Monday, April 22, 2019

Pottery Painting Fun

I've found a new favorite thing to do!



A couple weeks ago, daughter-in-law Katie invited daughter Carrie and I to paint pottery with her at one of her favorite local spots, Prouty Pottery. Follow the link to check out this great place! (And if Rapid City is too far away for you, check to see if there is a pottery studio near you.)

I had painted pottery once - years and years ago - and didn't remember it being as much fun as this was.

Maybe it was the company? Probably!



Each of chose our pottery piece. As you can see in the picture above, Katie chose a shallow dish/serving platter. She's planning to use it for salads, but I think it would be great for pasta, too.

Carrie chose a yarn bowl, and I was glad they had two. I had been wanting one! (In case you're wondering, a yarn bowl is where you put your ball of yarn when you're knitting or crocheting. You thread the yarn through one of the holes, and knit away!)

Katie brought our finished pieces to our Easter dinner yesterday, and we were amazed at how well they turned out!

Here's Katie's bowl before the glaze was fired:


And here's the after:


Isn't that gorgeous???

Carrie chose a special glaze for the interior of her yarn bowl...


It looks like confetti birthday cake, doesn't it? But the confetti crystals explode when they're fired, and the result is beautiful.


I also chose a special glaze for my interior and the dribbles down the sides, but not an exploding one.


Brown before firing...


...then during firing the blue comes out, with the brown and teal as shadowed undertones. You can see the unique openings in the yarn bowl design here.

It was a bittersweet afternoon, though. Katie has one more week in Rapid City before she loads up the last of her stuff and joins our son in Illinois. He started the training for his new job a few weeks ago, and when you've only been married for two years, a four-week separation seems like forever. Who am I kidding? A four-week separation seems like forever no matter how long you've been married.

We will certainly miss having them so close! But they are ready for their new adventure together. And I know Katie will continue to keep in touch here at the Cafe!


Do you like doing things like pottery painting with your family and friends? We know Missy loves her cooking classes! What is your favorite?




Jan Drexler spent her childhood dreaming of living in the Wild West and is now thrilled to call the Black Hills of South Dakota her home. When she isn’t writing she spends much of her time satisfying her cross-stitch addiction or hiking and enjoying the Black Hills with her husband of more than thirty-six years. Her writing partner is her corgi, Thatcher, who makes life…interesting.


11 comments:

  1. I love it, Jan. I used to do ceramics as a kid and always loved the different paint techniques, how they'd look so different after they were fired. Now you've made me want to do it again. I will have to see if there are any pottery places in our area. Thanks for bringing back fond memories.

    I'm sure Katie is eager to rejoin her husband, but I know you will miss them both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We will miss them, but we know they need to go where God calls them. :-)

      Delete
  2. Oh, these are wonderful, Jan. It's amazing how different they look after they are fired.

    There's a pottery place up the street from us, and I'm always amazed at how busy it is - and not just with kids (though it looks like a kids place). I saw a bridal shower in there one day.

    I've done those adult painting classes with a group of friends and that was a lot of fun.

    Sending traveling/moving mercies to Katie. I'm sure you'll be happy to be reunited, but I'm sad for Jan for losing your close companionship.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was a birthday party while we were at the pottery place. The kids were having so much fun! I thought it was a great idea.

      Delete
  3. Wow -- you really have a keen artistic eye to be able to tell what the colours will look like once they've been fired up! Amazing! Love the knitting ball bowls! How cool is that?!

    We have a place like that in my neighbourhood -- Gotta Paint. Haven't been there in ages but you've sparked my interest again. We used to do birthday parties and pre Christmas parties there. Haven't had the same success as you've had though. Mind you, I was trying to actually paint scenes on platters and I'm not artist. May daughter did much better. Love that speckled effect. I think I'd try something like that next time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Confession time - we didn't have to guess what the colors would be once the pottery was fired. Each bin of paint bottles had a painted and fired square attached to it so you could see how it would turn out. I wouldn't have dared to guess!

      I also wouldn't dare to try painting a scene! My wide stripes were perfect for my degree of painting talent. :-)

      Delete
  4. Oh, how fun!! I did this years ago with the kids and had so much fun. I should do it again sometime.

    I love your bowls! I just love the colors. I especially like Carrie's speckled interior. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought Carrie made a great choice with her colors and the speckles. Even though we both chose yarn bowls, they came out so different!

      Delete
  5. This is such a big move for Katie.... Oh. And the boy, too! :)

    What a wonderful daughter-in-law she is, and I love the bowls you guys made. So clever and lovely. Beautiful additions, Jan.

    And I'm glad you guys made the most of this beautiful Easter weekend, weather notwithstanding. The tomb is empty!

    Happy dancing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Ruthy it is a big move for all my boys! When we started this process we were not moving that far, but we also said he would get the job if the good Lord wanted him there. So we followed his que.

      Delete
  6. Ah! You snuck in a photo! Thank you all for the well wishes! For the most part it has been ok. So sad leaving the black hills, but just makes it all the more special when we are here. Praise God for parents! Mom is here visiting and she will leave in time for dad to come help move with his truck and trailer. I feel like I have more packing to do then I actually have. Just a matter of doing it! Mentally I am ready to be with Jacob, but I am not ready to leave our friends and church. Did you know Galesburg IL only has ONE place to hike!!? Jacob is waiting on the outskirts of Saint Louis MO tonight waiting for his call to go to his train. He is learning so much and could not be more proud for him to spreading his wings! This was a good time!

    ReplyDelete