or whipping cream

chocolate swirl ingredients:
1/2 cup heavy or whipping cream
3/4 cup semisweet or bittersweet chocolate (I used Ghiradelli 60% cacao chips)

note bene (that's Latin - it means "note well," and means you really need to pay attention to this detail!):  The biggest problem most bakers have with cheesecake is that the surface cracks while the cheesecake is cooling. There are two very important things to do to prevent this. The first is to keep from incorporating air into the batter during the mixing process, and the other is to let the cheesecake cool gradually.

So be very careful when mixing the cheesecake. A little bit of care here will save you headaches later on!

Make sure your cream cheese is at room temperature, or even a little warmer - about 75° to 80°. My kitchen is usually around 66° in the winter (unless I'm cooking!), and so my "room temperature" cream cheese tends to be a little cool. Why does that matter? Because cooler cream cheese will have lumps, and you'll need to mix the batter longer to get rid of the lumps. You don't want to mix the batter longer!

In your electric mixer with regular beaters (not your whisk) and at slow speed, beat the cream cheese until it's smooth, stopping to scrape the sides of the bowl once or twice.

Add the sugar and salt and mix until well blended.

Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing and scraping the bowl. You won't need to mix for very long for each egg.

Remove your mixing bowl from your mixer, and stir in the vanilla and cream just until it's well blended.

Next, melt your chocolate and the additional 1/2 cup cream in a microwavable bowl (I use my 2 cup Pyrex measuring cup). Once the chocolate is melted (the mixture should be very warm), add 3/4 cup of your cheesecake batter and blend well.

Pour your batter into your prepared crust, then drop the chocolate batter onto the surface in five large dollops. Run a knife through the batter several times to make a swirl effect.

Bake the cheesecake in a 325° oven for 45-50 minutes. I've found that at our higher altitude (about 3500 feet), I need to bake it for 60 minutes. The cheesecake is done when the center is no longer shiny and it passes the "jiggle test."

Jiggle test: Shake the oven rack slightly. If the center of the cheesecake is done, it will remain firm. If not, it will slosh a little.

Leave the cheesecake in the oven and turn off the heat. Set the door ajar to let the heat escape slowly, and leave the cheesecake in the cooling oven for an hour or so, until it has cooled enough so that you can handle it without a hot pad.

No cracks! Perfection! I took me four tries to achieve this.
Now, do you remember that I was making this cheesecake for the Love INC banquet?

At the banquet, bakers from all over the city donate desserts for a silent auction. It's a great way for restaurants to advertise their business as well as for home bakers to do something extra to raise money for the organization.

Each year they ask ten people to bake a "Showcase Dessert," and this year I was one of them.

My picture was in the program,


and my cheesecake was displayed in a place of honor.

The paper and pen are there for people to make their silent
auction bids. There were two bids already!
But donating the cheesecake like this brought a new set of things to consider. How do I display it? How do I make it portable? How do I make it look professional?

Youtube and the Food Network came to my rescue!

First of all, these cake rounds are wonderful inventions.


I cut one to match the bottom of my springform pan and inserted it in place of the metal bottom when I baked the cheesecake. No transferring from one pan to another, and no dishes to worry about returning!

Second, my daughter's addiction to the Food Network inspired her to buy an offset spatula. I didn't think we needed one, but I was wrong. I'm going to buy my own when she moves out!

Third, I watched Youtube videos to learn how to remove the cheesecake from the pan. Remember three words: dip, wipe, repeat.


Dip the spatula into a cup of hot water (I used a quart mason jar) and wipe the spatula on a clean towel. Now you have a hot spatula to use to loosen the cheesecake from the side of the springform pan. After a few inches, wipe the cheesecake crumbs off of the spatula with a paper towel, and repeat.



Beautiful? Oh, yes!

Now for the decorating.

I had purchased an inexpensive charging plate at Hobby Lobby, along with a bit of festive greenery.

By the way, my daughter was aghast. I guess you're never supposed to decorate food with inedible items. Oh well.

But I wanted a little more, so I made a simple ganache.

Ganache

ingredients:
1 cup heavy or whipping cream
9 ounces semi-sweet chocolate

Cut the chocolate into small pieces and place in a small mixing bowl.


Next, pour the cream into a small saucepan and bring it to a boil on the stove. Stir it until it reaches the boiling point (it won't burn as easily as milk does), then pour it over the chocolate.

Stir until it's smooth, then let it cool until you can handle it easily.

