Tuesday, January 22, 2019

Great Tasting, Low-Fat, Budget Friendly Comfort Food

Yep, that title definitely sums up good, old-fashioned Beans and Rice.
Growing up in Michigan, beans (pinto, navy, black, etc) rarely showed up at our house. If they did, it was in the form of baked beans. Then I moved to Texas where beans, usually pinto, are a staple. Not only in barbecue restaurants, but in many kitchens. Why? Because they're cheap. But, lo and behold, they're actually good for you. Low in fat (depending on how you cook them), loaded with fiber and they're a good source of lean protein. And everything you need to make them is probably in your pantry.

But how does one cook beans? Low and slow. Although, nowadays, you can cook them much quicker in an Instant Pot, which I've done once, but I wasn't pleased with the result, so that's a work-in-progress. That said, one of my favorite things about beans is that I can put them on to cook early in the day and, pretty much, ignore them until it's time to eat.

Now, a lot of people soak their beans. This is something I have never been able to remember to do. Probably because I don't plan that far ahead. So I use a quick-soak method. Simply put the dried beans in the bottom of a large Dutch oven and cover with an inch or so of water. I used a one pound bag of pinto beans.
Put on the stove over high heat until it begins to boil. Reduce heat to medium to medium-high and continue to boil for 10 minutes.
Remove from heat and drain in a colander. 

Return beans to pot and add:
  • 1 medium to large onion, chopped
  • 1-2 cloves of garlic, minced
Next, add 1 - 14 oz can diced tomatoes. If I have them, I like to use the variety with celery, onion and bell pepper added.
Pour in 2 - 32 oz containers low-sodium chicken broth. Or you can do one carton chicken broth and one vegetable broth. If you want to keep it vegetarian, use all vegetable broth. Cooking the beans in broth versus water and a ham hock keeps them low in fat, but still loaded with flavor.

Then add your seasonings:
  • 1/2 - 1 Tablespoon salt (I know this seems like a lot, but as with most proteins, beans need extra salt)
  • 1/2 Tablespoon ground black pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon cumin
Stir to combine.
Cook over high heat until mixture comes to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to low. You want them to cook at just above a simmer. Continue to cook 5 to 6 hours (or more, if you like) until beans are tender.

You can eat the beans alone, as a soup or serve them over cooked rice.
You can even add some smoked sausage.

This is one of my husband's favorite meals. And I like that I can make it in advance. So it's a win-win all around.

While I waiting for the rice to cook, I saw the most lovely sunset. Something we don't often get to see with all of the trees. But here it's illuminating the lake.
What's the weather doing in your part of the world? Were you hit by Harper? Are you buried under snow or ice? Wouldn't a steaming hot bowl of beans hit the spot?


Three-time Carol Award finalist, Mindy Obenhaus lives on a ranch in Texas with her husband, the youngest of her five children and two dogs. She's passionate about touching readers with Biblical truths in an entertaining, and sometimes adventurous, manner. When she’s not writing, she enjoys cooking and spending time with her grandchildren. Learn more at www.MindyObenhaus.com 

7 comments:

  1. Ohhhh -- I didn't know that snowstorm had a name! It hit us hard. We had a ton of snow and coldest temps on record and blowing snow whiteouts and...it's starting all over again tomorrow only warming up enough to add freezing rain to it all. Gah! Definitely the kind of weather for a hearty bean reacipe.

    Here's where I make an embarrassing confession (especially since I'm a vegetarian). I've never had success with cooking beans. I always used canned beans for my recipes. Which is silly. But I've never tried it this way so I'm going to give it a go and I'll let you know how it goes. Of course, instead of the added sausage at the end I'd go with a diced veggie burger of some kind! And great idea about serving it on rice. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kav, my vegetarian friend, I had a feeling this recipe might be up your alley. But holy cow! Coldest temps on record? Whiteouts? Sounds like a reason to stay home and read. But then, you never do that, do you? ;)

      Delete
    2. And I don't know when someone decided to start naming winter storms. Kind of weird, if you ask me. Then again, I guess it would be a point of reference.

      Delete
  2. I'm with you on the beans, Mindy. It must be a Michigan thing, combined with the Pennsylvania Dutch ancestry. Navy bean soup was the only way we ate beans until I was in high school.

    Your timing for this post is great. I saw a story on the news last week about the importance of increasing fiber in our diets. So between the health benefits and the low-cost, I'm going to try to do a bean recipe twice a week.

    We'll see how long it lasts!

    But I'll be adding your beans and rice to the menu next week. I've looked a several recipes that mix the two together, but that isn't my favorite. But having the rice separate? That might be perfect.

    And of course I'll add the smoked sausage...or maybe add some leftover ham to the beans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, this recipe is a tasty was to get your fiber. And you probably have just about everything you need in your pantry.

      Delete
  3. I'm having this debate on beans. I'd been living on lentils and chickpea and beans. But then there has been all this publicity about lectins and how they harm your digestive system. I'm having enough problems with that.

    But honestly, you could go crazy listening to all the conflicting advice, and this looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary Cate, if this carnivore enjoys a good bowl of beans and rice even without the smoked sausage, you know it's got to be good.

      Delete