Thursday, October 18, 2012

Kav's Pumpkin Snickerdoodles!



Pumpkin Snickerdoodles

by Kav

We can all thank Simba for this recipe. Isn’t he adorable? Such a manly man with a tender heart…unless you’re a squirrel or a bunny or a cat or…Anyhow, the poor dear is going to be a tad put out when I reveal his little secret…Ahem, he has a delicate digestive system. If you’re a dog owner you know what that means! If you’re not a dog owner you can probably imagine what it means, but why you would want to, I don’t know. Besides, it’s not really the proper thing to talk about in this classy café. The only reason I bring it up at all is that Simba’s ‘condition’ is responsible for my delving into a variety of pumpkin recipes.

Amazing Dog Tip :  You all know that Mary Poppins song – A Spoonful of Sugar…well, the canine version is A Spoonful of Pumpkin. Seriously, a glop in the morning kibble and another glop in the evening kibble makes Simba…ah, how shall I say this politely? Perfect in every way. :)

The thing is, canned pumpkin doesn’t have a long shelf life. I fill two ice cube trays and have some ‘fresh’ on hand for a couple of days but after that it starts to grow fur – and not the soft, Simba kind. So every couple of weeks I try out a new pumpkin recipe. You would not believe the number of bread, cake and cookie recipes that involve pumpkin! And this one – Pumpkin Snickerdoodles – is my favourite so far and not just because it’s so much fun to say snickerdoodle.

Pumpkin Snickerdoodles
3 ¾ cup flour
1 ½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp ground cinnamon
¼ tsp nutmeg
2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
1 cup sugar
½ dark brown sugar
1 cup pumpkin puree
1 large egg
2 tsp vanilla extract

For the coating:
½ cup sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp ground ginger
Dash of allspice

Combine dry ingredients. In a large bowl, beat together sugars and butter. Add pumpkin, egg and vanilla. Then add dry ingredients. Don’t over mix. The batter is kind of goopy and I’ve found it’s easier to use a good ol’ wooden spoon instead of a mixer. Cover the dough and refrigerate until firm (about an hour.)

Preheat oven 350



Line baking sheets with parchment paper. In small bowl mix the coating ingredients. Scoop up about 2 tbsp of dough, roll into ball and then into the sugar/spice mixture. Place on baking sheet about 2 inches apart. Press down with fork to flatten.



Bake 10 minutes – cookies remain pale so don’t overcook. Delicious with tea or hot chocolate.



18 comments:

  1. YYYUUUUMMMM! Kav, I'm so excited about this recipe. I showed it to my daughter, who loves snickerdoodles, and we plan to make asap. Thanks for sharing!

    I just love Simba. He's precious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Argh -- the one day I didn't have a lot of computer access is the day y'all decided to post my recipe. LOL. Sorry for my absence. Such a bad hostess.

      Delete
    2. So sorry we didn't get it up on a good day for you, Kav! But don't worry about not being here yesterday. We're just thrilled you shared the recipe!

      Delete
  2. Oh, hahahahaha! I still don't know what's going on with Simba's tummy. But hey, doggy potty issues that segue into delicious cookies is totally fine in this cafe! We're all friends!

    Trying this tomorrow!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figured you as a mother of many would understand the importance of such a delicate issue. :-) And guess who is about to start on your book?????

      Delete
  3. P.S. I'm not a dog person, but Simba makes me want to be a dog person. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL, Virginia. I agree. We can easily segue from potty to snickerdoodle. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is one beautiful dog, Kav!

    And yes, I know exactly what you mean about Simba's condition. So glad pumpkin makes a positive difference in both your lives :)

    My family will love these cookies - except I know my pumpkin-pie loving son will complain that I wasted pumpkin on cookies. But with more than a dozen cans of pumpkin in the pantry, I think we can spare one for this treat...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Simba thanks you Jan, but you have inflated his ego so I'm not going to thank you. :-)

      Delete
  6. Yum! I love anything pumpkin, so I'm all over this one. And Simba is such a cutie. Give him a big hug for me, Kav.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hugged and knucklheaded in your name, Mindy!

      Delete
  7. Hi Kav,

    I love the dog and the recipe. Hope you're going to check in because I've been wanting to add a huge ME TOO! to your comment on Seekerville about not killing off the dog. I read the same book and I wanted to throw it across the room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a day late, Mary -- didn't know this would be posted yesterday and I was away from the computer most of the day. I know --- I put the book aside and didn't know if I would finish it! Argh!

      Delete
  8. I just stocked up on pumpkin today, planning to make a recipe for tomorrow. But alas, I don't think I have the energy to do it. I'll have to use my back up post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. simba's a cutie! (I'M a dog person though cats are on an individual basis!) love snickerdoodles too but not too fond of baking - too much work! wish ya'll lived closer so I could come over and mooch some off of ya'll!
    Susanna

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's okay Susanna -- cyber cookies have zero calories. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. These look amazing and I'm trying to NOT go and make some right now.

    Kav, I know some people who give their dog pumpkin every day, also. Maybe we should be eating it every day, too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, give in to the temptation, Debra. They are divine and I'm sure recipes that you get online don't have as many calories as in a book. :-) Hmmmm...so you're saying a teaspoonful of pumpkin a day keeps the doctor away?

    ReplyDelete