Thursday, February 28, 2019

BREAD IS NOT THE ENEMY!!!!

Cate inspired me yesterday because I love bread.

I won't pretend I don't. Low carb diets are a pain in the neck and even though I know I should be feasting on jerky or beans...

I love bread.

I love sweet bread and savory bread and cheesy bread and everything bread and cinnamon bread and there is something so absolutely marvelously wholesome about homemade bread.

And I've been writing historicals so the making of bread is RESEARCH. :)

I had to do it!!!!

Yesterday was a preschool day with Laney and The Mighty Finn and our focus was science. To that end our "experiments" are recipes.... and yesterday's recipe was to make bread. Which turned into "Everything" bread, where the fresh bread dough is plastered with a combo of poppy/sesame/garlic/onion/salt and then baked to be a delicious melt-in-your-mouth bit of deliciousness. I believe I ended up calling that "supper".... And it was so good with grated Parmesan melted on top.

(CONFESSION: I WILL NEVER BE A SKINNY PERSON)

So we did this and I got a few fun videos of the "Littles" as we studied. Now this was AFTER Lena turned the mixer on full speed, filled with flour, and we had flour everywhere! In my hair, all of us, the counter, the floor, the chair. Oh my stars it was so funny! One must have a sense of humor when cooking with preschoolers.

We used the basic Betty Crocker White Bread recipe that is my go-to basic dough for so many things. I love this bread dough!!!!

Here's the link to the recipe: https://yankeebellecafe.blogspot.com/2017/04/i-had-to-go-to-archives-this-week.html


Here's a play by play of the initial EXPLOSION of flour!!!!
Oops, turning the mixer on to "high" isn't suggested before the flour is mixed in, LOL!


Now this is worth checking out the video version because when the bread got kneaded, it rolled up the dough hook and tried to take over the world... which made the kids get very excited! This is where they decided it was "tornado bread".



Tornado Bread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzaB_uzVwOg&feature=youtu.be



Almost dropped Tornado bread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jazy4F3vFQ&feature=youtu.be



Ready for the oven: Everything Tornado Bread:



The final loaf (this is an artisan free-form loaf.... the typical loaf went home with Jon because this recipe makes two big loaves...


And then this.... a slice of fresh buttered everything tornado bread with grated Parmesan cheese...

How can I resist???? (Clearly I could not!)

This was our Super Snow Moon or whatever it was, but isn't it so pretty through the trees? And we don't see too many moonlit nights in the winter, so this was a treat!


So that's the fun going on here.

It is still snowing.

The crazy horrible winds of the weekend are over.

But the snow has returned and it hasn't stopped since yesterday morning...

And we're tired of it now and there is no end in sight.

Be that as it may, I am having so much fun with my books that I can pretend it's any season I want!!!

JUST RELEASED ON TUESDAY!!!! MY FIRST FULL-LENGTH HISTORICAL ROMANCE!!!! KINDLE EDITION LINK RIGHT HERE!!!!

When a "Mr. Darcy"-like hero finds his father's illegitimate five-year-old son on his doorstep, he takes him  in despite the ensuing damage to his reputation as an upstanding citizen when the town assumes the boy is his... his son, his progeny.  Seb has never wasted time caring what others think, but he'll do whatever he needs to in order to protect his mother and sisters from his father's scandals.

But when his attraction to the new schoolteacher grows, will her affiliation with him cost her the job she's longed for and deserved? A woman who consorts with a man of loose morals probably shouldn't be teaching the youth of the town, and there are a few folks in town who are willing to say that out loud.

Seb's good deed might backfire on him, but when his mother and sisters come to town, the stakes get higher and he's got to do whatever he can to protect his family. But will it cost him his love?

Multi-published, bestselling inspirational author Ruth Logan Herne is living her dream of writing great stories and baking with little kids because how can that be bad???

Find her on facebook or twitter, visit her website ruthloganherne.com or email her at loganherne@gmail.com. She loves to chat with readers!

11 comments:

  1. The YouTube videos are cuteness overload!!!

    And what's not to love about bread? I love bread, too...but too much will do a number on my body. And believe me, when you're baking for only two in the house, too much bread is a reality!

    But you've inspired me. My husband will love this quick, simple supper. Maybe with some chicken/vegetable soup on the side!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chicken soup and bread is one of my favorites! I LOVE IT!!!!!

      And you're right, I've only baked bread a few times this winter because I'm so busy writing in the winter that I'm not exercising like I do during farm season, so I actually have to pay attention... but I do kind of hate that bread gets a bad rap.

      Candy should get a bad rap.

      Not bread!!! :)

      ONE DAY TIL THE ICE CREAM SHOPS BY YOU AND ME OPEN!!!!

      Delete
  2. That is soooo cute. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim, so nice to see you over here! You're welcome! Aren't they a hoot???

      Delete
  3. I love bread, too! Unfortunately! This sounds so wonderful! Looks like you had a great time! You're the best grandma ever in the history of time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my stars, I do love working with kids in the kitchen. They're such little sponges about learning this, that and the other thing!

      Delete
  4. I love bread too! A couple of pieces of warm French bread topped with butter makes a good supper for me as well, especially if I don't feel like cooking. I'm not able to take the medicine for my osteoporosis, so the doctor said to eat extra dairy. Between bread and ice cream and milkshakes, I don't think I'm ever going to reach my weight goal either.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Linda, that's a hard edge to walk, isn't it??? Extra dairy and the weight.... slog... slog... slog.... but I'm of a mind that skin-and-bones is over-rated. :) So we'll be the more typical Grandmas on the block and be happy just like that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute kids and fresh baked bread... Ruthy, it doesn't get any better than that. Unless it's EVERYTHING bread, then it's better. I have a packet of EVERYTHING seasoning I got as a free sample the last time I ordered spices. Now I know exactly how to put it to use.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh that bread looks so good. Everything bagels were always my favorite. And cute kids to make the bread. Sweet times. Thanks for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ruthy, they are just adorable!!! And the bread looks amazing. I want fresh bread now!

    Your story sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete