Tuesday, March 5, 2019

Top Five Foodie Reasons to Love Winter

Freezing temperatures have returned to the coastal plains of Texas. A rather strange twist, considering I just saw my first bluebonnets on Friday.
But since I appreciate the cold weather, and wither at the thought of summer being just on the horizon, I thought I would celebrate some of my favorite cold weather dishes. Simply click on the names for the recipes.

At the top of my cold-weather comfort food list would be Chicken and Dumplings.
My girls' great grandmother shared this recipe with me when I was a young bride. Not only was it the first homemade chicken and dumplings I'd ever had, it was the first time I'd had dumplings that weren't giant Bisquick biscuits. It was love at first bite. Ever since then, it's been my first go-to whenever cold weather sets in.


Next on my list would be Loaded Baked Potato Soup.
I think this picture pretty much says it all.

Number three has to be good old fashioned Chicken Noodle Soup.


Loaded with chicken and veggies, not to mention legendary healing properties, this soup is a delicious treat on any cold day.
Another chart-topper would be Beef Stew.
This is a sorry picture, but the meal is to die for. A bowl of hot beef stew with a slice (or two) of fresh-baked bread... That's the stuff dreams are made of.

Last, but definitely not least, is Southwest Chicken Soup.


This soup is not only flavorful, it's a crockpot meal, meaning you can toss everything together in the morning and work or play right up until dinnertime. 

As I said at the beginning of my post, we are having a late-winter freeze here in Texas. The good thing is that it never lasts for long. We'll be back in the 70s by this weekend and next week we're planning to plant our spring flowers. I know that's hard to imagine when you're still looking at piles of snow. But spring will come.

In the meantime, what are some of your favorite cold-weather meals?




Three-time Carol Award finalist Mindy Obenhaus lives on a ranch in Texas with her husband, the youngest of her five children and two dogs. She's passionate about touching readers with Biblical truths in an entertaining, and sometimes adventurous, manner. When she's not writing, she enjoys cooking and spending time with her grandchildren. Learn more at mindyobenhaus.com




8 comments:

  1. Soups galore! Last year I made so much soup someone else asked me to dial back this year so sadly we have not had as much. That is crazy that you guys have that cold weather! Tradsies for negative temps?! Above zero has felt like a heat wave! Just talked to a gal in IL about the weather (our future home state) and they have had some warmer weather (30s/40s). Maybe we will get some of the warm weather you are missing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katie, that is so sad that you've had to dial back on the soups. Of course, your winters are a little longer than ours. I have to cram in as many soups and stews as I can because once spring hits, summer isn't far behind and that means it'll be months before I can make those dishes again.

      As far as the trade, I might go for a day or two, but I don't think I could take listening to my native-Texan husband grumble any longer than that. ;)

      Delete
  2. Oh mylanta, these all look so good as my fingers are numb.... and yes, I am inside. Dagnabbit!

    But I love the thought of spring coming and winter getting the boot... and I will enjoy grilling a burger and by September, I'll want scalloped potatoes again.

    We are so governed by our seasons, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruthy, I loved that pic of you on FB with the fur hat as you prepared to cook fish on the porch. You're such a trooper. Or like me in that, if we want fish, dadgummit, we're going to have fish. I know you are so ready for spring. I like spring, it's just knowing that summer is on its heels that gives me trepidation. We are, indeed, governed by our seasons.

      Delete
  3. Mindy, I just want to spend winter at your house next year! :)

    We turned cold again here, too. I hope we get the warm weather by the weekend as well. I'm so ready for spring. And the trees are too. So many are blooming now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Missy, now we have spring storms to look forward to. They're in the forecast for us this weekend.

      We had to cover a bunch of plants yesterday, knowing that we were getting down into the 20s overnight. Looks like they'll stay covered until tomorrow.

      And you are welcome to spend the winter with me. I guarantee you won't go hungry.

      Delete
  4. Those poor little blue bonnets must be shivering in their roots. We're getting snow today. Just for a little variety, you know? But I've started making garden plans while sitting in a sun patch with my heat cranked up. lol My wintery foodie go-tos are lentils soup and chili (not together) Oh and cheesy corn chowder and absolute comfort food -- tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwich. Sigh, I just had breakfast but I'm getting hungry. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kav, cheesy could chowder could easily go on my list. And tomato soup and grilled cheese are our go-to lunch on cold days. That is comfort food to the max.

      Hey, at least you have a sun patch. Even though we had some warm temperatures, February was one very gray month. I think I heard the weather guy mention something like only 3 days of sunshine last month. Fortunately, I like gray days, so I'm okay with that. I know, weird too. ;)

      Delete