Friday, May 24, 2019

Leftover Lunchmeat? Try This!

Missy Tippens

Since I shared college graduation photos last week, and planned to repeat an older post this week, I thought this one would be fun to share from 2015--written right after my daughter graduated from high school!



Missy, here. We had my daughter's graduation last week and a house full of family here to celebrate with us. What fun!! But when everyone left and all the dust cleared, I had a ton of thin sliced ham and turkey left over.

What to do?? My friend Lindi suggested making something like chipped beef and gravy. Voila! Great idea!




Melt 3 TBS of butter in the skillet.



Add 3 TBS flour. You can adjust the amount, just keep them equal. Stir and let bubble for a few minutes to "cook off" the flour taste. Let it brown if you want a brown gravy.


Yes, that's a Christmas spatula in May. LOL

Add the milk. I always eyeball this. Don't get too much, or it won't thicken enough. Season with salt and pepper.




While it simmered, I chopped the ham and turkey.



Add to the gravy until heated through.



Serve over biscuits or toast. YUM! Notice the paper plate? Yes, I'm all about practicality when I have 12 people here for the weekend! :)

Did any of you grow up eating chipped beef and gravy?

10 comments:

  1. Missy, what a great idea! I'm not a big cream gravy person, but I remember chipped beef (from those dried beef packs!) and now we use that beef to make dip for rye boats... Dave's never been big on creamed gravies, either, so this one hasn't been a regular but he loves hamburger strogonoff with the sour cream gravy, so there's no predicting! And we hate to waste food. Great solution!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruthy, I love stroganoff! Maybe that sour cream makes a big enough difference for Dave.

      Delete
  2. Missy, my dad always used to do ground beef in cream gravy over toast and I loved it. That is some serious comfort food for me, though I hadn't thought about it until I saw this. I might need to make that soon. It's definitely a quick meal idea. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mindy, my dad always made sausage gravy. That's comfort food for me. This is a little healthier than that, I guess. :) But not much!

      Delete
  3. Missy, I have never seen it prepared from scratch before. My Dad really like Chipped Beef and Gravy. He usually bought a prepared package which was heated up in a pan of water.

    I love cream gravy instead of brown gravy so I will have to try this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've actually used frozen sausage gravy before (Jimmy Dean, I think), and it was really good! But this is really easy.

      Delete
  4. Yes, I grew up on chipped beef and gravy! It was one of my favorite meals. (And the only time we ever had biscuits - northern living!)

    This was a great way to use up the leftovers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, that's so interesting that you didn't have biscuits very often! I grew up having biscuits in KY, but they were always what my dad called "whom 'em" biscuits (whomped on the counter to pop the tube open). :) It wasn't until I moved to Georgia that I started having homemade biscuits--hubby's grandmother and church ladies.

      Delete
  5. ok, ya'll, i'm a huge fan of biscuits and gravy (made with sausage) and LOVED the chipped beef and gravy served on bread or toast. love this idea and will use it in the near future!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robin, I used to make sausage gravy and eat it on toast if I didn't have any biscuits available. :)

      Delete