Tuesday, May 7, 2019

Sunday Afternoon Tea

You know, sometimes life gets crazy. That's when it's extra special to take a timeout with a friend or two and do something fun and relaxing. And if it happens to involve food, it's even better.

My friend, Debbie, and I met for afternoon tea this weekend at one of the bed-and-breakfasts in our little town. By the way, did you know that there is a difference between afternoon tea and high tea? Afternoon tea is what most of us think of. It typically has three courses made up of tea sandwiches and petite savories, scones with clotted cream and jam, and then rounded out with bite-sized desserts. High tea, on the other hand, is served later and is more of a full-size meal served with tea. One website referred to it as a working class family's evening supper. So there you have it. When it comes to tea-time, you are in the know. 
One of the things that always makes afternoon tea feel extra special is the pretty plates and cups. I don't know about you, but I'm a sucker for chintzware.

But the food is the star of the show. 
The savories...
The scones, one savory, one sweet. Here we have a Pimento Cheese scone and a Cookies and Cream scone. The Pimento Cheese one was amazing.
Finally, it's onto the sweets.
And lest we forget the teas. One fun thing about going to tea is getting to sample a couple different varieties. On this day we had Cream Earl Gray which is a pleasant, more delicate version of traditional Earl Gray, and Chocolate Mint Rooibos. That one didn't do much for me, so I stuck with the first tea.

Of course, the best thing of all is sharing that time with friends, catching up on all the things that have gone on in our busy lives. That right there is worth the price of admission.

What would be your favorite part of afternoon tea? The food, getting together with friends or all of the above?




Three time Carol Award finalist Mindy Obenhaus lives on a ranch in Texas with her husband, the youngest of her five children and two dogs. She passionate about touching readers with Biblical truths in an entertaining, and sometimes adventurous, manner. When she's not writing, she enjoys cooking and spending time with her grandchildren. Learn more a mindyobenhaus.com.


15 comments:

  1. Oooh! Afternoon tea! What fun!

    The food looks delicious, but I was captivated by those chintz plates. So lovely!

    And now I'm hungry for scones...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, I'm afraid that both chitz plates and scones could easily become an addiction for me. The good news is that scones freeze well, so whenever I do make them, I keep them in the freezer so I don't eat them all in a day.

      Delete
  2. Eeeep -- I'm going to an afternoon tea this month! A group of us our going to this heritage estate for tea in the garden -- ladeda. We're just waiting until we're guaranteed no snow. Bwahahaha! I love the fancy china too. So elegant. When my daughter was little I used to take out my mum's Beleek china and we'd have crossiants and jam and fancy cupcakes for Sunday tea. Such sweet memories. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to go look up Beleek china...awesome! So lovely! *sigh* And definitely Irish!

      Delete
    2. Kav, you are going to have so much fun. And it's in an estate garden, no less. Now that's fancy.

      Like Jan, I had to look up Beleek china. Definitely has an Irish flare to it. Just lovely.

      Delete
  3. What fun!!! And I learned about high and afternoon teas! Plus, I learned the word chintzware! I'd never heard it before. Which is funny, because it's exactly the type china I love! :)

    I'm glad you had a nice outing, Mindy. It inspires me to look for a tea house locally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Missy, you should definitely find a tea spot. Ours is a B&B that does tea about once a month. And it's always a special treat.

      Delete
    2. Just found one and made a reservation!

      Delete
  4. You must have read my mind! I was unpacking my set of fine China yesterday and it made me tjith about how fun a tea date would be! I also thought about the other posts about tea on yankeebelle! Maybe I'll find a tea house here and convince Mister railroad man to go!! The food might be just enough to convince him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is too funny, Katie. This post was obviously meant to be. And I've seen guys accompany their wives. I remember the owner telling me about one gal who always brought her husband, but asked for a more private table to he wouldn't be so uncomfortable. Still, I thought it was sweet that he would go with her.

      Delete
  5. I did know that about high tea from our time in Ireland. I'm a fan of both kinds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo… Tea in Ireland. I like that concept, Mary Cate.

      Delete
  6. I want tea in Ireland or anywhere... and pretty china??? Oh be still my heart! I am so happy when there are pretty things around, probably because farm life has its share of less-pretty things... :) And in the season of mud, this tea looks so absolutely marvelous.

    Mindy, thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruthy, it's fun to do something out of the ordinary. And all the frilly touches of afternoon tea just make a gal feel kinda special.

      Delete