Monday, March 25, 2019

Easy Chocolate Eclairs



Missy shared about a new tradition at her church last Friday. The High Tea sounds so elegant and fun, and definitely Southern! If you missed that post, you can read it here.

Isn't it great when churches have traditions like that? Times of fellowship and food, and perfect events to invite friends along for the fun.

Our church has a few traditions, too. Our Great Christmas Tree Hunt and Chili Supper is one of our favorites, but it's a long time until the first Sunday in December! So we have other fellowship times scattered through the year.

Another favorite is "Pasta and Music Night." A couple Sunday evenings a year, we have dinner together, then we are entertained by the musically talented folks in our congregation. Some are wonderfully talented, some are just beginning their musical journeys, and others (raising my hand!) are just having some fun.

Last night, my oldest son and I played a duet together for the first time. He's recently taken up the violin again after many years, so with him on the violin and me accompanying him on the piano, we shared this plaintive piece from Ken Burn's Civil War (note: this is NOT us playing!)


I've grown to love this song. It has been my writing background music as I've been working on The Amish of Weaver's Creek series that takes place during the Civil War.

But the evening isn't only music! It's Pasta and music night, so we had plenty of food, too!

I took one of my favorite carry-in desserts. I've shared it here before, but it's been a few years. This is so easy and sooo good! And it disappears quickly! I usually have to sneak a serving into the refrigerator for our pastor just so he can have some!

Easy Chocolate Eclairs




Filling:

1 (8 oz). tub frozen whipped topping, thawed
1 large (6 servings) box vanilla instant pudding
3 cups milk
1 (16 oz.) box graham crackers

Topping:

1 cup sugar
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1/3 cup milk
1/2 cup butter
1 teaspoon vanilla


Mix together the whipped topping, pudding and 3 cups milk. Place a layer of graham crackers in the bottom of a 9" x 13" baking dish (you can break them apart to fit), then cover with 1/2 of the pudding mixture. Repeat, and then add a third layer of graham crackers. (I never use all the graham crackers).

Now for the topping. In a saucepan over medium-high heat, stir together sugar, cocoa and 1/3 cup milk just until boiling. Remove from heat. Stir in butter and vanilla. Pour into a medium mixing bowl and cool, stirring often.

Hint: this is your time to change the laundry, or read a book, or take a cat-nap...

Once it's cool, pour evenly over your eclairs. The topping will ooze its way around until the whole surface is covered.

Refrigerate for at least 12 hours. IF there are any leftovers, store in the refrigerator.

This is a great make-ahead for covered dish dinners. Once you make it, the only problem you have is keeping people from sneaking tastes ahead of time :)

And yes, you can substitute ingredients! If you make homemade pudding, use 3 cups and then don't use the 3 cups milk. Whipped cream can be substituted for the whipped topping - I think you'll need about 4 cups.

I've also had this made with Club crackers instead of graham crackers. They give it a very different, kind of sweet/salty taste.

* * * * * 

In other news, our blizzard from last week is gone! The snow has melted into tiny, icy piles, and you would never know they were four to six feet high a week ago!

Of course, melting snow means water, water, and more water downstream and downriver from us. Our little creek behind our house empties into another creek, then the Cheyenne River, then the Missouri...and adds even more water to the flooded areas of Nebraska and Iowa. Continue to keep those farmers and ranchers in your prayers!

We don't have any flowers yet, but we did see our first robin the other day! And the house finches are checking out last year's nest under our deck. From the sounds of their cheeping in the morning, I think it meets with their approval. :-)

I love our little finches, and their song is lovely.



How is spring looking (and sounding) around your house this week?






Jan Drexler lives in the Black Hills of South Dakota with her husband and growing family. When she isn't writing, she loves hiking in the Hills or satisfying her cross stitch addiction.
You can find Jan on Facebook, Jan Drexler, author, or her website, Jan Drexler.com.

6 comments:

  1. I have this same recipe, Jan. And guess where I got it? At a church social. ;) I haven't made it in forever, though. Probably because I'm apt to eat it all myself. Let's see, when is the next potluck?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! That's the same reason why I save this for potlucks, too! I have a small serving at the potluck and enjoy it...and I never have to worry about leftovers hanging around and tempting me!

      Delete
  2. Jan, that looks so delicious!! And so easy to make! I'll have to try it.

    I also love the term "carry-in," which I had never heard until you used it when you started blogging with us. That ties in with Erica's post today about dialects! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is SO easy to make!

      And "carry-in" is a term from my childhood. No one around here uses it, so it must be a northern Indiana thing. :-)

      Delete
  3. Oh, this piece of music is so beautiful. As we've stopped at Civil War Battlefields the past few years, I'm just in awe of what people were willing to do to gain freedom for all. Yes, it's still a struggle and there are lots of folks still working for and waiting for equal rights.... but we've come a long way and we have so much to be grateful for. So we keep on chugging.

    And this dessert recipe is so fun. I've actually done it with a 13 x 9 cake and then cut it into two thin layers (and that means I have to "shave" the rounded top off because you want the chocolate to spread evenly, so then we get to eat CAKE TOP!!! BONUS!!!!) Then the pudding (real or instant, my kids are such traitors... they love instant pudding.)

    Whipped topping.... repeat and finish with the chocolate. So the only basic difference is using the cake and that's because I don't like graham crackers to get soggy.

    #FirstWorldProblems

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Slicing the cake to make the eclairs? That sounds delicious...but not easy. Think of the graham crackers as thin little slices of cake and throw that word "soggy" out the window!

      #FirstWorldSolutions

      Delete