Tuesday, April 2, 2019

Revisiting Shrimp and Grits

Shrimp and Grits is one of my all-time favorite dishes. And this particular version has pared down the fat, while maintaining all of the flavor. So what I can't quite figure out is why I haven't talked about it in a while. 

Let's start first with the grits. 

For them, you will need:
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1 cup uncooked quick-cooking grits
  • 4 cups water
  • 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1/2 tsp. freshly ground pepper
Bring salt and water to a boil in a medium sauce pan. Gradually whisk in grits. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, 8 minutes, or until thickened. There's no need to cover, however be prepared for lots of bubble splatters as it thickens. 
Whisk in Parmesan and pepper. Set grits aside and keep warm.

Next, to prepare the shrimp, you will need:
  • 1 lb. unpeeled, medium-size raw shrimp (I had large on hand, so that's what I used :-)
  • 1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper
  • 1/8 tsp. salt
  • Vegetable cooking spray
Peel shrimp; devein, if desired. Sprinkle shrimp with pepper and 1/8 tsp. salt. Cook in a large non-skillet (I used my cast-iron one) coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat 1 to 2 minutes on each side or just until shrimp turn pink. 
Remove from skillet.

Now it's time for the sauce, so gather your ingredients:
  • 1 Tbsp. olive oil
  • 1 Tbsp. flour
  • 1 1/4 cups chicken broth
  • 1/2 cup chopped green onions
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 tsp. Tabasco sauce
  • 2 cups firmly packed fresh baby spinach
Using the same skillet, heat oil 30 seconds over medium heat. Whisk in flour; cook 30 seconds to one minute. Whisk in broth and next 5 ingredients. Cook 2-3 minutes or until thickened. Note: Sauce won't be real thick. More like a thick soup. But this sauce smells so yummy.

Stir in shrimp and spinach.
And cook until spinach is slightly wilted.
Serve immediately over grits.
I serve mine in a casserole dish, family-style, but you can serve in individual portions just as easily. This dish doesn't take me more than 30 minutes to make, providing I have all of my ingredients within easy reach, which makes for a quick meal. And quick is always a good thing.

What are some of your favorite quick dishes?


Three time Carol Award finalist Mindy Obenhaus lives on a ranch in Texas with her husband, the youngest of her five children and two dogs. She passionate about touching readers with Biblical truths in an entertaining, and sometimes adventurous, manner. When she's not writing, she enjoys cooking and spending time with her grandchildren. Learn more a mindyobenhaus.com

4 comments:

  1. This looks so delicious, Mindy! I'll have to get the ingredients for a day when hubby isn't home. He won't mind if I keep it all to myself!

    I have favorite quick recipes, but then I forget about them. I was browsing through past YankeeBelle posts this morning, searching for a particular recipe, and I found tons that I have shared three or four years ago, but then forgot about.

    Just go to the sidebar and click on "quick" anything to find some of them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, we must like to torture ourselves, because I do the same thing. I post quick things and then forget about them. (palm to the forehead) What is wrong with us?

      Delete
  2. Ah, shrimp, Yum. This looks so good, Mindy.

    ReplyDelete