Thursday, October 25, 2012

Pam Hillman's Getcha Good "Kashi Go Lean" Breakfast!

 I discovered something interesting several months ago.

Every body is different.

Yes, two words.

Every. Body.

Every body does not require the exact same amount of fiber, protein, fats, and carbohydrates as the next body. The percentages recommended by the Food and Nutrition Board are just that: recommendations, not fact.

Long story short. I have not been getting enough fiber for years. But I didn't know. Do you know how hard it is to get enough fiber? Well, let me tell you, it's not easy! Maybe it's the meat, bread, and potatoes lifestyle I've lived most of my life. Once I figured this out, I decided to do something about it.

After a very scientific search with the assistance of Mr. Google and my local Wal Mart, I perfected the following yummy tasting, healthy breakfast combination.



F1 Kashi GoLean Breakfast

3/4 cup of Fiber One Original Bran Cereal - 90 calories / 21g fiber
.25 cup of Kashi GoLean Honey, Almond, Flax Granola Cereal - 50 calories / 2g fiber
1/10 cup of dried cranberries - 39 calories / 1g fiber
1 TBSP slivered almonds - 43 calories / 2 g fiber
1/2 cup 2% milk - 61 calories / 0 g fiber
2 packs of truvia or sweetener of your choice if desired

Total Calories: 283; Carbohydates: 69g; Fat: 9g; Sodium: 246g; Protein: 11g; Fiber: 26g

Sure, the Kashi cereal adds 50 calories for only 2gs of fiber, but have you ever had Honey Bunches of Oats w/almonds? That's one of my favorite cereals, In comparison, 1 cup of HBOO w/Almonds and 2% milk has almost the exact same amount of calories as my F1 GoLean concoction, but HBOO has less than 3g of fiber!




Throughout the rest of the day, I make a conscious effort to add in some fiber-rich foods in my diet. Chicken salad with craisens, raisens, or an apple, and pecans or almonds for lunch. And, I try to keep a Kellogg's FiberPlus bar in my purse. Those things pack a whopping 9g of fiber for 120 calories. Sure, the apple has about 5 grams of fiber for 100 calories, but it's not the easiest thing to keep in your purse, you know.

Last tip. Don't increase your fiber drastically overnight. Gradually do it and drink lots of water. Water and fiber go together like peanut butter and jelly. Just sayin'

So, what does a typical day without exercise look like for me? This is what I posted on My Fitness Pal on August 1, 2012

Coffee w/Sweetleaf English Toffee sweetener - 0 calories / 0 fiber

F1 GoLean Breakfast - 283 calories / 26g fiber

16 ounces of water before noon

Lunch: Tuna or chicken salad on Nature's Own 3x the fiber Wheat bread - 300 calories / 7g fiber

16 ounces of water with lunch

Dinner: Green salad with grilled chicken - 400 calories / 5g fiber

16 ounces of water with dinner

Snacks: Chobani Greek Yogurt - 160 calories / 0g fiber

Kellogg's Blueberry Special K bar - 90 calories / 3g fiber

16 ounces of water throughout the afternoon/evening. MORE if I exercise.

Total 1233 calories, and 41g of fiber. Even though I'm not really tracking carbs, protein, fat and sodium, I was almost right on target with carbs, a little over on the fat (salad dressing and mayo), and had plenty of protein and my sodium was under my target.

Speaking of exercise. If I burn 400 calories exercising, then I get to splurge and eat some of those calories back. So, I'd add something like peanut butter and nutella, or a Skinny Cow Truffle bar. Or even that piece of leftover ice cream cake in the deep freeze.

Which reminds me. I already ate the ice cream cake, so I'm off to get rid of those extra calories....

Bio:

Award-winning author Pam Hillman writes inspirational fiction set in the turbulent times of the American West and the Gilded Age. Her second book,Claiming Mariah, releases January 2013 from Tyndale House Publishers. Claiming Mariah won the American Christian Fiction Writer’s Genesis contest and the Romance Writers of America’s prestigious Golden Heart contest. She lives in Mississippi with her husband and family. www.pamhillman.com


23 comments:

  1. Ok, I have no idea what this is about! Fiber, calories, fat??

    I thought we just ate what tasted good!

    In seriousness, I've been trying to eat more fiber and 'whole' foods lately. Darker greens, more legumes, varied fruits.

    I'm making this... Gotta get to my bulk foods. And we have tons of cereal containers so I should be able to mix up a big batch.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Virginia, it does taste good. And I don't worry about mixing it ahead of time. Just toss it in the bowl every morning. That is, if dh doesn't eat all the craisens first! :(

      And...I forgot to mention, but I took a ziploc bag of this to the ACFW conference in Dallas.

      I left out the craisens, and melted a small amount of white chocolate, stirred it all together and let it cool into clumps. YUMMY!

      Even the TSA guy said he was going to make some of my "Trail Mix"! lol

      Delete
  2. Pam, that's an amazing amount of fiber in one meal!! Very impressive. I DO know how hard it is to get in enough fiber.

