Monday, March 4, 2019

Armadillo's Ice Cream Means Spring?

Two years ago this week, I wrote a post I called "Spring Means Armadillo's Ice Cream." (you can find that post here.) But this year...well, spring seems to be lost.

We're still in the middle of an arctic freeze, with high temperatures hovering around zero over the weekend. You'd think that would mean that we would forego celebrating the opening of our favorite local ice cream shop, but no way.

Those of us who live in the North don't let little things like snow and sub-zero temperatures stop us!


The flavor of the day was Strawberry Butter (YUM!!!), but you could also choose the standards - chocolate or vanilla.

And of course all of the delicious sundaes, shakes, and malts were available, along with the usual menu of soups, sandwiches and their signature steamburgers.

My favorite sundae creation -
the Salty Dog

But if the calendar says it's March, and Armadillo's is serving ice cream, doesn't that mean spring should be here?

This...


...instead of this?


This...


...instead of this?



This...


...and this...


...instead of this?


You would think so.

But after our cold weekend, we have a high temperature of 13° today, with blustery winds and a wind chill of -40°. That's Fahrenheit. That's cold.

I think I'll stay in and write.

Yes, there's a silver lining to every gray cloud!




Jan Drexler lives in the Black Hills of South Dakota with her husband and growing family. When she isn't writing, she loves hiking in the Hills or satisfying her cross stitch addiction.

You can find Jan on Facebook, Jan Drexler, author, or her website, Jan Drexler.com.



6 comments:

  1. Jan, I'm sorry, but if I'm cold I just can't wrap my brain around eating ice cream. Maybe atop a warm slice of pie or a hot apple crisp, but just ice cream. Not today. And we are at freezing today, believe it or not. Of course, we'll be I the 70s by the weekend. And so goes winter in Texas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If we waited for warm weather to eat ice cream, we'd never have it!

      Even on a cold, snowy day, it tastes soooo good!

      Delete
  2. Yikes! That's a fierce windchill! But the sun is warmer. That's what I keep telling myself. And it's starting to melt the snow and ice...a bit. And I heard birds chirruping this morning. Even our over-wintering birds have been uncannily quiet this year but I think the sun is cheering them up. It's certainly cheering me up! I should celebrate with something ice creamy as well. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The windchill is gone this afternoon and it's been sunny all day! If you ignore the thermometer, it's a beautiful day. :-)

      And I heard birds this morning when I took the dogs out. I agree with you - I think the sun cheers them up!

      Delete
  3. Oh, I am with you as I write in 6 degrees and cooked fish on the porch last night with the stinkin' wind howling... and then I tell myself that no one appreciates spring... the flowers... trees.... leaves.... green grass... like those of us in the North and then...

    I remind myself of a study that was done about chickadees... (I Love Studies That Prove Me Right!!!) ... that the northern chickadees were stronger, more resilient and lived longer and were more creative in rearing their young than their southern counterparts because they had to deal with more adversity in their little chickadee lives! :)

    Their weather forged them to be strong and rugged and bold.

    That's my story and I'm stickin' to it, LOL!

    I went to Abbott's Frozen Custard on opening day, too... and God bless these places for opening probably weeks before they should to give us hope. :)

    Jan, love the pics! SOON....

    The groundhog is stupid, he is a no-nothing rodent-like creature because no one in their right mind expects spring before April around here... but that's only three weeks away, and it will bring rain and mud but also... DAFFODILS. And Easter.

    Ahh....

    Then I know it's real!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jan, I'm so glad you got your ice cream anyway! My recent favorite is TCBY frozen yogurt with my mom. They have no-sugar-added for her, and then I get a variety of flavors in one bowl. I love it!

    I hope you get a taste of spring soon. It's been wonderful here (when it's not raining!).

    ReplyDelete