Friday, March 29, 2019

Spring in Georgia

Missy Tippens

It seems everyone has been sharing spring in their area this week, so I figured it's time I share some too. Especially since we're going to be past the peak of flowering trees before long.

This is a beautiful tree, and I loved the lamp post in the photo. There's also nothing quite like the blue of the sky this time of year.


This is the view out our front window. It looks like snow!


And this is that same tree you can see through the window--across the street at the neighbor's house.


This photo has a terrible glare, but as you can see my camellia bush is loaded with blooms this year!



Below, a close up of a gorgeous tree near the grocery store. Yes, I parked in the bank parking lot and took a ton of photos!


 As you could see above, the Bermuda grass in our yard is still brown. But a few weeks ago, I snapped this photo at a nearby hotel. They'd just mowed the grass and I got my first whiff of freshly-cut grass of the year. Such a wonderful smell that brings memories of relaxing childhood days, listening to the drone of a lawnmower while the distinctive fragrance of summer wafts in the window. Ahhhh...


And because we usually talk about food, I thought I'd share this quick twist on comfort food that I saw last weekend on a Food Network show with Damaris Phillips. (Click here for recipe.)

Basically, Damaris doctored up macaroni and cheese with roasted veggies. It looked sooo good to me! Yesterday at lunch, I decided to just quickly roast the veggies but eat them by themselves. Next time, I'll take the time to make the mac and cheese first.

I used sliced portobello mushrooms, broke cauliflower into bite sized pieces, and cut fresh corn off the cob. I sprinkled with a little bit of olive oil and added seasoning salt, then roasted at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes. Before serving, I sprinkled the veggies with a few flakes of Maldon sea salt. (I can't tell you how much I LOVE Maldon flaked salt as a finishing touch on certain foods--especially corn!) With some grapes, this made a great meatless lunch!



www.missytippens.com

4 comments:

  1. Love the pictures, Missy. Isn't spring beautiful?

    So the other morning, I came into the kitchen to discover a foil-lined pan sitting on top of the stove. There were swirls of some sort of oil on it and... Wait for it... Something that looked like bits of broccoli. Would you believe your 20 yo son actually roasted broccoli for himself and his girlfriend. Knowing I didn't have any fresh broccoli, I asked him if he used frozen. He did! I asked him how it was and he said, "All right." Talk about shocked mama.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mindy, that's amazing!! I'm impressed with your son!

      Delete
  2. Oh, my heart is ready for flowers. Those are gorgeous trees, Missy. And I love that time of year when the trees burst into bloom... so lovely.

    A few folks try growing some form of magnolia up here.

    It is a wasted effort. The trees or bushes aren't anything like their Southern counterparts and the blossoms last about a day before a cold snap or wind and rain bring them all down in a hail of sadness... Apple and cherry blossoms are heartier and last longer, so they're happy here...

    That camellia bush.

    OH MY STARS.

    Gorgeous!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love magnolias so much. I would miss them if I moved up there!

      Delete