    Thanks for sharing!! I need to get back on Fitness Pal and start recording again. I'll see you there!

    BTW, what is that flavored sweetner you use?? Where do you get it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does sound impressive, but that's the one meal (using F1) where I can actually get the bulk (pun intended) of my fiber for the day.

      I buy the truvia (packets) at Wal Mart. I buy the Sweetleaf English Toffee (liquid) off of Amazon. They're both stevia based. I've tried other Sweetleaf flavors (orange, chocolate, etc.) Not for me, but I love the English Toffee. Once I started using it, I trained my taste buds to do without all that coffee creamer every morning!

      I've slacked off on Fitness Pal, but now that my edits are done, I'm going to get back in the groove. See you there, Missy!

      Delete
    2. I"ll look for the Sweetleaf English Toffee, Pam. I saw some Sweetleaf tea products today (flavored bottled drinks) but didn't even realize they're probably the same company.

      Thanks for the info!

      Delete
  3. You've inspired me, Pam.

    I've let my healthy eating lapse with our new fall schedule: 6 adults, 5 jobs, 2 in school - 1 days, 1 evenings - plus evening activities...we're living in crazyville.

    But this is why I have a crock pot, right?

    I'm taking your cereal recipe to the grocery store tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For some unknown reason, my two local grocers don't carry F1 or Kashi GoLean, so I stock up when I go to WM.

      With a 5 day marathon of edits (emailed them back this MORNING!! Whoop!), I asked my son to run by WM for me earlier in the week.

      I wonder what the clerks thought about my very handsome, buff 19 yo buying F1, Kashi GoLean and craisens! He's a gem, and he's not taken...

      Delete
    2. Oh, yes, crockpot! I did fairly well planning the marathon edit:

      Monday night: chicken breasts and baked beans went in the oven where they took care of themselves. Doused the chicken with BBQ sauce about half way through.

      Tuesday lunch: leftovers for me. :)

      Tuesday night: DH ate leftovers and I whipped up some pancakes for the cute kid and me.

      Early Wednesday morning I tossed a roast in the crock pot, then took an hour-long break mid-day and added potatoes, carrots and onions, cleaned the kitchen and washed a load of clothes.

      My eyes were crossing by that time, so the break was a blessing.

      Delete
    3. I turned in my edits yesterday afternoon!

      And yes, my eyes were crossing.

      I don't know what I'd do without my crock pot. I think we'd eat grilled cheese or scrambled eggs every night!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. It's a really short hop from Seekerville to Crazyville.

      Just sayin'

      Delete
  5. since eating fairly healthy I haven't had a problem with fiber - heck all the point friendly stuff they add fiber too- even the darned yogurt! you could always borrow some of Simba's pumpkin! :-) and trust me on this - do not ever eat more than one Fiber One bar - 2 is pushing it- trust me on this...it's called fiber ONE for a reason...
    Susanna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susanna, very happy you can get by with ONE fiber bar. That's what, 5g of fiber?

      Personally, I shoot for 35-50 a day. lol

      Delete
    2. Oh, and the Kellogg's FiberPlus Antioxidants Chewy Bar ahs 9gs of fiber and 120 calories.

      Susanna, you might want to stay away from that one!

      Delete
    3. heck no - I eat a LOT more fiber but a friend and I had a box of fiber one bars we munched on throughout the day and suffered big-time..happened 2x that year and I'm scared of those things! as for fiber I have fruit with almost every meal, use mission carb balance tortillas, have beans maybe 1-2x a week,a nd add veggies..so I get a LOT of fiber throughout the day - maybe it's the type of fiber in those bars..others havent' bothered me. I have no idea how many g of fiber I get though but I look for stuff with fiber since it's weight watchers friendlier!
      susanna

      Delete
  6. Guess what book I just bought at the grocery store???!!!

    Hint: It has a beautiful Christmas cover!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought for sure you'd just bought some F1 and Kashi GoLean Cereal! lol

      Delete
    2. I should have, Pam! But I'm so stocked up on cereal right now from a buy one-get one free sale, that hubby would have a cow if I bought more cereal before it's gone! LOL

      Delete
  7. I eat Kashi 7 Whole Grain cereal for breakfast every morning--topped off with two tablespoons of chopped pecans, 1 teaspoon of ground flaxseed, and a big handful of fresh blueberries. Having reached the age where colonoscopies come more often than I like (more than once in a lifetime is too often!) I have learned the importance of fiber-fiber-fiber!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Myra, we weren't going to actually say the C word! :)

      Delete
  8. LOL, Myra!

    I love a couple of varieties of Kashi. But right now I'm on a Special K Red Berry kick. I love it with Almond Coconut Milk. Very tropical!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haven't been home too long, and guess what I found on the kitchen counter?????

    An empty milk jug!

    Tomorrow is going to be a bad day....sigh

    ReplyDelete