Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Braised Short Ribs

I love short ribs. They're like a decadent comfort food. And I've had some sitting in my freezer for months, just awaiting that perfect day when I was motivated enough to take the time to fix them. Well, that day came this past weekend. It's not that they're difficult to make, but the prep does take a little time. Of course, once the prep is done, that's about it. They cook, you serve. Easy peasy.


Here's what you'll need for these deliciously braised short ribs:
  • 3-4 lbs. short ribs, you can use boneless or bone-in
  • Salt
  • Pepper
  • 1/3 cup flour
  • Bacon, cut into small pieces (about 4 strips if you're using thick-sliced like I did or 6 regular slices)
  • 2-3 tablespoons cooking oil 
  • 3 carrots, sliced
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 32 oz beef broth
  • 1/2 tsp dried thyme
  • 1/2 tsp dried rosemary
Preheat your oven to 300 degrees.

Season your ribs with salt and pepper.
Then lightly dredge in flour.
Set aside.

In a large Dutch oven, over medium heat, cook the bacon until all of the fat is rendered and the meat is crispy, but not burned.
Remove bacon to paper towel.

Crank up the heat to high and add your oil to the bacon fat. Brown the ribs in batches.
Remove from pan and set aside.

Lower the heat and add the carrots, onion and garlic.
Stir that around for a minute or so, then add a little bit of the beef broth, scraping the bottom of the pan to incorporate all those little bits of meat.

Add the remainder of the broth, 1 teaspoon salt and pepper to taste and bring to a boil.
Now add your browned ribs and top with thyme and rosemary.
And don't forget about that cooked bacon.
Cover and place pot in oven for two-and-half to three hours.

Remove from oven and allow to rest with the lid on for at least 20 minutes.
Oh, the aromas of this feast will have you counting the seconds.

I like to whip up a batch of creamy cheese grits to serve with these. You can find that recipe here. But if you prefer, mashed potatoes are an option, too.

So here we are, two weeks into 2019. Life has been fairly peaceful here at the ranch, which is good since I have proposal due at the end of this month and I'm also working through line edits. Though I did have to pause to celebrate my baby's birthday Sunday. How he can be 20, I have no idea. It seems like only yesterday I was cradling him in my arms. Time sure has a way of flying by, making me realize just how important it is to savor every moment. Something that's hard to wrap your head around when you're dealing with the terrible twos or three AM feedings. Then one day you wake up and realize those challenges may not have been so bad after all. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger, right?

Now it's your turn. What are some of your favorite comfort foods? Do you have a favorite dish you love to indulge in but don't make it very often because it requires too much effort? 



Three-time Carol Award finalist, Mindy Obenhaus lives on a ranch in Texas with her husband, the youngest of her five children and two dogs. She's passionate about touching readers with Biblical truths in an entertaining, and sometimes adventurous, manner. When she’s not writing, she enjoys cooking and spending time with her grandchildren. Learn more at www.MindyObenhaus.com 
  

10 comments:

  1. I've never considered cooking short ribs for myself (nor do I foresee it), but I have had them out and really liked them. Thanks for the recipe, Mindy! The way you cooked them reminds me of how I've done pot roast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary Cate, they are very much akin to pot roast but, somehow, better. I think it's because it's a smaller piece of meat, versus a big ole roast. So the flavor is amplified. Whatever the case, you come see me, Mary Cate, and we'll cook short ribs together.

      Delete
    2. I will come see you. And eat brisket and short ribs and cake and cookies and cupcakes.

      This looks marvelous, Mindy.

      Cate, I'll cook for you, too....

      Come north for a visit, darling.

      Delete
    3. Sounds like a party to me, Ruthy!

      Delete
  2. Hmmm...favourite comfort food? Well....I'm guessing you mean aside from chocolate?! Mac and cheese screams comfy cozy to me. And, oddly enough, lentil soup. I found a recipe in the paper when I was pregnant and I practically lived on it for months and it became a staple after my daughter was born too. It's her comfort food now as well. We even devour it in the summer! Just call us crazy vegetarians!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kav, mac and cheese is at the top of my comfort food list, too. But soup in the summer? I had a boss that did that. That's just crazy.

      Delete
  3. I AM SO HUNGRY RIGHT NOW!!!! I WANT ALL OF THIS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Ruthy, you know better than to stop by the café when you're hungry.

      Delete
  4. I have a whole list of comfort food! Not sure I could name one or two even because it depends on my mood. I like friend chicken, but my husband doesn't :( and I'm not good at making it so it doesn't get made in our house, but give me some fried chicken with some chicken gravy and some fresh biscuits and I am a happy lady! I have never made braised short ribs. Maybe one day when I get brave!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katie, I know what you mean about moods. Just because something sounds good one day, doesn't mean it'll sound good the next. I make some good fried chicken, just never do it. I need to remedy that.

      Delete