Monday, May 20, 2019

Avocado-Feta Salsa Recipe Reminder

Jan here, with another Recipe Rerun ...err...Reminder...

I've been traveling - our semi-annual trip to Michigan and Indiana to visit family - and that means no cooking at all!

But we did stop by Jacob and Katie's (our son and daughter-in-law's) new home in Illinois on the way back! Visiting family is a great reason to love traveling!

Anyway, I wanted to make this recipe this week, so I dug it out of the old posts. I get so hungry just looking at those pictures!

* * * * *

Avocado-Feta Salsa

Yes, you read that right - Avocado and Feta together in a salsa.

It's fabulous!

Start here:

Avocado, tomato, red onion and cilantro. Chop it all up.



And then add a bit of this:


Throw in some garlic and a bit of oregano, and then mix it all together with a splash of olive oil and some apple cider vinegar (or red wine vinegar - whatever you have handy).

And here's the hard part.

Refrigerate for 2 to 6 hours.

*tap, tap, tap*

And then it's good to go! You can eat it with tortilla chips, pita chips, or.....


Twice-baked Zucchini Rounds! 

Take one of those big zucchinis - you know, the ones that were hiding in your garden until they're gargantuan size and you don't know what to do with them - and slice a few 1/4" thick rounds.

Cover both sides with olive oil, and bake on a cookie sheet for 5 minutes or so at 375°. Then take them out of the oven and top them with your favorite combo. I used the Avocado-Feta Salsa. Stick them back in the oven and broil them for a few minutes, or until the cheese starts melting.

Delicious!

I had a few of these for lunch with my Salmon with Garlicky Spinach (recipe here). It was a low-carb extravaganza!


And last week I put the salsa on my hamburger - now that was delicious!


Okay, I know I need to give you the official recipe:

Avocado-Feta Salsa
(originally from AllRecipes.com)

Ingredients:
1 plum tomato, chopped
1 ripe avocado, peeled, pitted and chopped
2 Tablespoons finely chopped red onion
1 clove garlic, minced (or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder)
1 teaspoon oregano
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 Tablespoon vinegar (apple cider vinegar, or red wine vinegar)
2 Tablespoons crumble feta cheese

Mix together gently. Cover and chill for 2 to 6 hours.


* * * * *

This is another quick and easy lunch! Just right for me since I'm trying to squeeze eating in between writing and packing up the house for our big move! Stay tuned for the details!






Jan Drexler spent her childhood dreaming of living in the Wild West and is now thrilled to call the Black Hills of South Dakota her home. When she isn’t writing she spends much of her time satisfying her cross-stitch addiction or hiking and enjoying the Black Hills with her husband of more than thirty-six years.



8 comments:

  1. Jan, I hope you've had a wonderful trip. How marvelous to see family and friends and to stop by the kids' new place: BONUS!!!! Doesn't it just remind you of how big and varied this land is??? So many of us, all different, and each place a place of its own...

    And what a fun, quick recipe. Always a good reminder!

    Thank you for this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right about the country being big! We drove thousands of miles, and didn't come close to leaving the Midwest! And the variety of weather, terrain, and people is amazingly wonderful. :-)

      Delete
  2. Nothing like a car trip right before a move. lol You live an exciting life, Jan! I don't use feta cheese much...just in one salad recipe, and it's been a long while since I made that. Must give this a try -- thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The last couple months have been crazy! I'm already waiting for the summer to be over, with this move behind us. But things keep progressing.

      Some day, I'll be able to put writing back in my life full time, rather than snatches here and there. *sigh*

      But first, we need to restock the fridge after 10 days away. The ingredients for this recipe are going on the list!

      Delete
  3. Jan, this looks so good! And your tomatoes are gorgeous! I'm so tired of "pink" grocery store tomatoes. I need to find a farmer's market around here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These tomatoes are actually from a couple summers ago, but I hope to find good ones at the store this week!

      Delete