Friday, March 1, 2019

Apple and Gouda Pigs in a Blanket

Missy Tippens

I tried a new recipe last week that I took to a dinner and concert, where everyone at the table brought heavy hors d'oeuvres. When I started to plan what I would take, I did a Google search and came up with this recipe at the Taste of Home website. Here's a link to the original recipe (click here) for the detailed directions.

You take store bought crescent rolls and cut them into triangles.

Then you wrap the dough around thin slices of apple, gouda cheese and cocktail sausages.

Oh my goodness, they were so good!


I preheated the sausages in a skillet to try to get some of the grease out. Then I drained them on paper towels. I did not want soggy appetizers!


While those cooled, I sliced the peeled and cored apples. And sliced the gouda cheese (and tried not to eat it all! The two together are amazing!).

At this point, I forgot to take a photo of the rolled appetizers so snuck a shot of them in the oven. I made almost a double recipe (ran out of time and had to put the rest in the fridge so we wouldn't be late!). One recipe makes 24.


I almost forgot to take a photo. They had to be transported, so I packed them in a dish with paper towels to try to keep them from getting soggy yet to also keep them warm. Here's a quick peek right before we rushed out of the house. Ooey, gooey melted cheese, tasty sausages, and that bit of sweet and crisp apple all wrapped in buttery dough. YUM.


These are so simple to make if you have a little time for the prep. You should give them a try!


www.missytippens.com

10 comments:

  1. Missy, this is an interesting take on an old standby. That sweet and savory combo would be yummy. You could even leave out the little smokies and it would still be yummy. Okay, now I've got a craving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mindy, it would be goo that way! I love apples and cheese together.

      Delete
  2. The old standby of the little smokies wrapped in crescent roll dough was one of my children's favorites when they were growing up, and my mom made them every Christmas.

    But to add the cheese and apple? I wouldn't have ever thought of that, and it sounds delicious!

    I'm saving this recipe for the next carry-in! Folks are going to love these. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, you'll have to let us know how they like it!

      Delete
  3. This sounds wonderful! I can't wait to try them, Missy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! I was asked to bring pigs in a blanket to a baby shower next week. Thanks for sharing these just in time! Everyone will love them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's perfect timing! I hope you enjoy them, Pat!

      Delete
  5. This sounds delicious, Missy. I love apples and cheese, so adding them seems a natural.

    ReplyDelete