Monday, April 1, 2019

Everything-But-the-Kitchen-Sink Cookies

Happy April!

Jan here, celebrating spring with another look at these single-serve low-carb cookies.

The first time I shared this post, almost two years ago, I had just discovered these cookies. Since that time, I've played with the recipe until I've developed my favorite low-carb Sunday afternoon go-to snack.


New and Improved!


Everything-But-the-Kitchen-Sink Single Serve Cookies


Normal recipe (scroll down for the low-carb version):

ingredients:

1 egg
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 Tablespoon peanut butter
3 Tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
pinch salt
pinch baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder

And now is where it gets fun - choose 3 - 4 Tablespoons of your favorite mix-ins:

mini chocolate chips
flaked coconut
oatmeal
hulled hemp seeds
chopped nuts
raisins or dried cranberries
etc. - use your imagination!


Low-Carb recipe (basically the same as the normal recipe, but with low-carb ingredients):
By the way, this version is also gluten-free.

ingredients:

1 egg
1/4 cup Trim Healthy Mama baking blend or substitute (check Pinterest for recipes)
1 Tablespoon unsweetened peanut butter
2 teaspoons Trim Healthy Mama Super Sweet, or 3 envelopes Truvia
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
pinch salt
pinch baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder

3 - 4 Tablespoons mix-ins - if using chocolate chips, choose a stevia-sweetened brand like Lily's. If using coconut flakes, choose a kind that's unsweetened.




For our cookies, I added chocolate chips and coconut flakes. I should have added more! 

Mix all the ingredients together in a small bowl, then transfer the batter to a baking sheet.



Bake at 350° for 13-15 minutes.



The normal ingredient cookie on the right was soft and cake-like. After trying this cookie, my husband said that I should have added oatmeal. :)

The low-carb version on the left was delicious. Not as light as the normal version, but still yummy. 

I'll keep experimenting as we go, but I'm encouraged by the results so far. Who says being empty-nesters has to be boring?

* * * * * * 

Fast forward to 2019:

As I've continued experimenting, I've settled on a combination of add-ins that both of us love: coconut flakes, rolled oats, and chocolate chips. Hubby also loves chopped walnuts. The picture at the beginning of the post is of the latest version. Yum!

In other news, spring is finally beginning to make an appearance in the Black Hills!


Tulips are just beginning, although the other flowers are lagging behind. But our mornings are filled with bird song! 

Don't worry about the snow flakes in the air...Spring is on its way!

Another thing that happens in the spring is puppy birthday time! Our Thatcher and Ruthy's Jeter were born on the same day - Happy 6 year old birthday to Jeter from Thatcher!


How is spring treating your part of the world?







Jan Drexler loves her family, her home, cooking and just about anything made by hand. But she loves her Lord most of all.

Stop by Jan's website to learn more about her books: www.JanDrexler.com




6 comments:

  1. Jan, our weather actually turned cool again, much to my delight. Of course, this is Texas, so we know it won't last long. Still, it provided me with an opportunity to indulge in some my favorite soups again.

    When I saw low-carb, I was hoping this was going to be a THM friendly cookie. But, alas, I will have to stick with the bars and cookies that have been helping me stay on plan in recent weeks. Sometimes it's a struggle, you know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a THM friendly recipe, Mindy! The low-carb version is an S recipe. I included the regular recipe for folks like my dear husband. :-)

      And I know your cool weather won't last. But soon you'll be enjoying the summer salads!

      Delete
    2. Silly me, somehow I skipped from the low-carb recipe and just thought you were referring to the first one. Must have been the disappointment that had me sailing by. But now I'm stoked.

      Delete
    3. And I forgot to say that using the rolled oats as an add-in, it makes the cookie a Cross-Over for THM. For an S, stick to the low-carb add-ins like coconut flakes and chocolate chips with stevia.

      Delete
  2. Happy birthday Jeter and Thatcher! I wish I could eat a cookie to celebrate. I need to take some time to make them!

    Thanks for sharing, Jan! These look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thatcher says thank you!

      And these are amazing cookies. You can mix it up in less than the time it takes to preheat the oven, and only 13 minutes later you're ready to eat. :-)

      Delete