Monday, May 13, 2019

Black Bean and Corn Quesadillas Recipe Reminder

Jan here, with another Recipe Reminder!

What is it about some of my favorite dishes? I make them for a few times, then I stop for some reason. Maybe I'm out of one ingredient. Or maybe some shiny new dish comes into sight!

Anyway, like Missy last Friday, I went browsing for another recipe I had forgotten, and found this one from 2015. This easy dish is so good! I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

* * * *
Black Bean and Corn Quesadillas

Today's recipe is an easy-peasy-lemon-squeezy do-ahead lunch. It has a lot of protein from the black beans and cheese, so it will keep you going all afternoon.

Okay, here we go:

Black Bean and Corn Quesadillas

ingredients:


2 Tablespoons oil, divided (I use coconut oil)
1/2 cup frozen corn
2 cloves garlic, pressed
1 Tablespoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon each (optional - mix and match): cumin, cilantro (fresh or dried)
a dash of cayenne pepper
1 can (about 16 oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
1-2 Tablespoons lime juice
Shredded cheese (cheddar, fiesta blend, Monterrey Jack - your choice
Fajita size (6 inch) flour tortillas

Heat 1 Tablespoon oil in a large skillet for a minute or so, then add the 1/2 cup frozen corn. Cook, stirring often, for about 3 minutes, or until the corn is popping and browning.


Remove the corn from the skillet and set aside.

Pour the second Tablespoon of oil into the skillet, and add the onion, garlic, chili powder and other spices. Saute until the onion is soft - about 2 minutes.

Stir in the rinsed and drained beans and heat through, mashing the beans slightly as you heat them up.

Return the corn to the skillet and toss to combine.

Transfer the mixture to a bowl, stir in the lime juice and salt to taste (I usually don't add any salt).



Now you can refrigerate the mixture in a covered bowl, or use some immediately. 

When you want to make your quesadillas, lay one tortilla in your pan over medium heat (you can use the same pan you used before - if you're making your quesadillas immediately, just wipe out the pan with a paper towel).

On the bottom tortilla, spread about 1/6 of the bean mixture. Sprinkle with cheese, then top with a second tortilla.


Heat thoroughly, until the bottom tortilla is a bit crisp, but not browned, then flip (carefully) the quesadilla over and brown the other side. 



Cut the quesadilla into wedges and enjoy!

One thing I love about this recipe is that I can make all six quesadillas at once on the griddle for a family dinner, or I can make one at a time for my own lunch.

You can also substitute shredded chicken for the beans if you'd rather make chicken quesadillas. I think I'd add a can of green chilies, too.

There's no limit to the combinations you can try.



Do you like "make ahead" lunches? For me, it saves a lot of time and thinking at lunch time when I have a deadline looming!

* * * * * 

Back to 2019 - and some sad news. 

If you've been around the Cafe for a while, you've gotten to know my BFF, Thatcher.


With a heavy heart, I must tell you that my little guy is no longer with us. We had to make the hardest decision last week, but his painful days and nights are ended now. I never thought I'd miss this furry tornado so much. He was a wonderful dog.







7 comments:

  1. Well I cried when you told me last week what was happening, and I cried again today and I'm not even a particularly nice person... I have flunked sensitivity tests!!!

    I'm not even kidding, I'm a total rogue but when it comes to other people's sadness, I get weepy.

    I love you, Jan. And I'm so sorry about Thatcher... he is missed here as well. Remember how hard it was to get a decent picture of him or Jeter for the longest time? Because puppies never stop moving!!!!

    Bless you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ruthy! I still miss my buddy. Heart sore and weepy. Things are getting better, though. Time does it's healing work, but he'll be a dog I'll always remember.

      Delete
    2. And tonight we had to do the same with our beautiful Mick. He had a great life. A good life from beginning to end... But my heart broke when Mandy and Paul called me to come say goodbye....

      We can weep together.... but find joy in God's morning.

      Delete
  2. Thatcher was just the BEST.
    We feel your pain. So very sorry to read this and for your loss...

    He and Cass and Jan and May and Wynter and all the other blessed furbabies are running free together.

    May your heart heal soon. They do leave their pawprints there don't they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so sorry to hear about your Jan, too. And so soon after you lost Cass. Such a sad time.

      But even though we suffer when our fur-friends are gone, we still find a place in our hearts for another, don't we? It will be a few months before we get another dog, but we will take that step...knowing that we will suffer another loss in the future.

      But the unconditional love and fuzz-therapy is worth it. :-)

      Delete
  3. Jan, so sorry to hear about your puppy lovey :'( They truly are a part of the family, and it's always so hard to let them go. {{{{{HUGZ}}}}}

    ReplyDelete