Thursday, March 14, 2019

The Yank Does Something Healthy For Once!

So don't get used to this. This isn't like an everyday thing around here... not when the Good Lord gave us potatoes and Basmati rice and pasta...

And BREAD!!!!

But because this is my writing time of year, there is way too much sittin' going on so I have to be mindful of the fact that I'm not as active from January through March...

And there was this fish, just kind of hanging out in the fridge after we did a big fish fry on Monday to celebrate our daughter's visit...

And we stocked up on salad fixings because I don't want to buy new pants.

I would be so mad at myself to buy new clothes because I couldn't keep my hand out of the M&M jar!!!!

But I do love my candy/chocolate so that's a conundrum.

Oh, and desserts.

Yup.

Love them too. :)

But this was a lovely broiled fish and salad supper:


I am so impressed with myself right now. :)

And that means I have to eat the rest of the salad fixings before they go bad!!! Yikes!

Salad week at Ruthy's!  Spring mix, iceberg and broccoli slaw....



I Cajun broiled the haddock. Now I love haddock. It's amazing.... and I simply dribbled a little bit of olive oil onto the pan, heated it under the broiler, added the fish and sprinkled it liberally with Cajun seasoning and salt.

Do not tell me I need to reduce salt, there is only so much one gal can do, friends!

Then broiled for about six minutes....

And done.



And delicious!!!!

I am so happy right now.

During farm season I can pretty much ignore what I eat because I'm moving a lot.

Winter is different, and I have to recognize that. I should have recognized it in JANUARY, I know... but better late than never!

And this is a big birthday month in our family. Five birthdays.... in one month. And then one birthday and Easter... and then two birthdays and a hint of summer in May, which means yard work and planting and tending...

But March is tricky so I'm coupling this with Jesus's 40 days and nights. He was so brave. So true. So amazing.

So He is my inspiration to not give in to all the things I want to eat... and eat simply.

I am not, will not eat locusts and honey or other other bugs.

I am not that good!

But eating sensibly for the next six weeks shouldn't be a big deal... except in my head because we think about it...

Oy vay, we are such humans!

Here's some fun looks at our new ocean presented by The Mighty Finn and Princess Lena:





And check out this amazing sunrise with a cross aura...

Isn't that so cool??? It was 4 degrees on this morning, March 8th.... Four degrees in March...

And this is why people do their skeptical eyebrows about Global Warming or Climate Change even though it might be a thing...

Although anyone who lived through the Dust Bowl of the 1930's will probably say things couldn't get worse than that... at least in that region.  We learned a lot about the cycles of nature and the bonding of nature from above and below and how well they work together... because sometimes in our know-it-all-ness we mess with the order of things.

https://www.history.com/topics/great-depression/dust-bowl

The one thing we can probably all agree on is that things change... and our survival, that of any animal, depends on adaptation and adjustment.

And God gave us amazing brains and abilities, so I believe we've got this... eventually... and we'll adjust and adapt as needed.

But in the meantime it is 4 degrees here and I'm going to enjoy a little warmth when it comes my way!

Multi-published, award-winning author Ruth Logan Herne loves writing heart-stirring books with multi-dimensional characters and cute kids, some critters, good food, and wise mentors sprinkled throughout... find her on facebook and Twitter and you can visit her website ruthloganherne.com or email her at loganherne@gmail.com

8 comments:

  1. Oh Ruthy I gained the winter pounds for you! That new year's diet went out the door once we found out we were moving so soon. Even though our new town will still be close to some good eats (not eating out is half the battle) I am hopeful since I should not need to work as much (Yay!) I will have more time to be a little more like Susie homemaker! The other day I did get a couple cucumbers to make some creamy tomatoes and cucumbers subbing my home made yogurt instead of mayo and I am determined to use them so they dont go to waste like the baby cucumbers I bought and forgot about. Sigh, that disappointment when you find something you had a plan for and then forget. You aren't the only one who struggles to eat healthy! I try to cut candy, but someone else has a Drexler sweet tooth, and well that is a habit we are working on lol. Once we are no longer doing soda sales for our church there will be no more soda in our house! We had 2 beautiful days here (up to 60 I think) and then we got a blizzard. Not the ice cream kind either! Tried to get the dogs to jump in the snow with me, but they just ran around the pile lol I guess they made me for a fool. The temp wasn't that bad though if you are dressed for it so I might give them a go in the snow again if I don't have to work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katie, it's hard to get a firm handle on weight and eating healthy, isn't it? I think when my kids were small I realized two things: That if I kept smoking and gained weight I might not live to see my kids grow up... and they were more important than anything. So I quit smoking (Yes, I was a smoker!!!) and I allowed myself a ten lb. weight gain to get through.... and then I made sure I took that weight off later that year. It's so hard to break every day habits... so I understand.

      It's a tug-of-war, isn't it????

      I'm praying that your new move will be as healthy and wonderful as it can be.

      Delete
  2. Ha, ha, ha! I have to laugh about Katie's comment - "Drexler sweet tooth!" It's a thing. A real thing. Even when you only marry into the family. *sigh*

    I'm with you on those salads, Ruthy! I do love my salads, but when the outside is still screaming "winter" it's hard to get enthusiastic about cold food.

    I usually pair my salads with something hot in the winter, even if it's only a cup of broth. I have salmon in the freezer - I'll have to bring that out sometime when hubby is working during meal time.

    And yes, Katie and Jacob are moving. Twelve hours away. I have no cause to complain, though. We have been blessed with living in the same town for more than two years! God is good. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Twelve hours is hard.... Sarah and Otto and the kids are that far away and I'd love for them to be closer but on the other hand they're in a perfect spot for Nathan's tennis and Katie's tap dancing and little Annie would be happy anywhere. So we visit and they visit.

      And we moms have to cheer our young on, this is such a great opportunity for them....

      Salads.

      I do love them.

      But gosh, I love potatoes, too, Jan! :)

      Delete
  3. That does it! I'm moving next to you, so I can bribe you into cooking for me! Even salads look so much better when someone else makes them. I can pay you in book reviews and M&Ms (in the fall), or maybe I can just help on your farm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Winnie, yes! Move north and have fun and help on the farm. We love folks to come over and help out! :)

      The fish was amazing.... I may never fry fish again.

      I'm lying, I will fry fish, but not as often, this cajun haddock was that good.

      Thanks for stopping over, Winnie!

      Delete
  4. The fish sounds so good!

    And I do believe Lena is looking more and more like her daddy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. BTW, it was 56 degrees here this morning. And is now 72! Not to make you jealous or anything. :)

    ReplyDelete