I piped the ganache onto the cheesecake with a piping bag and decorator's tips.


I added my bits of inedible greenery, and voila! A cheesecake with a purpose!


The banquet was last Monday night with over eight hundred people attending. And the cool thing? The dessert auction - my dessert and many, many others - raised almost $30,000 for Love INC.

It's the season of giving! Don't you love it?

13 comments:

  1. I have a friend who teaches budgeting classes classes for Love Inc. And that cake looks delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This recipe makes a fabulous cheesecake! But after several weeks of practicing before the big day, I think I've had my fill of cheesecake for a while. :)

      It's so cool that your friend volunteers at Love INC! It's a fabulous way for someone to share their time and talents!

      Delete
  2. Who knew King Arthur had a cookbook? The things you can learn on the Internet!

    So now, not only are you a famous writer, you're a famous baker too! Great pic and the cheesecake is gorgeous. Mine would turn out looking more like cheesecake pudding, I'm sure.

    Love Inc is incredible -- from the name to the what they do. I checked the link but it doesn't look like they have any locations in Canada. We do have a church in the downtown core that has started a similar ministry for women. They rely on volunteers to supply all kind of classes/workshops -- everything from budgeting and interview skills to massage and hair cutting. Whatever services people are willing to volunteer. They also have a clothing shop that outfits women for job interviews, returning to work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I told my husband that I was thinking about buying the King Arthur cookbook, he didn't hesitate. His response? "Of course you're going to buy it!"

      And I'm not sure how famous of a baker I am - - just being part of our community.

      And your downtown church sounds like they have a program very similar to Love INC. It's amazing what people can do when they start volunteering, isn't it?

      Delete
  3. Wow Jan, I'm impressed and overwhelmed. You went to a lot of work and looks like it paid off. I'm such a slacker when it comes to baking anymore. You women who bake all the time amaze me. Way to go. smile

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure how much baking I'll do when I don't have people around to eat it any more! But on the other hand, I think my dear husband wants me to keep baking as long as possible.

      Especially pie. :)

      Delete
  4. Jan, that's an amazing amount of fundraising!! Congrats on a successful auction!

    I love your cheesecake! I haven't made one in years. I really do need to try it again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The banquet was great, and the auction was fabulous. There were also other fundraisers that evening other than the dessert auction, so the grand total was probably much higher.

      I hope you have fun making your cheesecake! It isn't difficult - you just need to follow the steps carefully. And if the top cracks, it still tastes just as good!

      Delete
  5. Oh I love everything about this post, Jan. Thanks so much for sharing about this organization and the good work they do!

    Your cheesecake made me so hungry that I had to go grab some leftover Thanksgiving pie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love organizations like this. Love INC, the Galilean Children's Home (http://www.galileanhome.org/), Heifer Project (http://www.heifer.org/),,,any organization that gives people a hand up rather than a handout. And all in the name of Christ. :)

      Delete
  6. What a wonderful organization to support, and I love the fundraiser/silent auction/featured desserts feature! Oh my stars, Jan, that's marvelous! Yay!!!!

    Thank you so much for informing us of a great cause and cheesecake, a double win in Ruthy Country.

    That crust you used is the same one we use for "Scrumptious Bars" a recipe I was given by the Life Ladies of the Walker/Morton Baptist Church.

    I just wanted to write that part, Life Ladies of the Walker/Morton Baptist Church. Their title has stuck with me since my waitressing days!

    It's like the perfect crust of all crusts, the egg and vanilla rock it. And chocolate swirl cheesecake would tempt me to that fridge again and again! Awesome!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew you'd like this recipe, Ruthy!

      And the secret to making cheesecake is to invite a lot of friends or family over to help you eat it. No leftovers!

      Delete
  7. What a wonderful organization to support, and I love the fundraiser/silent auction/featured desserts feature! Oh my stars, Jan, that's marvelous! Yay!!!!

    Thank you so much for informing us of a great cause and cheesecake, a double win in Ruthy Country.

    That crust you used is the same one we use for "Scrumptious Bars" a recipe I was given by the Life Ladies of the Walker/Morton Baptist Church.

    I just wanted to write that part, Life Ladies of the Walker/Morton Baptist Church. Their title has stuck with me since my waitressing days!

    It's like the perfect crust of all crusts, the egg and vanilla rock it. And chocolate swirl cheesecake would tempt me to that fridge again and again! Awesome!!!!

    ReplyDelete